My 3 morning 26 Coyote Hunt with Tony T

SHampton

I got to Lovington late Thur night. Friday morning on our first stand we called in a single. She saw the dogs and just stood and watched at about 75 yards, then she trotted off about 300 yards and stopped. Pup distress brought her back running. We were trying to get some footage of some dog work but she wanted no part of it. Went ahead and killed her because the rancher likes dead coyotes. Two blank stands after that then we called in a big male. He didn't want to engage the dogs either. He stood in front of us at 100 yards for over 3 minutes then he left. Saturday morning.... Driving in we past three seperate coyotes standing less than than 50 yards from the road. They just stood and watched us. Our first stand we called in a double. They watched the dogs from about 200 yards for over a minute then slipped away. On the way to the next stand we saw a coyote on the oil field road. We drove passed where he crossed and we stopped to study terrain and 4 more coyotes crossed the road less than 150 yards from us. We watched them for a few minutes. 2 of them layed under mesquite bushes and the other 2 wandered off out of sight. We drove about 3/4 of a mile on in and picked a spot we both thought would produce, and oh did it! We start calling and a double comes in and they lock in on the dogs about the same time they get down wind at about 200 yards. Then a single comes in from the same direction. They all leave and a few minutes later we have another one coming in hard. My 8 month old pup Chaos runs to her and barks but she doesn't stop until she is about 50 yards out, then she turns and watches Chaos for about a minute. Gunner and Havoc go out to her and she leaves. They trail her out of sight so we beep them back. They come back with 2 coyotes almost directly beside them. We finally get some good footage. The coyotes didn't want to fight or be aggressive but they did come in really close. After they leave we go to pup distress and a young male comes in and we kill him. Driving out we see 1 more coyote about 150 yards out. We circle around and park and try to call him in with no luck. We hit one more spot and a single comes in and gets on his belly when he sees the dogs, we had a one minute 20 second standoff and kill him. Sunday.... A couple of blank stands. Started hand calling and had jack rabbits dang near running over the dogs to see what was going on. We set up on a coyote we spotted and couldn't get him to come in. Then 3 seperate groups start howling very near us. We drive 1/2 mile and park. We spot a coyote 300 yards out walking in. Wind in our face and it has no clue we are there. We sit down and it is walking back toward us. We start calling and the coyote walks into a dry lake bed and we never see it again. Next stand we have a very pale coyote come in. Chaos barks and runs out to it. Coyote stops and looks and Chaos goes on out. The coyote trots off to about 200 yards. I shoot and miss, only because Tony told a joke about the time I shot, haha. Next stand we have a triple come in. Chaos barks and runs out like a champ! The 2 in the front start walking toward her and she comes back to us. The 3rd coyote is off to the left. We had some good footage so we shot the spectator over to the left. Hit him a little low. He runs off and the dogs follow. The other 2 circle way off to the right about 300 yards out. We switch to pup distress and they don't want any part of it. As soon as the dogs get the shot coyote bayed up and start to bark 1 of the coyotes starts circling around. I have no shot so I hustle down to where the dogs are. When I get there the coyote is 4 feet up in a mesquite bush! Havoc is at the bush and Gunner is having a standoff with the coyote that circled around! Gunner is close to the line of fire so I wait until the coyote trots away and I shoot him. The treed coyote in the mean time has ran off and Havoc has him in another tree! He jumps out of the tree when I run up and I get the dogs out of the way and finish him. All in all we saw 26 coyotes. Shot at 6 and killed 5. We let several walk because we mainly wanted to get some footage of the dogs working. We got some decent stuff but the coyotes weren't very aggressive. I talked to Btech29 and he and Kelly Jackson hunted in KS and they weren't working the dogs there either. We were back in the cool every morning by 10. We had a blast and got to observe some very interesting coyote behavior. Tony is a class act as a guide and a friend. I highly recommend his services to anyone that wants to learn more about coyote hunting or just wants to hunt areas that are full of coyotes and have a great time doing it.

ham7.jpg

ham1.jpg

gff11.jpg

gff10.jpg

be12.jpg

be11.jpg

be8.jpg

be6.jpg

be5.jpg

Nominated for Hunt Of The Month

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics, great story Scott. Nice to see Havoc working so well. I was trying to get out with Tony next month but between his and my vacations it doesn't look like it will be until August. That will give Shiloh some more school time. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

26 coyotes? Shoot....it's all in a day's work here.
lol.gif
Just kidding. We had some good luck and in some good areas. It was great having you down again Scott. You are welcome here anytime. It was really, really neat to see Chaos turn on. To watch that 8 month old pup start figuring it out and engage incoming coyotes on her own, was a pure joy and made it all worth it. Watching a young dog excel in their learning is one of my favorite things, second only to calling up a coyote.

We had to fight thunderstorms every day, but I think it was the blessing in disguise. The barometric pressure was bouncing across the board and all animals were moving like crazy....including coyotes. We got some great footage and it'll be featured on a DVD. I've watched it like 12 times already.
smile.gif

I saw some pretty fine shooting on your part. My most favorite one was this 1.85 minute standoff that finished with a tip over.

gff1.jpg

gff2.jpg

The only problem is....you are so freaking big, that you make our NM coyotes look like dinks!

gff5.jpg

Thanks...Tony

very good story and pics Scott.... It's a good thing I don't live closer to Tony's place... because I'd probably be under foot all the time.... great stuff out there...

Great Story fellas. You have more will power than I do, I would be trying to kill every yote within range. But I'm sure it was cool to watch the dogs work.

Back