thoughts on barnes tsx for 22-250

midwestpredator

Im looking into the 53gr or 55gr. Anyone have experience with them? Pros and cons? Any load data? Id like to use AR comp since I already have it, possibly 2000 MR would be another choice.

When I had my 22-250 I looked into the 53 grain tsx but never tried them. Depending on your twist rate you might be unable to stabilize the 55gr. they are a pretty heavily constructed bullet, I bet they would kill coyotes easily.

Your twist rate will be the limiting factor. Barnes bullets are solid copper. This means that to get to the same weight as a lead core bullet there has to be more bullet length and more copper in the bullet to make it the same weight.

The length of the Barnes bullet usually requires more twist, or rpm on the bullet to stabilize it.

Ya I was worried about that as the 53gr say 1:12 on the box but on the website it says 1:12 for. 223 and 1:14 for 22 250 so emailed them and they said with the extra speed of the 250 a 1:14 will stabilize in the 250. They are supposed to be sending me a few bullets to try out compliments of barnes, this was almost 2 weeks ago and I have not yet received them. Im hoping they show up this week.

You have a really great alternative which is the 63g Sierra and the 64g Winchester which are both good in 1-14 twists, about 34g of IMR 4350 and a Win primer is the ticket(work up to this load). The win will for sure shoot through both shoulders, tad tougher than the Sierra.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorIm looking into the 53gr or 55gr. Anyone have experience with them? Pros and cons? Any load data? Id like to use AR comp since I already have it, possibly 2000 MR would be another choice.

A very good choice!! Back it up with some Varget and you will never look back. I've herd all the flap about twist and all but My T/C is a 1 /14 and if you run your bullet around 3800 fps there isn't a problem. I get a group the size of a nickel at 200 yards on a calm day off my shooting sticks...

I don't see the 53 being a problem if you push it hard enough. Likely, your groups will shrink drastically as you work up the load.

i shoot the 50gr in my 1-14 savage over 36gr 4064.usually any bullet and same load of 4064 and varget are the same but the barnes liked the 4064 better.the 53 wouldnt stabilize.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorYa I was worried about that as the 53gr say 1:12 on the box but on the website it says 1:12 for. 223 and 1:14 for 22 250 so emailed them and they said with the extra speed of the 250 a 1:14 will stabilize in the 250. They are supposed to be sending me a few bullets to try out compliments of barnes, this was almost 2 weeks ago and I have not yet received them. Im hoping they show up this week.

Elevation, and barometer seem to be the deciding factors.

I am at 6000' plus. I can stabilize the 53gr v-max [.829 long] no problem from a -14 twist at 3750fps plus, but guys lower in elevation, and subsequent higher mercury on the barometer have trouble stabilizing or can't stabilize at all. I am on the ragged edge according to the SG numbers, but it works for me.

The Barnes 53gr TSX is .792 long, so if you can push it to 3750-3800fps, I think it will go to sleep and fly.

Thanks for the input. Just got my bullets to test from barnes so im going to load them up right not however, they sent me the wrong ones. I wanted 53gr and 55gr and they sent 45gr and 50gr so I guess ill start with those and see where that leads me.

Well I decided I wanted to try the 53grtsx so I went out and bought 50rds and im thinking I wasted my time and money. Loaded up 32.5-34.5gr of AR comp and they shot like sheet. 33.5gr gave me 1in 3shot groups and 34gr were 1.2in groups. All the rest were down right awefull. Some hit paper others didn't. I would put up a pic but its just not worth it.

While not a 22-250 but I'm running the 53-62gr TSX in a 223 and not a hog lost yet with either. It would only get better with a 250 as all experience I have is the faster you push the tsx/ttsx the better the bullet preforms.

That's what I had been told but for some reason 33.5gr loads were decent but as went up they threw a fit. I just got done loading the last 28rds I have. Im going to shoot a couple groups at 100yrds then move to 200yrds and see what happens. If all is good im going to try and find a yote or a coon to shoot.

Back