suppressor question for skinny

Tackdriver

Skinny
In your experience, about how much difference do subsonic rounds make when running a can? I know there are two components to the sound we hear, the supersonic crack and the combustion from the burning powder.

But Im not sure how much percentage wise each component makes up.

Im thinking about getting a suppressor, I would run it on a 300 Mag at the largest and 223 at the smallest. But I have played around with subsonic, and I just dont care for them.
so am I wasting money?

Also school us on suppressing a 12 gauge.

Thanks.

there is a huge advantage when running subs with a can, alot of times this will make your weapon almost hollywood quiet...
example, running a 9mm using 115's going 1200+ fps, has a snap/crack similar to a 22LR... now you introduce a 147 going 800 fps, the round impacting the berm backstop is louder than the initial shot (almost)... IMHO its pointless to try and reload rounds such as the .223 to a subsonic level, I would suggest a blackout or possibly a pistol cal upper that you can get subsonic loads to cycle reliably and do their job in terms of sound reduction.
regarding the shotty suppressor, when they build it, I will come
wink.gif

I know its tuff to tell the sound difference via camera mic, but here is a video my cousin did comparing some handgun cans, if you watch till the end he demonstrates some subs vs. hi vel.

I am new to posting but have been lurking for a long time here. I am a 20 + year stamp collector and have allot of time shooting and playing with NFa items as well as a yote hunter in all my spare time here in Maine.

So first difference between sub and supersonic ammo. The suppressor will take out the majority of the sound form the firing of the weapon. However the sonic crack will not be effected in supersonic rounds. When you use subsonic loads you have no sonic crack thus you eliminate a great portion of the noise produced after the round leaves the suppressor. Either way the sound at the shooters ear is greatly reduced and anybody downrange even when shooting supersonic ammo will not be able to tell where the shot came from.. The 300 Blackout is a great round to use for this subs are Hollywood quiet and the full power loads are great for hunting.

Next suppressors are made to a specific caliber ( as NF law requires ) however depending on the suppressor you can shoot other calibers through them. Keep in mind that the bore of the suppressor is made to suit a specific caliber so using it for smaller rounds will make it less efficient then a suppressor made to that caliber. Meaning a 7.62 suppressor used on a 5.56 will not be as quiet as a 5.56 suppressor will be.

Last shotgun suppressors while they are out there are not big in America. In the Uk they can be had at most shops. The issues are you do not have a single projectile so many suppressor designs wont work. That said They are out there and several companies make them as custom work. However the big reason people nowadays even ask about them is due to well you know the movie but off the many I have seen and shot I have never seen one close to the performance of the one in the movie.

With the 300 mag to 223 range you need a 30 cal suppressor. I have a Yankee Hill Machine Quick Detatch 7.62 can which is rated for guns up to the 300 RUM. Mine is the SS version which is a tad cheaper but renowned to be a heavy beast.

I wanted versatility with mine so I chose the QD. The YMH flash suppressor/QD attachment is a little clunky looking but really effective. I currently have one on my Coyote AR in 223, a 17 HMR because the barrel is threaded, planning a 30-30 or a 308 here shortly, a 300 BLK SBR and thought about threading my 300 mag but decided it is a waste of time. The subsonics are where the fun is at.

I built the 300 BLK because I discovered the 223 is still pretty noisy suppressed, and I wanted it to be quiet. The can suppresses the muzzle crack/flash on a supersonic round but you hear "supersonic crack" of the thing screaming away from you all the way to the target. It is not a one time thing.

If you are looking for shooting supersonic only and a way to protect your hearing, perhaps improve accuracy, help conceal your location when sniping, then a can might be worth the investment. If you want "hollywood quiet" and subsonic rounds, then it is a must. There are a few sites that can cover most of the decision making out there, SilencerTalk is one.

Skinney,

Is there a huge differance in getting a suppressor on a corporation vs individual? I want to get one can that my wife and I can both use, even if one of us is not there.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Skinney,

Is there a huge differance in getting a suppressor on a corporation vs individual? I want to get one can that my wife and I can both use, even if one of us is not there.

If you want more than your self authorized to handle the can when your not there, I would go trust... I did my own, there are many people who say (YOU NEED TO HIRE AN NFA ATTORNEY) if you feel the need to pay 200-500 on top of the can and the Tax, and it makes you sleep better, seriously do it... personally I think its a joke having someone make up your own trust, BUT...
NOW, if your wife is only gonna use it when you are with her, there isn't a need, and you could just form 4 it... basic reason I did my trust was so my kid, my brother, and my dad will all eventually have access.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Skinney,

If you want more than your self authorized to handle the can when your not there, I would go trust... I did my own, there are many people who say (YOU NEED TO HIRE AN NFA ATTORNEY) if you feel the need to pay 200-500 on top of the can and the Tax, and it makes you sleep better, seriously do it... personally I think its a joke having someone make up your own trust, BUT...
NOW, if your wife is only gonna use it when you are with her, there isn't a need, and you could just form 4 it... basic reason I did my trust was so my kid, my brother, and my dad will all eventually have access.

She loves shooting as much as I do. So I figure it best to get the trust done to keep everything on the legal side. I am on the road often enough, it may just make sense.

Did you just build your own trust, or did you use an online resource? Also, I have access on base to (military)lawyers and I think I could have them do a trust with out a fee. Is it the same as a "living trust"?

Last edited:
you got it made if you can get it done on base... yes its a revocable living trust... if your having any issues send me an email and I can fwd you a template.

Last edited:

Skinny...

I just bought my first can and I did not want to take time to get a trust set up. I just went the form 4 route and was wondering if there is a way to transfer it into a trust now ?

Originally Posted By: Gman757
Skinny...

I just bought my first can and I did not want to take time to get a trust set up. I just went the form 4 route and was wondering if there is a way to transfer it into a trust now ?

yep you sure can, although your gonna have to do it via another form 4 so its gonna cost you... I'm in the process of transferring all my personal cans to a trust, so instead of paying 200 per can when I need to transfer 10 cans, I'm gonna just start doing a couple a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Skinney,

She loves shooting as much as I do. So I figure it best to get the trust done to keep everything on the legal side. I am on the road often enough, it may just make sense.

Did you just build your own trust, or did you use an online resource? Also, I have access on base to (military)lawyers and I think I could have them do a trust with out a fee. Is it the same as a "living trust"?

Buy a copy of Quicken Will Maker like 2011 edition for $20, and make a Revocable living trust with it. Thats what I did for my two suppressors and it worked fine. Pretty simple once you figure out what you need to type in it.

What advantages are there to the Trust instead of an LLC?

And do you now have to send in a pic and be fingerprinted with the Trust or LLC? Years back that wasn't required.

The Trust is a perpetual instrument while the LLC is a business entity. If you end business you will have to transfer the items to yourself or your trust.

I set up an LLC just for the Class 3- no need to end the business. You can add several family members to the LLC as well. One downside is having to file a tax return every year if more than a single member.

Not sure what the pros and cons of the trust are still.

Originally Posted By: Howa4AUI set up an LLC just for the Class 3- no need to end the business. You can add several family members to the LLC as well. One downside is having to file a tax return every year if more than a single member.

Not sure what the pros and cons of the trust are still.

I have an LLC and a Corporation for business purposes, either one can purchase NFA weapons, but neither is a perpetual entity. If I decide that I do not want to pursue the paperwork involved in maintaining those businesses (like your LLC) then I have to transfer the NFA weapons to a trust or individual. That is the downside there, not impossible to do but another $200 per transfer. I am not saying you are doing it wrong but the trust solves that problem.

Back