Mossberg 100 ATR-270

pyscodog

A guy at work had this rifle for sale today. He's trying to round up some cash for a new pistol. It has less than a box of ammo shot through it. The rifle is black/black with a scope package and sling. I hate to say it, but paid less than half what it sold for. Is it a keeper or just trading material? I know very little about the Mossy's. Seems to be a decent little rifle. Good trigger, light weight and the scope is actually really clear for a combo type scope. I got it and now I'm not sure what to do with it. I could use a lite weight hunting rifle.
thumbup1.gif
thumbdown.gif

What kind of scope did it come with. Also, since it fit your budget and YOU seem to like it alot for what you want to use it for: KEEP IT-SHOOT IT-HUNT WITH IT

just my thoughts,

Wayne

Actually bought the rifle cause it was CHEAP and thought if I don't keep it, I can make a few bucks off it. Then I thought, I can always use a light weight hunter if accuracy is there. I'm looking for someone that has one to give me an idea of accuracy and reliability. The scope is a Mossberg (?), probably a Tasco. Its not like I really need it, just to good a deal to pass up.

I bought a mossberg 100 ATR in 30-06 back when they first came out and I have never regreted that decision. A few handloads later and it turned into one of my best shooting rifles. with a 150 grain nosler ballistic tip and 52.9 grains of IMR 4064 it will print clover leafs @100 yards all day long. Keep it. you won't be disappointed.

I have a rule for cheap guns. If it shoots well it's a keeper regardless of online reviews. The cheaper the gun, the worse I can shoot and still be a keeper.

$1000 rifle that shoots moa, garbage. $100 rifle that shoots moa, best gun ever.

I wouldn't myself go after an atr unless it was really cheap, but if it's really cheap all I'm after is minute of deer. I ended up with a $200 brand new edge in 25-06, shoots circles around my more expensive 25-06. Actually it shoots 1 hole groups and the other one shoots circles around it, you get the point.

Think I'll buy a box of boolits and give it a try. I got a nice Nikon setting on the shelf. If the rifle shoots, I may use it on the ATR.

Does it have the LBA trigger or the old non adjustable trigger? My future son-in-law has the old trigger on his and it is gritty as all get out. I am going to stone it this summer and see how it turns out.

Here is a link to some of the issues people have had with the Mossberg. The most common one I've heard of thus far is the bolt release assembly not working correctly. I believe this issue has been addressed, but you need to check your rifle and see.

The other problem, the more serious one, is the poor bolt design. Last I checked, there were 3 very real lawsuits filed by users who received serious injuries. It seems that because of the poor bolt design, it is possible to close the bolt without the lugs ever actually engaging. Thus, the bolt flies out at your face upon firing. I have no idea if these issues have ever been addressed or whatever happened with the 3 lawsuits. I also do not know if more injuries have occurred and more suits have been filed. I never really followed up on it. All I can say, is that I read a lot of really disturbing things about it. And from the pics, the bolt design looks to be terribly unsafe at best. If I were you, I would be very careful and do my my homework before I pulled the trigger of that rifle......

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=77c7488f9d9ad230c36003e0fe6eebb4&topic=60268.0

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=203

Well, guys, there was a gunshow in Tulsa today and the Mossberg found a home before I got to shoot it. The best part was I owned the rifle for less than 24 hours and doubled my money!! Guess I have nothing bad to say about the Mossberg rifles.

In the resulting court case it was proven that the guy had taken the gun apart while drunk and had put it back together incorrectly. He was also witnessed tossing the rifle against the wall if I remember correctly.

I would not be afraid of the rifle.

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxIn the resulting court case it was proven that the guy had taken the gun apart while drunk and had put it back together incorrectly. He was also witnessed tossing the rifle against the wall if I remember correctly.

I wonder how they would be able to "prove" someone was intoxicated during an activity that happened a few days before the incident. I thought I read that he was .03 BAC when he fired the gun and the incident happened.

Look up Heath Rider too. I think his happened while hunting and he suffered severe facial injuries.

In one of the other links I posted a guy said he took his gun out of the safe and the bolt assembly just came apart. He did not take the pin out himself.

If you look at the pics of the bolt assy, it would seem the bolt handle could turn without the lugs engaging whether the bolt head was pinned or not, due to the way the bolt handle is "attached" to the bolt body. Either way, it is a piss poor design IMO....

Back