.224 69 grain Barnes Match Burner load data?

the noobie

I bought some .224 69 grain HPBT Barnes Match Burners and I can not find any load data.

I looked through both of my manuals both are about a year-year and a half old with no luck. I looked at the Barnes Manual in Cabelas and to my surprise there was nothing
ohmy.gif

Just wondering if someone could see if they could find the Min/Max load for H335? And the OAL and OACL?

And possibly what manual you found it in so I can find myself one.

Thanks all, oh and if you have a Cabelas near you their entire stock of Barnes Bullets is 20% off. Not much but its a few dollars.

Originally Posted By: the noobieI bought some .224 69 grain HPBT Barnes Match Burners and I can not find any load data.

I looked through both of my manuals both are about a year-year and a half old with no luck. I looked at the Barnes Manual in Cabelas and to my surprise there was nothing
ohmy.gif

Just wondering if someone could see if they could find the Min/Max load for H335? And the OAL and OACL?

And possibly what manual you found it in so I can find myself one.

Thanks all, oh and if you have a Cabelas near you their entire stock of Barnes Bullets is 20% off. Not much but its a few dollars.

69gr Barnes uses the same data as any other 68/69gr bullet.

Go to the Hodgdon website and take your choice.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

So it is safe to do that? I was thinking about just following the Guidelines for the Sierra's but I was curious because reading online there was quite a few people bashing the Barnes because they werent the same as the rest, something about length and Ballistic Coeficient.

1...Find a start load for any 68/69 gr.
2.. Find the OAL for your rifle.
3... Load test batches with increasing charges.
4...Watch for pressure signs.
5. Pick the best load and fine tune it.

Reloading 101

Originally Posted By: the noobieSo it is safe to do that? I was thinking about just following the Guidelines for the Sierra's but I was curious because reading online there was quite a few people bashing the Barnes because they werent the same as the rest, something about length and Ballistic Coeficient.

High BC match bullets are not Barnes best forté - they are noted for hunting bullets, and that's is about all one can say about them.

When you have a bullet of a given weight, you can use ANYONE's loading data - just remember to start at the starting load and work up slowly. - that applies even if you are using the manual of the bullet maker.

Guns and loads are like girls, work them slowly, or they will slap you upside the head.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
Guns and loads are like girls, work them slowly, or they will slap you upside the head.

Isn't that the truth...Jason

Lotsa different loads on these threads:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1602936

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1568680

I snagged a couple 100 of those 69 gr. Barnes Match Burners. Thanks for the heads up on the 20% off.

If nothing of Barnes' flies well, I'll try Nosler's next. They're about the same price, right now/until the end of May.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1758619...point-boat-tail

Start with mag. length OAL (2.250?) and work your powder load up.

-S

Thanks for all of the tips guys, think I may have found the right load. Dad was only able to shoot a 2-3 inch 3 shot group but I was able to put 2 under a dime. Ill load up 5 more and make sure that it wasnt a fluke.

Interested to hear if your second batch is accurate while mine ship or prior to getting mine loaded up...

What powder/bullet/primer combo worked for you?

smile.gif

-S

24 grains of H335
Remington 6 1/2 primers
69 grain hp
COAL set to the gun.

Im shooting cases from cheap Federal ammo (figured they would be good)and they are all slightly different length, didnt think they very slight difference would matter but out of the 5 I had one over pressure enough that smoke was coming out around the bolt and another that just hit 2 inches left. Kept 3 of them inside a yardsale price dot and the other two were 2 inches off.

Before someone gets hurt Im throwing out the federal cases and buying some nice hopefully hornady cases. But accuracy wise Im happy.

The first thing you need to change is your primers. That particular primer is not recommended for .223 although with lighter loads I am sure it would be OK just don't push it or you will get blown primers. I would try Remington 7 1/2's as they are better suited especially if you are shooting these is an AR.

I hate primers either they are constantly changing or Im getting told different info at different dates, one day I read that I want the 6 1/2's for most .223 loads the next Im told that I need the "thicker" 7 1/2's.
blink.gif

Since I still have 700 or so 6 1/2 primers would it be unsafe or bad to use them for plinking ammo? Just minimimal loads pushing 55 grain FMJ for milk jug hunting? None are getting shot in the AR just the bolt gun.

Originally Posted By: the noobieI hate primers either they are constantly changing or Im getting told different info at different dates, one day I read that I want the 6 1/2's for most .223 loads the next Im told that I need the "thicker" 7 1/2's.
blink.gif

Since I still have 700 or so 6 1/2 primers would it be unsafe or bad to use them for plinking ammo? Just minimimal loads pushing 55 grain FMJ for milk jug hunting? None are getting shot in the AR just the bolt gun.

Here is where the info/warning about the 6 1/2 primers can be read.

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167

I think you will be just fine shooting them as long as you keep your loads away from maximum charges. They will be safe and should shoot just fine.

I got a chance to load and shoot some 69 gr. Barnes Match Burners through my 16" AR Performance 1:8 barrel, Wylde chamber. Using 23.5-25.0 gr. of Varget powder. LC brass, CCI 400 primers, 2.250" (mag. length).

Got about an inch for the one group, not much bigger for the previous group, and similar for the upper right group minus the flier. There's one "called" flier under the micrometer. I'm assuming these bullets are better than an AR and my setup are capable of, since I was just using a front sandbag for a rest, again.

Now I might try some Rem. 7 1/2 primers. I haven't had a chance to see if I used those with Varget powder, with success, in my .204 or not. ETA: I have had good luck.

DSC_1634.JPG

My groups weren't very good through the AR.

Other 50 gr. V-Max loads, but with TAC and Benchmark powders. One 1" group, but, mostly 2" or more, working up loads:

DSC_1635.JPG

This is the first time I've shot this gun, after running 20 factory 55 gr. FMJ for function check. 55 gr. FMJ factory was awful, but that's what I expected.

The Fed. American Eagle V-Max's weren't that spectacular, either, for group size.

I was using a 10x Bushnell Elite 3200 scope.

Steady as she goes... I'll keep playin' with some other combo's.

-S

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to shoot a few more groups based off of the power charge I had the best luck with before (around 24.0 and 25.0 gr. Varget).

This time I switched primers to Rem 7 1/2's.

DSC_1641.JPG

I know I was shooting better this time vs. last time; all my groups shrank. Even some of the same previous recipe which aren't pictured.

So, looks like 24.5 grains of Varget is the ticket for this gun. Under a 1" group if you count the flier. Under 1/2" if you don't. LC brass, 2.250" OAL, 69 gr. Barnes Match Burners.

THEN, I shot some other groups and really baked my brain. 55 grains V-max's. Some of those didn't even make it to the paper. All 5 shot groups, but only 4 holes punched. Benchmark powder. Ahh... back to the head scratching. Wish I had a chrono.

DSC_1642.JPG

-S

Back