What brand of powder measure

Jerry Tracy

Just curious if anyone here uses one of the culver style of powder measures like the Harrel? I've always scaled each of my loads but that seems to take a lot of time and was wanting a way to speed up the process without sacraficing accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Jerry TracyJust curious if anyone here uses one of the Culver style of powder measures like the Harrel? I've always scaled each of my loads but that seems to take a lot of time and was wanting a way to speed up the process without sacrificing accuracy.

The Harrell is no more accurate than a Redding BR-30, or a Lyman #55.

It's only advantage comes into play if you load at the range without a scale - otherwise, you get nothing, and maybe a little less.

I owned a Harrell for while, and found unacceptable play in the drum due to Harrell not using preloaded bearings. It was pretty, but it costs a lot for pretty. A guy at the club "had to have it", so it is gone, with no remorse. I replaced with a BR-30, which is more accurate with fine grain and ball powders - and no measure is accurate with large stick.

Don't get hooked on the "expensive toy syndrome". And don't believe that because benchrest people use it, that it must be better. It may serve a need that their sport has, that has nothing to do with accuracy.

The Harrell will not give you more accuracy or repeatability. The Redding BR-30 will beat it in those areas.

If you're looking for a way to speed up the proccess without sacrificing accuracy, then look at the RCBS Chargemaster combo. I just got one and I love it. It easily doubled my output in said amount of time while still being accurate. You just have to swallow the $300.00 price tag though.

I went with a chargemaster combo. And after checking and rechecking on a tip scale. I finally settled in on the chargemaster...Jason

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Jerry TracyJust curious if anyone here uses one of the Culver style of powder measures like the Harrel? I've always scaled each of my loads but that seems to take a lot of time and was wanting a way to speed up the process without sacrificing accuracy.

It's only advantage comes into play if you load at the range without a scale - otherwise, you get nothing, and maybe a little less.

I owned a Harrell for while, and found unacceptable play in the drum due to Harrell not using preloaded bearings. It was pretty, but it costs a lot for pretty. A guy at the club "had to have it", so it is gone, with no remorse. I replaced with a BR-30, which is more accurate with fine grain and ball powders - and no measure is accurate with large stick.

Don't get hooked on the "expensive toy syndrome". And don't believe that because benchrest people use it, that it must be better. It may serve a need that their sport has, that has nothing to do with accuracy.

The Harrell will not give you more accuracy or repeatability. The Redding BR-30 will beat it in those areas.

I guess most of the benchrest shooters are using equipment that has unacceptable play. I am sure they are not going to use sub-standard equiptment. If the BR-30 was as good or would do what a Harrel will, don't you think ALL the benchrest shooters would flock to them?

Benchrest shooters use the best available period. Money is not an option for them, they buy the best there is and the most consistant with the greatest accuracy. I could just here what Tony Boyer would say if he heard his equiptment was sub-standard. LOL

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Jerry TracyJust curious if anyone here uses one of the Culver style of powder measures like the Harrel? I've always scaled each of my loads but that seems to take a lot of time and was wanting a way to speed up the process without sacrificing accuracy.

I guess most of the benchrest shooters are using equipment that has unacceptable play. I am sure they are not going to use sub-standard equiptment. If the BR-30 was as good or would do what a Harrel will, don't you think ALL the benchrest shooters would flock to them?

Benchrest shooters use the best available period. Money is not an option for them, they buy the best there is and the most consistant with the greatest accuracy. I could just here what Tony Boyer would say if he heard his equiptment was sub-standard. LOL

You did not understand the meaning of what I said. Maybe you might read it again (about 20 times).

I did not mean that the play was unacceptable (in a technical sense), I meant that for the kind of money they cost, and if you are going to put ball (or roller) bearings in a measure, it is unacceptable to have that kind of play - I did not say that the bearings caused any problems. My Redding BR-30 has no slop or play, and it is less than half of the price. That should have been obvious if you read it with neutral eyes, instead of those of a sycophant, worshiping at the feet of a myth.

I would suggest that you get a Redding BR-30 and a Harrell's side by sideand try them (I have).

The advantage of the Harrell's is the "Click" adjustments, and the ability to click a load without weighing it - benchrest folks keep track of their loads by the number of clicks it is, not by the weight in grains that it is... so a benchrester's notes will have, "52gr Burger, 50 clicks H-322... and not 52gr Berger and 28gr of H-322.

THAT, my ignorant friend, it the advantage of the Harrell measure - not the accuracy or repeatability. They are no more accurate than any other good measure.

It is obvious that you have never shot formal benchrest, cuz you don't know doodely squat about it, even though you like to "name drop", and try to sound like an expert.

So, my smart assed friend, if you call Harrell's (1-540-380-2683) and ask them, you will get EXACTLY the same answer I have given you here (if you can stumble through an accent that is as thick as cold Honey
wink.gif
) - and if you actually ever used a Harrell's measure you would know this, and not make a stupid asswipe out of yourself, buy trying to sound like you know something that you obviously don't.

Why don'cha call your good buddy, Tony Boyer and ask him, Huh???

You need to stop misreading websites and think you know something (that you don't).

LOL in spades -
lol.gif

I use Harrells Measures and it works well for me. If you use a scale on every charge and trickle in to the correct weight it's not going to benefit you. The harrels works best for the load at the range crowd where scales aren't usually present or the wind and elements cause problems. I feel that for the money it's an investment not a purchase, but again I don't use a scale unless I am weighing a new powder to get the correct weight per click value, which I log into a book and don't think about the scale again. Again I feel it's the best meausre out there for the price when you don't use a scale to load with. Adam

I am perfectly satisfied with the Lyman 55 that I have had for over 35 years. If I considered another I would choose the Redding. Heck I even have a Lee Perfect that works great with stick powder. I don't like it for ball powder though- too much binding of kernels.

I've been using the culver type measure over 25yrs now and Harrell made copies from others instead of there own design.

Most BR shooter know what each clicks weights in the powdwer they use and they may adjust with new lots of powder. We weight clicks to find out the weight of the powder and most have pretty good records. I know 50 clicks will weight 27.2gr/H-322,27gr/N-133,27.5gr/Surplus IMR-8208 and 27.1gr/Scot322. I also know that 111.3 clicks will throw 65.5gr/H-4831sc and 124 clicks will throw 73gr/H-4831sc.

We all have different ways to do things.

Back