Guess the brand/scope box test

venatic

I bought a scope a while back and while tinkering with some loads over the week-end I decided to try a box test with this scope since it had nice well marked resettable tactical style knobs.
Before I reveal what brand and model I thought I would get some feedback on what folks thought about how well it tracked and performed after looking at the targets. I did two targets mainly because it was a spur of the moment deal and on the first smaller target I only moved the scope in a 3 inch square. The scope clicks are 1/4 inch MOA so on the first target I fired one shot and then I dialed up 3MOA from 0 then 3MOA to the right and then back to 0 on elevation and then returned my windage to 0 and fired a 5th shot back in the original bullseye.
Here is the target. The clusters of 3 shot groups were from some test loads and another scope but the same DTech 20 tac. As you can see only shot number 3 seemed off a little too far right and I am not sure if it was scope or wind or.....
blush.gif

IMG_1414.jpg

Someone left a perfectly good target with no bullet holes so I took a tape measure and measured between the 5 bulls-eyes and it was exactly 4 inches elevation and I thought 4 inches right and left of the center bull but once I got home they are actually 3 3/4 inches right and left of the dead center bull.
Anyhow I went back after measuring and sat down at the bench and again fired once in the center bull then dialed up to 4MOA and then right 4MOA fired no.2 went left 8MOA fired no.3 back right to 0 and down to 0 shot at the original bull and then did the same on the bottom two bulls.
So what do you think? It's not perfect but is it good enough to trust for dialing to take a long range shot and return to zero.
Here is the second target.
IMG_1413.jpg

Oh and you are welcome to guess what brand scope it was if you like.

No not Vortex.

There were two guys there shooting new to them Vortex Vipers and I looked thru them and the glass looked pretty nice.
While I did not do a side by side comparison with the Vortex I would say the glass in this scope is as good or maybe better. I have 5 other brands on hand in the same power range so when I get someone else with me to help evaluate I will do an overall comparison.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesIf not a Center Point then it must be a Barska.

What did I win?

smile.gif

No it's neither of those BUT if you guess correctly I will offer up (1) free sight-in of the rifle of your choice..... sighted in of course at exactly 37 yards.
wink.gif

Just ship me your gun and I will take care of the rest.

Last edited:
Dave, that ain't enough info to judge whether that scope tracks, or is repeatable.

Run those turrets at least 10MOA from zero, & see what ya got for center to center groups & if the adjustments jive with what you dialed.

Also, run the ele. turret all the way UP to max, then back to zero and shoot. Then, DOWN to min. and back, to see how if it holds zero. Heck, you could even just shoot the bull, run the turret end to end & back, between shots at the bull See if your POI will hold tight on the zero...

Some lesser scopes will track if ya molly coddle 'em & don't use much turret adjustment, but a proven scope will track no matter what...

Originally Posted By: knockemdownDave, that ain't enough info to judge whether that scope tracks, or is repeatable.

Run those turrets at least 10MOA from zero, & see what ya got for center to center groups & if the adjustments jive with what you dialed.

Also, run the ele. turret all the way UP to max, then back to zero and shoot. Then, DOWN to min. and back, to see how if it holds zero. Heck, you could even just shoot the bull, run the turret end to end & back, between shots at the bull See if your POI will hold tight on the zero...

Some lesser scopes will track if ya molly coddle 'em & don't use much turret adjustment, but a proven scope will track no matter what...

Next trip I will try another going 10 MOA and I want to check the glass against my KAhles,Zeiss,Sightron,Trijicon and Elite just for grins. This was not something I planned I was just sitting at the bench and it popped into my head I had never done a box test on any scope.
I may take a yardstick next trip and try my Weaver tactical mil/mil FFP as well and just dial up and down to see if both are accurate.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Weaver Tac?

No I do have two Weaver Tactical mil/mil FFP and I really like them although I have only got to play with them a few times.

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesIf not a Center Point then it must be a Barska.

What did I win?

smile.gif

No it's neither of those BUT if you guess correctly I will offer up (1) free sight-in of the rifle of your choice..... sighted in of course at exactly 37 yards.
wink.gif

I'm not guessing any more! I'm afraid I might just win. I don't wanna win now.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesIf not a Center Point then it must be a Barska.

What did I win?

smile.gif

wink.gif

thumbdown.gif

BSA

Back