Get your profile low for coyotes in open country, PICS.

derbyacresbob

When we started calling coyotes with cassette callers in open country in the early 1980s we used bi-pods on our rifles and layed prone. This worked pretty good but we had quite a few hard charging coyotes get away from us after running right up to our cassette caller.

So we decided to have a shotgun shooter lay down 15 to 20 yards from the cassette caller. It did not take very long for me to figure out that my head even with a little brain in it got pretty heavy after just a few minutes of holding my head up so I could see.

So I made a camo pillow out of some firm packing foam to hold my head up so I could see better, be more comfortable and I could hold still for longer periods of time.

The pillow is not needed in areas that have some cover to help you hide but it will make it more comfortable to prop the pillow up against rocks or brush so you can lean in against the pillow. If you can get your profile lower by reclining against the pillow coyotes can't spot you as easy.

IMG_0261.jpg

In the above picture you can see the shotgun shooters head sticking out above the grass on the left side of the picture. My Foxpro caller is in the middle and the coyote is on the right side of the picture.

IMG_0262.jpg

In this picture you can see that the shotgun shooter has sat up and he is about to shoot the coyote at less than 30 yards away in wide open country. I was laying prone about 60 yards away with my camera and my 243 Win.

In wide open cattle country with no cover coyotes are not that concerned with objects that are less than 2 feet tall.

While laying down with a pillow under your head sometimes you can't see that far, or to your left or right real good. With a shotgun you don't need to see very far. Quite often while laying down 15 yards from my Foxpro I hear the coyotes feet hitting the ground before I see them. Also while laying down a 25 pound coyote looks much bigger at 15 yards away than they really are.

IMG_2400-Copy.jpg

In this picture my son Wes has just sat up from laying down with his head on the pillow.
IMG_2408-Copy.jpg

In this picture the shotgun pellets just reached the coyote.

IMG_7315-1.jpg

In this picture I propped the pillow up against a rock and layed down with my Foxpro about 15 yards in front of me. I got to see this coyote run right up to me from about 400 yards away. I shot the coyote about 10 yards to the right of the caller and then set the coyote by the caller to take this picture. My friend jp7mag was laying prone on a little higher ground about 50 yards behind me with a bi-pod on his 243 Win.

IMG_7351.jpg

This is a picture of jp7mag with 3 coyotes that we got on one stand. jp7mag killed 2 coyotes laying prone with his 243 Win. I killed the other one with my shotgun laying down with a pillow about 15 yards from my Foxpro. I am pretty sure that if we had both used rifles on this stand we would of only got 2 coyotes not 3 coyotes.

IMG_6313-Copy-1.jpg

In this picture the shotgun shooter is leaning against the pillow that is propped up against a bush. You can see the green Remington 12 ga hull in the air about 2 feet to the right of the shotgun shooter.
IMG_6314.jpg

The shot finally got there.

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Here are two pictures of a shotgun shooter using a pillow in open country. I like using shotguns with 26" barrels or longer. It is much easier to keep the end of longer shotgun barrels pointed out past my foot.

Now even when we are calling coyotes in open country we have a shotgun shooter on at least 90% of the stands we make when we have two shooters or more.

If you can get your profile down lower in open country you should have coyotes come in closer.

Great pics Bob. I've always admired yall's style of laying down on stand, just never tried it, except prone with a rifle. Will have to manufacture something and give it a try this week. We've got an issue with alot of mesquite and cactus thorns, so I'll have to get creative on it.
smile.gif

Thanks...Tony

awesome pics!!! A lot of people think the area out here would be fun to hunt, being in the wide open and all, but its a different game, especially when you introduce the camera, we go prone 90% of the time!!!
its always a pre gamer with a fist bump... how low, can you go.

sneakersniper.jpg

sidesniper.jpg

2snipers2.jpg

I have only hunted prone a few times because of the circumstances and never thought about it for predator hunting. Thanks for the pics!

I remember a lot of those photos Bob from your posts in the past. Some of my very favorites on here! Thanks for the sneak peak into how you get it done. Interesting stuff. Here in Iowa, there's a lot of cover around so sitting up works great, but I may have to look at some cattle pastures that I've always wanted to give a try with this style of ambush! Thanks Bob!

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357This should be in Predator extreme, or some other venue so more people see it. Great pics!

I agree. You have awesome photos and a great how to article there. If you do write one for PX or something similar, I'd like to see some close ups of the pillow. How is it constructed? What shape works best? What materials work well and hold up?

Sendit

Isn't this laying down low as possible the same idea that Les Johnson does with his floppy padded seat...?

I too love those pics... and wish I was there right now... just gotta get some gas money.... Hummmm... anyone got any extra...LOL

Derbyacresbob

As always, I love viewing your post! Your style of hunting is friggin awesome. In your face, right in my lap, lead shot slingin, bustin coyotes kinda huntin!!! I bet your stands can really get a persons heart rate up.

You're doing what everybody else WANTS to be doing! Keep on Keepin on.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: dan brothersIsn't this laying down low as possible the same idea that Les Johnson does with his floppy padded seat...?

Yes it is basically the same idea. We use the pillow on flat ground with no cover at all when we have to. Most of the time it looks like Les sits in or against a bush, brush or rocks. Les does do a good job of keeping a low profile when he is calling in open country.

Back