RCBS vs Redding Shell Holders

tt35

Are RCBS and Redding shell holders interchangable? My brother bought a Redding Boss press and I'm wondering if my RCBS shell holder will work.

Originally Posted By: tt35Are RCBS and Redding shell holders interchangable? My brother bought a Redding Boss press and I'm wondering if my RCBS shell holder will work.

That is a trick question. If you mean can they be both be used in a Redding Big Boss, then yes. But the numbers on the RCBS are not always the same number as is on the Redding...i.e: A Redding #1 is the same as the RCBS 3 & 11. A Redding 2 is the same as an RCBS 2. A Redding 3 is the same as an RCBS 1. Redding (and possibly RCBS) provide an Interchange Chart with any Shellholder you buy that has most of the shellholders comparisons/cross references for Redding, Hornady, RCBS & Lyman.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, Shynloco, I understand that the number designations are different but I appreciate the heads up.

tt

Here is my two cents, it comes from measuring different shell holders for the same cartridge. and I can tell you. They don't all measure the same even where it counts the most.

DAB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DABHere is my two cents, it comes from measuring different shell holders for the same cartridge. and I can tell you they don't all measure the same even where it counts the most.
DAB

There are industry standards to the depth measurements of interchangeable shell holders - they cannot be less than 0.125" from the floor (the surface that the case head sits on) to the top of the shell holder.

In half a century, I have NEVER run into an interchangeable shell holder that was other than 0.125"

... There is one exception, and that is the Redding "Competition Shell Holders", which come in a set of five that are 0.002", 0.004", 0.006", 0.008", and 0.010" deeper (makes the case headspace longer). This allows the cases to be precisely fit to the chamber for a tight, or "crush" fit.

Last edited:
Sorry Mr. Cat shooter didn't mean to hurt your ears by yelling so loud.
lol.gif
I corrected the size of type so as not to hurt anyone Else's ears.
blushing.gif

I have no idea what Industry standards are but the ones I have and measured are not all the same dimension very close but no cigar. Maybe my measuring equipment and my ability to use them accurately has gone south on me
cursing.gif
. No doubt they are within spec's. what ever the + and - tolerances are.
thumbup.gif

I have several doubles, Just got the extras put away.

DAB

Last edited:
Back