204 Ruger Ai ( Updated with new pics)

r15 reeper

I ran in to an old timer at the range that said he would be more than happy to teach me how to chamber a barrel. So after finding a smoking deal on a 204 Ruger Ai reamer and go and no go gauges I decide that was what I was going to build. I read on some forums that Ai the 204 Ruger was a waste of time with such little gains. For me I have been more than Happy with the 204 Ai. I need to do more load testing but so far I have been able to push a 40 Gr. berger at 4197 fps. That was a huge gain for me over the normal 204 with a 40 Berger. I need to try a few more powders and do some more load ladder testing. Here are some pics of the gun and a couple groups. Gun is crecokte in coyote brown and desert sand with matte clear. Built on a savage short action with 1&12 twist savage barrel sitting in a Manners MCS T 4 stock. Both groups are 5 shots at 100 yards.
204AiRifle.jpg

204Aigroup.jpg

204Ai1.jpg

So I was able to get my 1&9 twist Kreiger barrel ready to go. So far it has been great. I need to do a little more load development to find max. But so far I am shooting the 55 Berger at 3500 fps with 27 gr of XBR 8208. I am pretty sure I should be able to get to 3600 Fps with no problem. Here are some pics of new barrel and a few groups.
19.jpg

191.jpg

photo55.jpg

204Ai552.jpg

204Ai551.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet setup, I think you may start getting a bunch of load questions from future 204 AI shooters.

That must be around 20BR speed and pushing .20-250 speeds with less powder than both. Tell us more
drool.gif

Holy cow what a screamer!! I have wondered for a while if there were such reamers around very cool.Pm sent.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the complements. I still need to do more load testing. So far I have tried three different powders BLC-2, 8208 XBR and IMR 4895. I only chrono the BLC-2 in a ladder test and these were my results -30 gr- 3984, 30.5- 4038, 31- 4137, 31.5- 4141, 32- 4197.So far I am liking what I am seeing velocity wise. Here are some pics of formed cases.
Ai.jpg

Ai1.jpg

I shoot BL-C(2) in my .204 also and have had some great results with it.

As I posted on Saubier, that is really a sweet looking gun.

what is OAL ???? did you shoot it much before AI??? I have 204 AR and BLC2 is like dynamite in it--also using 8208 and CFE 223---did you get about 2 extra gr powder????i have fresh 204 rem barrel wondering what to do with it---HMMMM--thanks

Originally Posted By: JOKERwhat is OAL ???? did you shoot it much before AI??? I have 204 AR and BLC2 is like dynamite in it--also using 8208 and CFE 223---did you get about 2 extra gr powder????i have fresh 204 rem barrel wondering what to do with it---HMMMM--thanks
Joker, My OAL is 2.32 with the 40 Berger. I didnt shoot this barrel at all before the Ai but was told it shot .75-.50 groups. I still need to do some more load testing but so far I have been able to run 32 gr of BLC-2 with no pressure signs. Bolt handle lift was good and and primes look good. so there could be more velocity there.

thanks --i will keep watching for this one for sure---40 bergers at that speed is fantastic---too long for AR--but might still be OK--KEEP POSTING please----thanks--what dies??

Back