Installing a free float tube

blackswamp

I know I have to get a barrel wrench. Do I need to get some kind of upper receiver action block to hold the upper in a vise. Would it be ok to clamp the upper in a vise with a couple pieces of blocks on each side. I hate to spend forty to fifty bucks for a receiver block to be used one time.

How much do you have to torque a barrel nut down to?

i have built upper blocks out of a chunk of 4x4 wood, dilled holes and clamped in vice...but what worked best for me tearin down ar's and assembly, is a cheap set of scope ring risers, bolt em to your flat top, flip it over and clamp them in vise, if they get mared up oh well...this will work on flat top and detach carry handle style uppers...good luck!

i believe torque specs are 30 min and 70 max but thats milspec barrel nut if not mistakin, do a search and you'll get 100 responces on that one....

I just posted a question about the same thing. Waiting on an answer. Mine was so tight, I had to get a friend to help and almost got a hernia.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just posted a question about the same thing. Waiting on an answer. Mine was so tight, I had to get a friend to help and almost got a hernia.

if your talking about getting the original/existing barrel nut off, i've had to use a good amount of heat from a mapp gas torch,maybe a minute of circling w/ the torch and then give it heck...should break fairly eaisly.....

barrel nut is 30-80. What you need is to get an upper receiver block to put in a vice. It come with a piece to act as a BCG and if not then put a Charging handle and BCG into the receiver so you can tighten it ion the vice and not bent the receiver. THen put moly grease on the barrel, tighten to torqe once then loosen, repeat. the third time tighten until the gas tube is aligned. If you think the barrel nut needs to go a little tighter to line up and you can not get it, then always back off. 30 ft/lbs is all it needs

Back