.223 effective range?

coleridge,
Good points. This stuff comes around all the time ,just like the Ford /Chevy/Dodge piss'n matches .

A guys just gotta....
stirthepot.jpg

once in awhile ....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: coleridgeA typical 223Rem load with a tipped 55gr bullet is about 8 inches low (sighted in a 200 yards), and about 6" off in wind (@ 5mph full value). That's missing or getting on the edge of missing coyotes (or whatever) for average "point & shoot" hunter. So for the majority; yeah 223 is good for 300 yards.

However, if a man has the equipment, knowledge & most important experience (nothing beats practice), he can streatch a 223Rem way out with little problem & be deadly.

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKERI would pass on a 350 yard shot with a .223, but wouldn't think twice about taking the shot with my .243, 6MM Remington, or .22-250

I would MUCH rather have a 223 with 75gr Amax (or the like) past 300 yards than a 22-250 with typical lightweight varmint bullets.

I would MUCH rather have a 22-250 with 75gr Amax (or the like) past 300 yards than any .223 with ANY bullet.

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzkecoleridge,
Good points. This stuff comes around all the time ,just like the Ford /Chevy/Dodge piss'n matches .

A guys just gotta....
stirthepot.jpg

once in awhile ....
lol.gif

LOL just don't forget to flush when done. LOL

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER
I would MUCH rather have a 22-250 with 75gr Amax (or the like) past 300 yards than any .223 with ANY bullet.

If whe can have our druthers... I'd rather have my 6BRX with a 105gr Amax (or the like & a decent range finder ) than ANY .224 chambering with ANY .224 bullet ever made. And it runs less powder than the 22-250
scared.gif
. It's like a 223 on steroids! A better mousetrap if you would.

Guys, the original question was "What's the effective range of the .223"....So far a lot of different calibers have been brought up...I realize it's the "slow season", but if we can't stay on topic for three pages, it needs to be locked...

Your choice...
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleGuys, the original question was "What's the effective range of the .223"....So far a lot of different calibers have been brought up...I realize it's the "slow season", but if we can't stay on topic for three pages, it needs to be locked...

Your choice...
rolleyes.gif

OK.... 200 Meters.... Where is the fun site now?
smile.gif

To answer the original question/s, I feel confident in being able to put a lethal shot on "static" coyote size critters at about 300yds, much closer on runners/movers. I limit that only because of my personal skills, not because of any caliber restrictions.

Chupa

Did I mention that I think most people should not be shooting at coyotes over 300 yards with a .223?

I guess I did, and all of this great shooting, great stories, and great pictures have done nothing to change my mind.

I do think that comparing a heavy weight .223 bullet to a lightweight .22-250 bullet is not apples to apples...but hey, what ever floats your boat.

In summary, for the vast majority of shooters, 300 yards is the effective range of the .223

I have been shooting an AR10T in .243 with the 87 VMAX for coyotes for years. I just got my 26" WOA 8 twist .223 upper that I will use this year. I'm still working up loads for it. I will say that for the .243 and the 87 VMAX, 800 yards is about the limit. This is based on my longest shot at a coyote of 785 yards. The VMAX passed thru the heart and lungs and the coyote expired after a spin or two. More often at around 600 yards the 87 will not even exit. Never had one blow up at close range either.

For the .223 in the configuration that I will shoot, I'm going to have to say about 600 yards. I say this based solely on the impact velocity. Most bullet manufacturers have a "window" if you will on reliable expansion. I don't have many doubts on whether or not I can hit them, it is a matter of whether or not the selected bullet will expand at the selected range. I'm working up loads for the 60 VAMX and the 75 BTHP. I will also try the 75 Scirocco on the 60 NBT.

Originally Posted By: esorensenI have been shooting an AR10T in .243 with the 87 VMAX for coyotes for years. I just got my 26" WOA 8 twist .223 upper that I will use this year. I'm still working up loads for it. I will say that for the .243 and the 87 VMAX, 800 yards is about the limit. This is based on my longest shot at a coyote of 785 yards. The VMAX passed thru the heart and lungs and the coyote expired after a spin or two. More often at around 600 yards the 87 will not even exit. Never had one blow up at close range either.

For the .223 in the configuration that I will shoot, I'm going to have to say about 600 yards. I say this based solely on the impact velocity. Most bullet manufacturers have a "window" if you will on reliable expansion. I don't have many doubts on whether or not I can hit them, it is a matter of whether or not the selected bullet will expand at the selected range. I'm working up loads for the 60 VAMX and the 75 BTHP. I will also try the 75 Scirocco on the 60 NBT.

Ever tried Barnes TSX in 62 or 70 gr HPBT. They seem very consistent out my 18" one in eight (ATH). Of coarse that's based solely on two range trips, but I like what I've seen so far.

Originally Posted By: esorensenI have been shooting an AR10T in .243 with the 87 VMAX for coyotes for years. I just got my 26" WOA 8 twist .223 upper that I will use this year. I'm still working up loads for it. I will say that for the .243 and the 87 VMAX, 800 yards is about the limit. This is based on my longest shot at a coyote of 785 yards. The VMAX passed thru the heart and lungs and the coyote expired after a spin or two. More often at around 600 yards the 87 will not even exit. Never had one blow up at close range either.

When you spot a coyote at 600 yds...just get a bit closer because the 60 vmax and 60 Nosler. Where are you guys finding yotes at 600 yds? It is very hard to see a coyote at 300 yds when they are standing still.

esorenson is my hunting partner and there are a lot of 600-yd. coyotes running around here... I lasered and spotted 2 of his 1st-shot kills right at 600.

I believe one of the best combinations could be the 75 A-Max out of the 223 AI. Unfortunatley my rig only has a 9-twist barrel which wouldn't shoot the A-Max...but it can be loaded to good magazine length out of the old DPMS VLD magazine here--
DPMSVLDmagazine.jpg

But my longest calcd. 1st-shot was 557 with the 65 SGK using the std. magazine OAL, in absolutely perfect conditions--

IMG_0825.jpg

Back