New to Hunting - Southern Nevada - Starting with Coyotes

ak1lz

Also new to these forums!

About a few weeks ago and actually since I was little I have been wanting to go out on hunts but never had anyone to take me. Now that I can provide my own equipment and take my truck out I really want to get out there. I live in Las Vegas, I grew up in California and moved out here 4 years ago.

Figured I would start off with something that wouldn't require a licensee & tag, but at the same time exciting. I narrowed it down to Coyote's and after I hunt them a few times I plan on getting my licensees & tags for big game species. I have been doing some research and reading forums and looked into my local laws and I may give a go at spotlight hunting. I plan on going out on the weekends Friday night through Sunday morning.

Anyways..

I still need equipment! Rifle, Clothing, Calls, Lights ect.. ect..

For my rifle I was thinking about a .243 - .300 or maybe even a 30-06. Since I will be moving up to bigger game later on, I would like to hear suggestions on what I should get. I have about $400-$500 to spend right now and a bit more early on in June. I was thinking of heading out to the Bass Pro shop today if they are open to start the background check process.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of some good spots to hunt/scout for Coyote maybe near Mt. Charleston?

After looking around on google maps I was planning on going out to scout these areas;
95 & Lee Canyon Rd(156) - about halfway from the 95 and the Mountain.
Lee Canyon Rd before the national forest area @ Macks Canyon Rd.
Was thinking right before Pahrump the 160 and Old Spanish Trail or even more north on Trout Canyon Rd.

Any and all help appreciated! Maybe I can find a buddy to go out hunting with on here!

I would also be interested in forming a small group of hunters that could collaborate hunting spots on Google maps using their system with markers and such.

-Chris

if you havn't shot much I would start with a 243, put the best scope you can aford on it figure you'll spend as much on the scope as you will in the rifel. then practice practice practice

Welcome to the board and to the area!

"After looking around on google maps I was planning on going out to scout these areas;
95 & Lee Canyon Rd(156) - about halfway from the 95 and the Mountain. PM me for a good spot
Was thinking right before Pahrump the 160 and Old Spanish Trail or even more north on Trout Canyon Rd."

The problem with these areas is there are coyotes, but they are pretty smart. You wouldn't be the first person to try these areas. I haven't been able to get out a lot in the last year but if you PM I'll give you the areas I've hunted that have produced.

As for a rifle, the areas you mention won't require you to reach out to 500+ yds so a .223 would be a good choice. However, if you're planning on big game later, Deer or Antelope, then go with the .243. When we chat I'll give you a few places (if you don't have any yet) where you can stretch the rifle to 300yds + to site in.

There are a few other guys out here that are very helpful and know where the coyotes are. I will tell you, however, that if you don't want to get frustrated, go farther north. Check Coyote Summit, Hancock Summit, Kawich range and the area between Rte 318 and 93, north of 375 just past Alamo. Pioche is a hard area to hunt because there are some incredibly cynical and educated coyotes - they've heard it all. At least that's my experience.

As for night hunting, Clark, Lincoln and Nye counties permit it. Lincoln, however, you have to be a few miles from the main populated areas.

Good luck and looking forward to helping out.

Last edited:
welcome to predator hunting pm me I will send you a free close reed call and some m2d camo no charge just to help get you started

Awesome guys! thank you for for the help, I wasn't able to pick up a rifle today from Bass Pro shop because my current address is not on my I.D. so ill have to wait until I get my new one in the mail. This is what I was told. Oh well, it can wait.

I was going to buy a Remington .243 770 just because my budget at the moment but since I have to wait I am going to pick something else up and get a nice scope with it! Planning to hit the shooting range for a few weeks until I actually go out. Will take my hunter's education classes as well.

@ Heretic - I am going to send you a PM here soon! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me about those spots I was thinking about and the gun!

@ prkrgrp - Thank you man! that is very nice of you to help me get going here, I appreciate that. I'll send you a PM here soon as well.

Originally Posted By: ak1lzAlso new to these forums!

About a few weeks ago and actually since I was little I have been wanting to go out on hunts but never had anyone to take me. Now that I can provide my own equipment and take my truck out I really want to get out there. I live in Las Vegas, I grew up in California and moved out here 4 years ago.

Figured I would start off with something that wouldn't require a licensee & tag, but at the same time exciting. I narrowed it down to Coyote's and after I hunt them a few times I plan on getting my licensees & tags for big game species. I have been doing some research and reading forums and looked into my local laws and I may give a go at spotlight hunting. I plan on going out on the weekends Friday night through Sunday morning.

Anyways..

I still need equipment! Rifle, Clothing, Calls, Lights ect.. ect..

For my rifle I was thinking about a .243 - .300 or maybe even a 30-06. Since I will be moving up to bigger game later on, I would like to hear suggestions on what I should get. I have about $400-$500 to spend right now and a bit more early on in June. I was thinking of heading out to the Bass Pro shop today if they are open to start the background check process.

I was also wondering if anyone knew of some good spots to hunt/scout for Coyote maybe near Mt. Charleston?

After looking around on google maps I was planning on going out to scout these areas;
95 & Lee Canyon Rd(156) - about halfway from the 95 and the Mountain.
Was thinking right before Pahrump the 160 and Old Spanish Trail or even more north on Trout Canyon Rd.

Any and all help appreciated! Maybe I can find a buddy to go out hunting with on here!

I would also be interested in forming a small group of hunters that could collaborate hunting spots on Google maps using their system with markers and such.

-Chris

Did a lot of Coyote Hunting around there back in the late 60s. Kane Springs Wash was my favorite place. It's up 93 about 40 miles from 15. The canyon is about 35 miles long and the old guy who ran cattle in there welcomed us with open arms. The turn off is marked Coyote Springs on Google Earth but if you put Kane springs in the search it will take you right to it. The other area we found a lot of coyotes was around Pahrump. They were growing Alfalfa and the Jackrabbits were thick as fleas so the coyotes were too

The .243 would be a good choice,go with a lighter grain bullet say 55,60-75 at most for less pelt damage.The Savage Axis would be another good starter Rifle that is priced reasonably and if You get one with the scope package Your ready to go and hit the Rifle Range.

Good Luck and be careful out there Predator Hunting!

Originally Posted By: ak1lzAwesome guys! thank you for for the help, I wasn't able to pick up a rifle today from Bass Pro shop because my current address is not on my I.D. so ill have to wait until I get my new one in the mail. This is what I was told. Oh well, it can wait.

I was going to buy a Remington .243 770 just because my budget at the moment but since I have to wait I am going to pick something else up and get a nice scope with it! Planning to hit the shooting range for a few weeks until I actually go out. Will take my hunter's education classes as well.

@ Heretic - I am going to send you a PM here soon! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me about those spots I was thinking about and the gun!

@ prkrgrp - Thank you man! that is very nice of you to help me get going here, I appreciate that. I'll send you a PM here soon as well.

Any time! While I am a Remington owner, please hold off on that 770. You'll find, as someone pointed out, the Savage Axis is in the price range and IMO, a better rifle. Also check out Sportsman's Warehouse on Ann and 95. Lot of good prices for bolt guns.

Kane springs has been broken up into smaller parcels, but there are still plenty of cows, coyotes, and jacks.
Im actually trying to head out that way and camp with my little man and see if he can get some blacktail jack fur down
DaFUnk

Savage hunter package model 11 comes with a half decent Bushnell scope and run about $400. When funds are available just upgrade your optic and put a nicer trigger on it. Good rifle now, great rifle with a couple tweaks.

Originally Posted By: BoeydafunkKane springs has been broken up into smaller parcels, but there are still plenty of cows, coyotes, and jacks.
Im actually trying to head out that way and camp with my little man and see if he can get some blacktail jack fur down
DaFUnk

I suppose it will be a gated subdivision with paved roads soon. This photo was taken in 1967 just up the hill from the stock tank. Shot a lot of quail from the tent one morning as they were headed down to the tank for a drink.

The other photos were taken around that same tank.
Kanesprings.jpg

Johncoyote.jpg

Kanespringscoyote.jpg

5coyotesbadgerand1fox.jpg

@ rynokron - Thank you for the insight with the Savage rifles, I will definately look into those when I go out to buy!

@ JerrySchmitt - Awesome photos! Got a bunch of coyotes back then. Thank you for sharing
smile.gif

JerrySchmitt
Naw, Coyote springs tried to get started out that way and tanked. If it could be a hit, all of Kane springs road would be covered with its own town. Problem is its too far out and off the beaten path of where most folks go. Its one of the last gems of southern Nevada.

Back