.22-250 effective range for coyotes?

KATTRAKER

Well, now that we have beat the .223 thing to death, why not discuss a far superior caliber?

What do you all think the effective range of a .22-250 is for shooting coyotes?

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKERWell, now that we have beat the .223 thing to death, why not discuss a far superior caliber?

What do you all think the effective range of a .22-250 is for shooting coyotes?

Further than a .223 but not as far as a 6.5 or 280.
lol.gif

Its all relative.

All I will say on this one is,

Back in my younger days when I was a much better shot and Lady Luck every now and then decided to take a likin to me, I killed some coyotes with a 22-250 farther than most .223 bullets would likely travel.

OK, so luck may of had way more to do with those kills than my skills, and MAYBE a good bullet out of a .223 MIGHT of traveled that far with a stout tail wind. But still, some of those kills were farther than I ever dreamed possible. I've always thought 22-250's were damm hard to beat for coyotes.

All I know is I havent shot one more than 200 with any caliber in years.
I call them in close. (Much more fun) Then shoot them all with a suppressed weapon of my choice (depends if I want to cut them in half or just poke a little hole in them)for that day. They never seem to make it out past 200 before they all lay dead.

got a sweet kill over 400yds with my suppressed UMAR 22-250, furthest kill I've personally taken with the 22-250 platform. I've had guys tell me they've killed dogs 1/2 a mile with the 22-250, I might of believed em if they wouldn't of told me they were runnin full speed.

My .22-250 is pretty accurate, I would think 400-500yds would be in the realistic effective range, just over a 1/4 mile.

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKERSo no yardage numbers? I guess the first liar doesn't stand a chance...

This for me?

If so, no, I have no yardage numbers. I didn't own a range finder and still don't. Never carried a tape measure with me either. I remember the counted paces to some of those coyotes and could rattle them off, but you wouldn't believe me if I did. And I wouldn't blame ya.

Oh yeah, 3-9X40 scope, standard duplex reticule and no crankin turrets. All guesstimation hold over and windage. Pretty cool huh? That's all folks.
smile.gif

Not in particular. Just trying to get some conversation going. It was no problem in the .223 thread, but no one wants to talk about the good ole 250....

At what range can you put 9 out of your first 10 shots within 3" of your poa? This is assuming a 6" kill zone, as 3" either side of poa gives a 6" total area, that's moa at 600yds. This is also assuming you aim center mass. If you hold high back, you may only have an available 1" of vertical error.

Get it? The answer here, depends upon your morals/ethics, if you don't care where you hit the dog, if you wound it or not, then the answer is simple... Infinity

If you do care, then you set a baseline, as in my first paragraph, now hitting within 3" of poa 9/10 times would probably limit most to 300 yards. Especially since this isn't a game of shoot 30 times to acquire your dope, then fire 10 for score.

This is field conditions, you better call your wind and elevation correctly, better know where your cold bore will hit, no BS reality.

So, how far... Well, decide what kind of person you are and let us know, there really is no right or wrong, I'm not god, I can't tell you how to live your life and have no business judging you.

This round will kill a coyote as far as someone who cares about the animal will shoot, outside of that, you don't care, so infinity is your answer.

I'm currently building a 260 with the intent of being able to reach coyotes at long range, this means 500+ to me, this also means, given normal conditions I need to be able to hit that 6" circle. This is just my limits, that's near 1/2moa at a grand, you're really dreaming if you think you'll hold this 9/10 shots. It's not easy, takes a lot of practice, costs a good chunk of $$, but I'll do it with a smile, all while knowing 3 of my last 4 coyotes were shot within 30 yards.

But, when I'm hunting a cattle farm or a sheep farm, my limitations go out the window and I will do my damnedest to kill any coyote seen, 20 yards or 1000.

I also make an effort to shoot a decent amount, I've put near 800 rounds downrange in the last couple months. I've got 10 cases of 260 ammunition waiting for my gun to be finished.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerThe 220 swift is the one to use!
22-250 is a gimmick.

I really thought about getting a 220 Swift. When I looked at the ballsitics on the Swift, a .22-250, and a .204 Ruger it just didn't make sense to me to make any changes. I like my "gimmick" 22-250.

And I am not prepared to spend the money on a .204 Ruger. That leads me back to my 22-250

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKEROriginally Posted By: catwhackerThe 220 swift is the one to use!
22-250 is a gimmick.

I really thought about getting a 220 Swift. When I looked at the ballsitics on the Swift, a .22-250, and a .204 Ruger it just didn't make sense to me to make any changes. I like my "gimmick" 22-250.

And I am not prepared to spend the money on a .204 Ruger. That leads me back to my 22-250

+1

That gimmick has killed a lot of animals.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKEROriginally Posted By: KATTRAKEROriginally Posted By: catwhackerThe 220 swift is the one to use!
22-250 is a gimmick.

+1

That gimmick has killed a lot of animals.
lol.gif

Ya, I have 2 of them. Just pulling a few tails.
rolleyes.gif

Hi my name is Riverboss! And i hunt the infinity way. I use the inferior 22-250 alot and have made many 50yrd kills without a runner i hope someday to own a 17 hmr and extend my range. LOL.

Back