Specs and benefits of .243 lbc?

mtwood24

I am unfamiliar with this caliber and intrigued. what can you tell me about this caliber that would sell me on one? what are the downfalls to the caliber?

From what I understood it is close to the 6mm turbo. I like the 6mm turbo 40 better because dies are available, and more case capacity. I was told to do the 243 lbc you have to size the brass 2x threw 2 different dies.

Not so much. You can neck size 6.5 Grendel brass in one swipe and be done.

Take your pick, the .243 lbc is

A modified .220 Russian
A longer 6PPC
A necked down 6.5 Grendel/.264 lbc
A 6mm AR

I got my barrel from Black Hole Weaponry. The bolt is the same as the 7.62 x 39, but I ordered it from BHW to make sure it was head spaced properly.

I picked up a set of Redding 6PPC dies (which is all I need), and I placed an order from Alexander Arms for brass and magazines - the 6.5 mags are great.

The accuracy that people are getting with this round is stunning, and from a 5.56 sized AR receiver set.

If you search the BHW forum you'll see some very impressive results.

http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=243lbc

I'll be shooting mine for the first time this weekend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theogre I like the 6mm turbo 40 better because dies are available...

This is one of the things I like more about the 243 LBC.... No custom dies! They are getting some results pretty darn close to 243 win but in the smaller package. The 55/58s are smoking! I want to build one of these SO bad... Just can't justify it with the lr-243 I have that sees a lot of safe time as is...

Like aftCG said, check out blackhole. I think those guys shoot it more than anyone (from what I read).

Originally Posted By: aftCGNot so much. You can neck size 6.5 Grendel brass in one swipe and be done.

I was refering to full length sizing, can full length sizing be done on the .243 lbc?

Does the 243 lbc have the 40 deg sholder. I was going to go with the 6mm turbo improved, but am not having any luck finding a bolt barrel only.

--Theogre

Originally Posted By: theogreOriginally Posted By: aftCGNot so much. You can neck size 6.5 Grendel brass in one swipe and be done.

I was refering to full length sizing, can full length sizing be done on the .243 lbc?

Does the 243 lbc have the 40 deg sholder. I was going to go with the 6mm turbo improved, but am not having any luck finding a bolt barrel only.

--Theogre

As far as finding a barrel bolt combo, good luck. As far as I know AR-X Enterprises is the only source for a Turbo. Also, the other problem you may run into is feeding. 40 degree sholders don't always feed reliably.

The 243 LBC has a 30 degree sholder just like the parent case. No fire forming is required. Full length sizing can be done one of two ways.
#1 use a full length 6 PPC die held .070 off the shell holder.

#2 Use a Redding 6.5 Grendel full length S die.

Either way it is one pass and you have a 243 LBC

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonOriginally Posted By: theogreOriginally Posted By: aftCGNot so much. You can neck size 6.5 Grendel brass in one swipe and be done.

--Theogre

As far as finding a barrel bolt combo, good luck. As far as I know AR-X Enterprises is the only source for a Turbo. Also, the other problem you may run into is feeding. 40 degree sholders don't always feed reliably.

The 243 LBC has a 30 degree sholder just like the parent case. No fire forming is required. Full length sizing can be done one of two ways.
#1 use a full length 6 PPC die held .070 off the shell holder.

#2 Use a Redding 6.5 Grendel full length S die.

Either way it is one pass and you have a 243 LBC

Thanks alot for the info.

Sorry for hijacking...

It's looking like this is the caliber I've been waiting for. What's the optimal length barrel? I'd like to stay 20" or less for weight...how much performance would I lose?

I built mine as a 20", .750 profile ahead of the gas block, target crown.

I'll chrono the thing pretty much right away. I'll be starting with 87 Vmax and 85 Sierra Gameking.

Back