Holographic Sights for Shotguns?

Pickens

I'm looking to buy the Remington 870 Turkey/Predator Combo. I want to put a holographic sight on it for night hunting/turkey hunting. I was wondering what sights would be good and withstand shooting a 3 1/2 Dead Coyote Shell? I know that some optics fail when heavier shots are used. Any advice?

I like the Burris speed bead because it doesn't require a raise in comb. They mount with a plate sandwiched between the stock and reciever. That would be my choice.

I like holographic sights for shotguns, and even had an EOTech on my shotgun for a while but unfortunately the EOTech sits too high for me and I cant get a proper cheek weld. I use an Aimpoint 9000SC on my benelli SBE2 with 3.5 inch predator and turkey loads. Holds up perfectly fine and is a great sight.

I do like the idea of the speedbead that pahntr suggested and have been giving that some serious thoughts as a new reddot for my shotgun cause of the small profile and less weight. Cant go wrong with Aimpoint stuff though! I havent seen the new trijicon sight, but its supposedly pretty nice and the idea of not messing with batteries is sure appealing.

I use an EOTech on my Benelli M4 and kill a slew of coyotes with it. Killed a turkey as well. I shoot both eyes open so having a cheek weld isn't important. Killed a coyote at 82 yards and a turkey at 68 yards. The EOTechs are great for shotguns!

Ive been thinking of getting an M4...safe to assume you like it?? I have shot the M4 and was impressed with how it handled and the seemingly light recoil. BTW, what choke/load combos are you using for coyote and turkey if you dont mind my asking? Also..I enjoy your articles in PM magazine too.

And sorry for the off topic post OP.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI use an EOTech on my Benelli M4 and kill a slew of coyotes with it. Killed a turkey as well. I shoot both eyes open so having a cheek weld isn't important. Killed a coyote at 82 yards and a turkey at 68 yards. The EOTechs are great for shotguns!

Last edited:
For coyotes I use a Kicks Gobblin Thunder .670 choke with the 3" Dead Coyote shot shells. I use the same choke for a Turkey as well shooting #5 turkey loads. The M4 is the ultimate shotgun! Thanks for reading the articles.

Even though I dont use an EOTech on my hunting guns, I did use them on work guns...I personally like the 512/552 since it takes readily available AA batteries. For hunting, unless youre using NV, then go for the 512.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I like the Burris speed bead because it doesn't require a raise in comb. They mount with a plate sandwiched between the stock and reciever. That would be my choice.

The only problem with this is that if the OP gets the 870 with the ShurShot stock, it has a raised comb..... I bought the stock with the intention to use my regular rifle sights but the [beeep] comb is so high that I have to smash my face in there to get a sight picture....

So.. OP, if you go with the ShurShot stock, I'd be lookin to get something that sits up a little more. If it has a "regular" stock, the speed bead would be a good choice.

I went with the 512 EoTech. Works great with what I like, because I favor the optic to be forward a bit.
You might want to go to a dealer that has different holographic sights mounted on the dummy shotguns, and rifles to see what you prefer.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I like the Burris speed bead because it doesn't require a raise in comb. They mount with a plate sandwiched between the stock and reciever. That would be my choice.

+1

I prefer a red dot over the holo sights. I have two Aimpoint 9000SC red dots, one on my Benelli SBE 2 and one on my Mossberg 835. Incredible battery life and the withstand the heaviset recoil.
P1250309.jpg

P7270239.jpg

P2130207.jpg

I also run an aimpoint 9000sc on a couple of shotguns and would recommend it.

Because the scope uses a 30mm ring, you can adjust the height of the optic more easily than you can on an eotech.

Anyone use a Vortex SPARC on their shotgun? I'm seriously considering one for my Nova. Poor mans Aimpoint. If I don't like it it would end up on my AR.

Back