Upgraded my AR to a free float handguard

KATTRAKER

I asked about getting some opinions on a FFHG and Kingzero hooked me up with an Olympic Arms quad rail handguard. This replaced the stock handguards that came with my Sportical Upper. The hope is that my groups from the bench become more consistient.

Here is what it looks like now, presently wearing a 22X Tasco target scope to help me find "THE" load for it. The actual hunting scope is a Redfield Revolution 2 x 7 I also replaced the A2 flash hidder with a Black River Arms Covert Comp. It really does reduce noise for the shooter, worth the $80 to get it.

1338162887.jpg

1338162903.jpg

I like the way that tube flows into the gas lock. Very clean look! I'd recommend some pic fillers. The Pic rails can grab ya on recoil. Go with a different color for some style? Pic Filler

Those quad rails look really cool but they are like carring a chain saw on your arm. They don't ride a bad very well either. You will diffently need covers. Rifle is pretty tacti-cool though.

Looks good and I agree with the comments around pic rail covers.

By the way, where does your brass land with that slick side upper?

Sendit

I have a brass catcher for my range work. But in general the brass makes as good a pile as any Colt or Bushy I have ever owned. If I had it to do all over again...I would definetly get a slick side lower. I have not seen any drop off in performance, nor have I missed the deflector. If I was crawling around in the mud I might miss the dust cover. But I am too old and fat to spend any time in the mud. I also dont miss the forward assist, and in fact the bolt has the original FA on it, just like Stoner designed it.

To answer your question, the brass lands about 10 feet to the right, and about 4 feet behind the shooter. And the pile is pretty consistient.

Is the Sportical a high grade tactical weapon? NOPE.

Is it a reliable coyote hunting gun? Time will tell, but from what I have seen it does pretty dang good, and feeds ammo better than some of the big names I mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKERIf I had it to do all over again...I would definetly get a slick side lower.

I've heard of a slick side lower. Never have seen one. What's the difference between it and a regular lower?

I think you'll find the sportical upper to be dependable and just fine for what you are going to use it for..

I have a slick side ad as well. I don't see any disadvantage to it. One plus, I guess, is cost. The slick sides are cheaper. Not as many parts to buy or maintain.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: KATTRAKERIf I had it to do all over again...I would definetly get a slick side lower.

I've heard of a slick side lower. Never have seen one. What's the difference between it and a regular lower?

I think you'll find the sportical upper to be dependable and just fine for what you are going to use it for..

There is no dust cover, no brass deflector, and no forward assist.

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKEROriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: KATTRAKERIf I had it to do all over again...I would definetly get a slick side lower.

There is no dust cover, no brass deflector, and no forward assist.

Those 3 things are part of the UPPER pardner.

Back