MSNBC Host uncomfortable calling fallen soldiers heroes

tnyotehunter

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/hayes-msnbc-uncomfortable-calling/2012/05/27/id/440398

MSNBC host Chris Hayes says he's "uncomfortable" calling America's fallen soldiers 'heroes.'

He thinks the term is "problematic."

Why, you may ask?

it seems that Hayes feels that by honoring those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country he may be legitimizing the US effort against terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Newsbusters, the conservative website that first noticed Haye's struggle with heroism, asked "what does it say about the liberal chattering class, which Hayes epitomizes, that it chokes on calling America's fallen what they rightly and surely are: heroes?"

Here's exactly what Hayes said, followed by the video:

"Thinking today and observing Memorial Day, that'll be happening tomorrow. Just talked with Lt. Col. Steve Burke [sic, actually Beck], who was a casualty officer with the Marines and had to tell people [inaudible]. Um, I, I, ah, back sorry, um, I think it's interesting because I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes." Um, and, ah, ah, why do I feel so comfortable [sic] about the word "hero"? I feel comfortable, ah, uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war. Um, and, I don't want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that's fallen, and obviously there are individual circumstances in which there is genuine, tremendous heroism: hail of gunfire, rescuing fellow soldiers and things like that. But it seems to me that we marshal this word in a way that is problematic. But maybe I'm wrong about that."

Pretty average comment for PMSNBC. Sad and horrible because he attempts to take away the only haven of relief from those who have lost loved ones, that of a valiant hero status. Shame on him and his company.

Hayes is a leftist.

Leftists hate the military, shooting, loud noises and right and wrong.

He worked as editor for the far, far-Left 'Nation' magazine and his wife is an associate council for Obama.

Don't get too bent out of shape, though, nobody actually watches MSNBC.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze;
A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform,
So young, so tall, so proud;
With hair cut square and eyes alert,
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought... how many men like him
Had fallen through the years?
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves
No, Freedom is not Free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still;
I listened to the bugler play,
And felt a sudden chill;

I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen"
When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend;

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands.
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea,
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No. Freedom is not Free!

©Copyright 1981 by Kelly Strong

http://www.iwvpa.net/strongk/

Originally Posted By: Javafour
Hayes is a leftist.

That's funny in a silly way.
I don't see how using the word 'hero' could be construed as justification for more war. I would think even a pacifist could make the intellectual leap and understand the individual heroism involved. Using the word 'hero' wouldn't constitute an endorsement of war. The guy is taking semantics a little too far and the comment is in poor taste.

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71Originally Posted By: Javafour
Hayes is a leftist.

That's funny in a silly way.
I don't see how using the word 'hero' could be construed as justification for more war. I would think even a pacifist could make the intellectual leap and understand the individual heroism involved. Using the word 'hero' wouldn't constitute an endorsement of war. The guy is taking semantics a little too far and the comment is in poor taste.

Good for you on this one, HB! Well spoken. May God bless all our heroes and their family's for the sacrifices they have made for our country!

Regards,
hm

Quote:Good for you on this one, HB! Well spoken. May God bless all our heroes and their family's for the sacrifices they have made for our country!

Regards,
hm
Regards,
hm

#1 on both counts HB oops i mean HM
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Javafour

Don't get too bent out of shape, though, nobody actually watches MSNBC.

HB is one of a few hundred who actually do. It's one of many things that makes him "special".
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Rim_Runnerwelcome back Java. Doing any calling around here?

Hey Rimmy, thanks!

Not much last season, I just had too much going on, unfortunately.

I am really ready, though. I have been thinking about heading over the Pass and at least trying to find some rock chucks or something in spring and summer and definitely get out this season for coyotes. Tired of my Foxpro and .22-250 collecting dust...

Back