Patriotism...as defined by T Roosevelt.

pahntr760

c1c915b7.jpg

My how times have changed! I don't recall ever hearing of Teddy travelling the globe apologizing to anyone who would listen or bowing to whomever, either. Oh, but I forgot, Teddy never received the Nobel Peace Prize either, did he?

obamakerrywinners.jpg

Regards,
hm

Yeah actually he did HM... First President to ever travel outside the US (But he didn't apologize or bow to anyone!). And, the first American to ever win a Nobel Peace Prize!

http://www.republicanpresidents.net/10-interesting-facts-about-theodore-roosevelt/

Quote:

10 Interesting Facts About Theodore Roosevelt

10. First to leave the country

Roosevelt was the first president to travel outside of the continental United States while in office. In 1906, he traveled to Panama.

9. Church and State

Although Roosevelt had been a Sunday school teacher, he believed strongly in the separation of Church and State. While taking the oath of office during his inauguration after McKinley’s assassination, he did not swear on the Bible.

When the $20 gold coin was designed in 1907, the words “In God We Trust” were not present. In a letter written by Roosevelt, he said it was irreverent to have the words printed on the coins because the money was used to buy worldly goods and services. After public outcry, Congress passed legislation requiring “In God We Trust” be restored to all U.S. coins which it had been previously printed on.

8. Nobel Peace Prize

In 1906, Roosevelt was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role of negotiator in the Russo-Japanese War. He was the first American to win the Nobel Prize.

7. A multitasking homeschooler

Roosevelt’s education was mostly homeschooling by his parents and tutors. He was an avid reader and developed a photographic memory. It is said he was a great multitasker, able to dictate letters and memos to two separate secretaries while browsing through a book at the same time.

6. Just call me TR

President Roosevelt was the first president to be commonly known by his initials.

5. Boxing injury

Roosevelt was blind in his left eye, the result of a boxing injury he sustained while in office.

4. Skinny-dipper

Roosevelt was known to go skinny-dipping in the Potomac River during the wintertime.

3. First in flight

On October 11, 1910, Roosevelt took a four minute flight in a plane built by the Wright brothers, making him the first president to fly in an airplane.

2. Youngest President

Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest president, assuming the office at the age of 42 after President McKinley was assassinated. John F. Kennedy was the youngest president to be elected to office. He was 43 when he became president.

1. You can’t kill a Bull Moose

On October 14, 1912, Roosevelt was campaigning in Milwaukee, Wisconsin when a local saloon-keeper shot him. The bullet lodged in his chest after passing through a jacket pocket containing his steel eyeglass case and a copy of his 50 page speech which had been folded in half. Being an anatomist, Roosevelt concluded that since he wasn’t coughing blood the bullet had not penetrated the chest wall into his lung. He declined immediate treatment and gave his 90 minute speech with blood seeping from the wound into his shirt. “Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot,” Roosevelt said, “but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.”

The story goes TR was sickly and timid as a youth.He made the decision on his own to change that.He went to the gym so to speak and built his self up and tested his toughness and courage as a lifestyle.He was the real deal I think.I have always admired him,allowing the lapse in judgement of party change.I always figured someone told him he did not have the guts to do it so he did just to show them.

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71John Kerry is an American Hero. Teddy Roosevelt(fine man) did feel compelled to leave the Republican party.

Teddy Roosevelt left the Republican party because he was a libral progressive.He also as Assistant Secretary of the Navy helped enginner our entry into the Spanish American War.
As for MR.Kerry yes he did serve in Vietnam,but what he did after in Paris negotiating with the political arm of the Viecong,makes him a traitor in my book.If you want to call him an American hero thats your buisness...

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71Teddy Roosevelt was a conservative progressive...and John Kerry is an American hero.

I have mixed feelings about TR. His progressivism was a huge negative, but his interest in firearms, hunting exploits, love of the outdoors and creation of the national parks, etc. all weigh favorably.

I know many, MANY vietnam vets--including my uncle (two tours, '68-71, wounded) and guys who served in country, not merely 'Vietnam Era' vets who served in non-combat roles. Their take on Kerry tends to be that his service while in uniform was great--Kerry's self-aggrandizing behaviors with respect to his efforts to be awarded medals are considered highly distasteful--but his 'Winter Soldier' and other anti-war/anti-military actions once home negated any credibility he'd earned as a 'brown water' naval officer. Especially since Kerry's actions helped the enemy and his words harmed brave POW's who were then resisting NVA/VC torture rather than affirm NVA-provided false written statements stating what Kerry was lying about openly stateside.

Vets Against Kerry

John O'Neill, Kerry's nemesis since the war, is far, far more respected, as well he should be.

HB,,,What's your definition of a "Progressive"???...I feel pretty sure that it is probably a lot different than mine..

I have no problem with an attitude or action of identifying a functional problem and then effecting changes that benefit the situation...To me that is a basic progressive...

Unfortunately, it seems that the term has been bastardized to encompass wide sweeping social change when no concrete problems actually exist, just for the purpose of changing something that is theoretical in nature...

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71Teddy Roosevelt was a conservative progressive...and John Kerry is an American hero.

T.R. was not a conservative politicaly. And as for Kerry,if you want to call unauthorized meetings in Paris with the Communist Vietnamese,possibly while still in the Navy,while we were at war,a hero,well I guess I have different defination of the word.....

Here is a hero.

Charles McGee the first black man to command a domestic air wing,he also fought in WW2,Korea and Vietnam,he has to date longeg the most combat hours in an aircraft than any man alive.....

http://www.18thfwa.org/whosWho/CharlesEMcGee/CharlesEMcGee.html

Here is another!!
Dan Bullock
Youngest man killed in Vietnam...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17307

Last edited:
Teddy Roosevelt was absolutely a conservative progressive and John Kerry is absolutely a war hero...great links that you provided 'Yote...I'm exploring that site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HunterBear71Teddy Roosevelt was absolutely a conservative progressive and John Kerry is absolutely a war hero...great links that you provided 'Yote...I'm exploring that site.

John Kerry a "war hero", despite what his comrades-in-arms said of him?

Methinks not.

On heroism, HB, listen to the words of a genuine war hero, the late US Army Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters (Ret.) the much decorated leader of Easy Company, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division during WWII.

Major Dick Winters on Heroism

Originally Posted By: HunterBear71Teddy Roosevelt was absolutely a conservative progressive and John Kerry is absolutely a war hero...great links that you provided 'Yote...I'm exploring that site.

Your entitled to your own opinion,but the facts are the facts,sorry...... T.R. was a shameless self promoter,kinda like your man,Obama..

Java, Mr.Winters was a true patriot!! We will miss him!!

Last edited:
Quote:56/400 this makes you Extremely Conservative
The average score for Americans is 209.5...102/400..Extremely Conservative

Kerry has been swiftboated. You guys and politically motivated comrades can pretend he isn't a war hero...but the U.S. Navy gave the man the medals and that is an actual fact. Everything else is speculation, conjecture, and politically motivated rhetoric.
Teddy Roosevelt was a self promoter and a conservative progressive...sorry if he is a conservative that you would like to disavow. To pronounce something a 'fact' doesn't establish a whole lot.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:56/400 this makes you Extremely Conservative
The average score for Americans is 209.5...102/400..Extremely Conservative

81/400. Hmmm, guess that makes me a centrist in present company??
lol.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Back