Have you ever tried calling coyotes with turkey call

Originally Posted By: Chad WalkYes you will call them in with turkey sounds but you can also can take just about any ole turkey diaphram call and make distress sounds and coyote howls with them. People have been doing it for years.

Chad

LOL, I'd love to hear those howls you're getting out of those turkey diaphragms! Maybe you can meet up sometime and give me a demonstration...

I was turkey hunting last spring and a coyote almost rain off with my decoy. Would have shot him if I wasn't watching a Tom in the tree.

Originally Posted By: jasonpredhunterOriginally Posted By: Chad WalkYes you will call them in with turkey sounds but you can also can take just about any ole turkey diaphram call and make distress sounds and coyote howls with them. People have been doing it for years.

Chad

LOL, I'd love to hear those howls you're getting out of those turkey diaphragms! Maybe you can meet up sometime and give me a demonstration...
Ive been using single reed turkey calls for coyotes since about 1986 myself. Doubles for a courser/deeper sound.
They make super distress/whimpers/whines/howls/barks/rabbit & the rest of the spectrum of sounds coyotes like. Nothing like a diaphragm & open reed call in tandum use. Now if you can keep the breath up!

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: jasonpredhunterOriginally Posted By: Chad WalkYes you will call them in with turkey sounds but you can also can take just about any ole turkey diaphram call and make distress sounds and coyote howls with them. People have been doing it for years.

Chad

Ive been using single reed turkey calls for coyotes since about 1986 myself. Doubles for a courser/deeper sound.
They make super distress/whimpers/whines/howls/barks/rabbit & the rest of the spectrum of sounds coyotes like. Nothing like a diaphragm & open reed call in tandum use. Now if you can keep the breath up!

Call em' by whatever name you want to, turkey, predator, elk, but some are definitely voiced & suited better for different animal sounds. Here's the deal...if you're getting good, smooth howls out of a diaphragm than it's gonna sound like crap as a turkey call, unless you're doing a keekee run. A call that will do good turkey vocals with two-toned yelps & raspy cutts WILL NOT HOWL WORTH A DANG,PERIOD!!!! To get those two-toned yelps & raspy cutts you need a diaphragm with cuts in the reeds, to get good howls you don't need the cuts. I bet money those old single reed turkey calls don't have cut reeds & I don't doubt that they will howl just fine, but I'd also bet that they sound like crap when it comes to turkey vocals. You can call them turkey calls if you want to but they'd be better labeled as predator calls or howlers. Some people just don't know the difference between good & bad animal vocals so they lump them all together. Point is, saying that you can get good howls & turkey vocals out of the same call tells anybody that knows anything at all about diaphragms that you either have bad turkey vocals, bad howls, or worse yet both!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Each year while turkey hunting I'll usually have a coyote or two come slithering in to my decoys. Most of them leave dead. On occasion I've spotted coyotes while I'm on the move and have ducked down and used my diaphram to call them into shotgun range. The only bobcat I've ever seen here in Indiana came in as I was working a gobbler. I'd been on the turkey for about 45 minutes when it suddenly just shut up and left. As I sat there wondering why the bird left, I spotted the bobcat sneaking up a ridge about 75 yards form me.

My cousin was turkey calling this spring up in the gila when he said a cougar came to the call. That must have been pretty intense and to bad he couldn't have harvested it.

Back