Calling Sequence for an Electronic Caller

NEO Hunter

I am new to predator hunting and would like some advice on calling sequences. I have read that most people call for about 20-30 minues per setup and call for 2-3 minute bursts with mouth calls and rest a few minutes then continue. But what are most callers doing with electronic callers. Are you letting it run the whole set or are you muting it for a period of time? I picked up a FoxPro spitfire to start calling with while I learn the basics of varmint hunting. Thanks for all the advice on this subject and any other advise to help me learn is greatly appreciated.

Since you're new to predator hunting/calling, my advice would be to start the caller and PUT THE REMOTE DOWN. LEAVE THE REMOTE ALONE. Let the caller run constantly. HOLD VERY STILL. Concentrate on seeing an animal, not jacking around with the remote. Scan as far left/right as you can only using/moving your eyes. When moving your head or any other part of your body, do it SLOWLY.

If at all possible, move when the animal is not looking in your direction or when it passes by or behind something that helps block it's view of you.

I agree with Doggin!!!

I would also suggest going calling when the conditions are favorable - Such as cold weather = hungry coyotes!

The last thing you want to do is go out and not see anything coming to the call. It will ruin your investment and it will not be a pleasant experience and you will become frustrated.

I would wait until cold weather sets in and the coyotes are on the move for food.

Just my opinion!

Kevin

I concur with the above answers ^^^^.
You dont need to have it blasting the sounds out either.
Scan scan scan....think like a coyote, where/how would you approach the sound if you were a coyote.
Dont let not seeing one frustrate you, chances are they may have seen you.

I like to start calling when cold weather hits and use nothing but distress calls. I will call non stop with them. When breaking season rolls around I like to start with a lone female howl wait about 10 sec and go with a female challenge. After about 1 min I go with a pup distress or growling coyotes and u can just about guarantee them to be beside the caller within 3 min. Around the 8 min mark is when I've seen most coyotes. I use a scenario with my calling. Like a female howls and another female challenges short after. After the challenge a fight breaks out within 2 or 3 minutes

You will get a lot of good advice and personal opinions on this subject. Most people are going to tell you what works for them and you need to try it. Sooner or later you will find out what works for you and your hunting conditions.

Sometimes I leave it running (open spaces) and sometimes I run it for two minutes and cut if off for two (tighter spaces).

Spitfire is a good investment.

If you learn how to create good sequences with a program like Goldwave, you can start your ecaller and not worry about turning on and off. I like sequences that create a realistic scenario.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresDoggin gave some excellent advice.
Dang near killed me to say that.

And WHY did it almost kill you to say that?
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: possumalIf you learn how to create good sequences with a program like Goldwave, you can start your ecaller and not worry about turning on and off. I like sequences that create a realistic scenario.

I can program sequences on my FOXPRO with breaks, volume variations, different sounds, etc. if you can do that with your spitfire it is a big help.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresDoggin gave some excellent advice.
Dang near killed me to say that.

And WHY did it almost kill you to say that?
unsure.gif

It just doesn't seem natural.

My best suggestion to a newbie using an e-caller is to start calling at LOW volume. An often made mistake made by someone new to calling is to jack the volume high right from the start. One will be surprised how close some coyotes are to their calling stand. If nothing responds then ramp the volume up and let it go. For the most part, if you are new to calling I agree that its best to let the e-caller play continuously.
There is a learning curve to the use of an e-caller just as there is with a handcall. E-callers are a great addition to predator calling but they are not a do all in all coyote calling scenarios. I have a FoxPro Fury with the FoxBang feature. E-callers are great for use in coyote vocalizations whereby hand calls used for coyote vocalizations can be difficult to master.
I've been a predator hunting addict for over four decades and have found what works best for me. I adjust my tactics and strategies to match the seasonal changes in coyote behavior. My best tip for success is to take time to study coyote behavior as much as possible. Its that knowledge that levels the playing field between hunter and predator.
Last calling tip: During early fall hunting when many less educated pups are out and about always end your calling scenario on stand with the old standby pup in distress call...leave the e-caller running and get ready for some fast action especially if your goal is calling in the big alpha dog. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay their scot Ewing I have a question ?HOW do you like the fox pro with the flash bang ????? My next caller I thought about getting the wild fire fox pro that has the flash bang on it . But wondering how the flash bang works in hunting if it a good thing or not.

I sent my FoxPro Fury off to have the Fox Bang feature installed and all I can say is it is a great feature and works very well. When multiples respond and the first shot is fired the response with the Ki Yi is immediate. This feature has several levels of sensitivity and can be set to work with any caliber of rifle one is using. The beauty of the feature is one never has to lose concentration and can up the odds of scoring doubles a lot. I love it...worth every penny.

Back