Review of 450 bushmaster

dcase

REVIEW OF 450 BUSHMASTER
The 450 bushmaster is a MUST have if you are a serious AR shooter. Cabalas sell the uppers on sale for under s$700. I was supposed to get the 16” but was sent the 20” instead. I actually wanted the 20” anyway. Out of the box, put my Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 on and in five shots was “BULLSEYE” at 100 yrds on a very windy day. After that I put 3 rounds in the same hole (bullseye). I fired 3 rounds and let the barrel cool. It is like shooting a cannon. You shoot a 250 gr bullet at 2200 fps. Even at 300 yrds it is hitting with more force than point blank with a 44 mag. I have not shot it to that distance yet but I have no doubts with its performance at 100 yrds (tack driver). The recoil is about that of a 20 gauge shotgun. I do have the edidine recoil buffer and I would recommend it.
Ammo is far cheaper than for the .50 Beowulf or 458 SOCOM. LOOK at the fps and ft/lbs of energy for all of these along with the cost and it is a no-brainer it’s the 450 Bushmaster. I have found the ammo for as low as $23.50 a box. I have read many articles on this and there was concern regarding ammo. It’s the cheapest out there for this type of AR and the more people that get this the better.
It is just FUN to shoot!!! This is one of the best buys I have made. My guess is I will not have to chase deer nor will I lose any anymore because of lack of blood trail. I hunt in very heavy forested area where you can take a long shot but the deer jump into the trees and can be very hard to find without a good blood trail. BUY THIS GUN, YOU WILL LOVE IT!
I hope this helps if you are looking at getting this upper/gun.

I purchased my 450 upper about a year and half ago for 549 bucks. I have the 16" model. It is everything you describe. I can easily make one ragged hole at 100 yds with 3 rds. I put a JP trigger in the lower and it's even better. I put a limbsaver slip on recoil pad on my A2 stock and it's like shooting a .223. I bought it for hog hunting and although I never saw one last season, but, when I do, it's gonna be a Hoglacaust for sure.

Agreed, its a very nice caliber and a very manageable fireram.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI had one. The recoil is over-hyped in my opinion. It wasn't bad.

I added an Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer to my 450 it made most of the recoil go away. Best $100 I ever spent and yes the 450 is must if you own an AR. Now, I have a buffer in all my AR's.

I really want to put one on a polymer NFA LW-15 lower that I just bought from JoeBobs. It would be used for deer/hogs.

Would a polymer lower hold up to the 450 Bushmaster?

Not 100% sure but IMHO the receiver doesn't really take a lot of stress. The explosion is contained by the chamber and barrel, and the rest is just the bolt moving against the buffer/ spring.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI had one. The recoil is over-hyped in my opinion. It wasn't bad.

No. The recoil is not that bad, but softening it up makes it even more fun to shoot a lot more rounds. You could still end up wit a sore shoulder the next day. And I like to shoot a lot.

As far as ammo is concerned, I have not found it to be readily available. Some at gun shows and one pawn shop near me keeps a few boxes on hand, but as far as on shelf at bass pro or academy, none yet. I haven't started yet, but look forward to reloading the brass I've saved. Hopefully I can get at least as good results as the Hornady factory ammo who's is very good.

Originally Posted By: LongnkrnchAs far as ammo is concerned, I have not found it to be readily available. Some at gun shows and one pawn shop near me keeps a few boxes on hand, but as far as on shelf at bass pro or academy, none yet. I haven't started yet, but look forward to reloading the brass I've saved. Hopefully I can get at least as good results as the Hornady factory ammo who's is very good.

AmmoSeek is my friend. Plenty of .450 Bushmaster ammo available online. Currently, the lowest price is here: http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-82244-450-Bushmaster-250gr-FTX-%28Per-20%29.html?google=1

Originally Posted By: FishSqueezerI really want to put one on a polymer NFA LW-15 lower that I just bought from JoeBobs. It would be used for deer/hogs.

Would a polymer lower hold up to the 450 Bushmaster?

Lets us know how it works out. I have mine on a RRA lower.

I dont know about in the stores but online I have had no problem. Try ammoseek.com. I found some Hornady for $23.50 a box.

Up-date
I had a chance to shoot the 450 BM at 200 and 300 yrds. Was NOT disappointed. 1-2” groups at 200 yrds and 3-4” at 300. Third shoot at 300 using a BDC I put the shot right smack in the bulls eye. The wind kicked up and the kids were getting busy so I didn’t have a lot of time to shoot but was able to hit the bulls eye at 300 yrds on the third shot. VERY impressive gun. Not just a 100-200 yrd gun, 100-300 yrd gun and most hunters I know are not shooting beyond that on typical game. Most of the hunters I know dont take shots out to 300 yrds anyway. Again, at 300 yrds it has MORE energy than a .44 mag point blank.

One thing I have noticed about the ammo (at least the Hornady) is that when you chamber a round, the bolt slamming forward will pull the bullet a little due to bullet weight and inertia. For hunters, like me, who might chamber and eject a round multiple times without firing, this could be an issue. I have noticed the OAL of rounds increasing by .015" with just a single chambering. I have not measured after multiple chamberings.

Does anyone have a photo of groups and or guns? I am thinking of something unique for down the road. Also, this caliber would make an excellent elk cartridge for many places on the coast of Oregon.

Back