The only other predator that gives me a rush like a coyote...

Ursus21

I've been out of pocket for a while and basically missed the whole ordeal that TT went through. Was real sorry to hear about that. While his life was not going well, mine probably couldn't have been going better. Again Tony sorry for the tough life lessons you experienced.

I love coyote hunting, but there is one other predator that really gets me jazzed. Heck, they might even get me more worked up, but I don't get to hunt them as much as I do coyotes, so that is probably a big contributing factor. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to come down and hunt bears with him in WY for several years. One thing or another has kept me from going, but this year the stars aligned and I was able to go. I will admit that I was extremely lucky and it was the shortest bear hunt either of us has ever experienced. This was my 10th bear, but I've been on countless bear hunts that took much longer or often ended without me tripping the trigger. We had actually only been seriously hunting about 2 1/2 hours when this bear came out of a steep valley right below us and was headed directly away from us. We watched it as it plodded along sloooowly not really offering a shot. Needless to say I was getting just a little antsy. We were also trying to determine whether it was a boar or not, and if there were any cubs. After a while it was obvious it was alone. Then finally (seemed like forever) it turned broadside to look at it's back trail. It looked good to both of us so I sent a Hornady 165gr Interbond through it's shoulder's. Love my old 30.06!!! Killed it with one shot and then it was time for a happy dance, picture taking, and a grueling uphill (very STEEP) pack out. My pard and I are still a little freaked out about how quickly the hunt went. It is good it did though, as the weather turned really nasty for the next several days. So I am very grateful things worked out the way it did. Love the long hair and the color of this thing!!!
TroyBear3.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to see you still have black bears, all ive seen in idaho this year are grizzlys, i havnt see a blackie that size in 4 years over here congrats on your trophy its a beauty

Gorgeous bear Troy! Love the coloration of it.

No worries about my life lessons. Hopefully I will get my footage and can share my 2 first bears that I took, as well. Nothing of that coloration or size.

Well done!

Tony

Back