Anyone give their dog Ivomec for heartworm prevention?

Drummer Boy75

I recently bought some Ivomec (Ivermectin) for swine/cattle at the farm store as opposed to paying the vet for heartworm shots for my two German Shepherds. They hover around the 90lb mark. I was told by a few people that about 1cc for every 100 lbs is the right dose. Just want to see if anyone else has any feedback or insight before i do it. Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Originally Posted By: emeraldterriers1yep 1/10cc for every 10 lbs. if they already have heart worms you will your shepherds

I've read it will likely kill a dog that already has heart worms. I'm guessing that's what you meant emerald?

I've got a question not for me, but for a buddy that owns a LOT of dogs and spends a BUNCH of money on Heartguard. This cattle/swine Ivomec you're talking about. Is this stuff a paste that you give orally or a liquid that is injected?

If paste, how do you measure in cc increments?

Another question. I've got Sage started on Iverheart Max. After a few good frosts this fall I should be ok to discontinue it's use until next spring when the moskeeters sharpen up their pokers again. Is this correct? (duh, I guess I could ask the vet this question.
smile.gif
) Oh well, I'd still like to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks.

PS. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to owning numerous dogs in my day and have never given any of them heart worm prevention. As far as I know, heart worms in dogs hasn't been a big deal around these parts in years gone by. (If they are/were, I was to ignorant to know or worry about it. That's probably the case.) But I don't think any of my dogs ever had heart worms. Anyways, for the first time this year I've heard about some dogs around here being tested positive for heart worms. Figured it was time.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: emeraldterriers1yep 1/10cc for every 10 lbs. if they already have heart worms you will your shepherds

I've read it will likely kill a dog that already has heart worms. I'm guessing that's what you meant emerald?

I've got a question not for me, but for a buddy that owns a LOT of dogs and spends a BUNCH of money on Heartguard. This cattle/swine Ivomec you're talking about. Is this stuff a paste that you give orally or a liquid that is injected?

If paste, how do you measure in cc increments?

Another question. I've got Sage started on Iverheart Max. After a few good frosts this fall I should be ok to discontinue it's use until next spring when the moskeeters sharpen up their pokers again. Is this correct? (duh, I guess I could ask the vet this question.
smile.gif
) Oh well, I'd still like to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks.

PS. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to owning numerous dogs in my day and have never given any of them heart worm prevention. As far as I know, heart worms in dogs hasn't been a big deal around these parts in years gone by. (If they are/were, I was to ignorant to know or worry about it. That's probably the case.) But I don't think any of my dogs ever had heart worms. Anyways, for the first time this year I've heard about some dogs around here being tested positive for heart worms. Figured it was time.

I had a dog with heartworms. They injected him with something like arsenic to kill the worms. They say if the dog is jumping around a dead worm can dislodge and kill the dog, so you have to keep them stationary for a couple weeks. My dog got the worms in december or January, so I keep it going all year.

doggin you are correct... i was the same way for yrs,running coonhounds and bird dogs then... i didnt mess with it either but my terriers are in some nasty places at times. i use the liquid with a syringe (no needle) and just shoot it down there throat.

Thanks for the insight guys! I just gave my boys their shot today. That stuff is much cheaper than getting Heartguard and it only takes a second. Doggin, I didn't really worry about it too much before either, but i've heard there's more cases recently so the $30 bucks was cheap insurance. The bottle will probably expire before i use it all up.

I have heard all the claims that Ivermec can kill herding dogs, I'm sure there is some truth to it, on the flip side, every cowboy in this area, myself included has wormed dogs with Ivermec for years, don't know of a single cowdog that has died from it.

I have owned quite a few dogs on that list and my vet as never even mentioned not giving any of my dogs Ivomec. Not sure if this is because he isn't aware of this problem or that it really isn't a problem. He will be getting a call tomorrow.

Guys, I have Been using Ivomec for years, never had a problem with it. I have treated several Breeds of Dogs including Shepards, several Hound Breeds, Labs, German Short Haired Pointers, Brittanys, Feist, and Black Mouth Curs without any problems. But all of this has been done under supervision of a couple of good friends who are Vets..

I use 1/10cc per 10 lbs., each dog is tested once a year to make sure they do not have Heart Worms. Also any new dogs I get are tested before, they receive any Ivomec. If your dog has Heart Worms, and you treat him/her it is almost certain they will die. I STRESS DO NOT SKIP ANY MONTHS OF TREATMENT. THE IVOMEC IS CHEAP, AND THEIR IS NO NEED TO RISK YOUR DOG'S HEALTH. All my Dogs are treated via the mouth, with a dog treat to follow.

i use ive horse wormer and a small amount about 3/16 in on finger nail old man swore by it as do i and bimonthly use happyjack every other month cant use same all time

My mountain curr did have a reaction to it, swellled up with hives and her earns got so swelled, they stood straight out to the side. Gave her some benedryl(sp?) and she was fine. Just made her very itchy, dont think she was ever in grave danger but she's also the only dog I've had that had a reaction.

XM110

Back