A tale of two conpanies

bluealtered

I decided i needed another ar just because i guess, and since i work part time in a store with a great sporting goods department that stocks both new frontier lowers and redx uppers i went that way and got one of each.

The next morning i went to the range to start the breakin of both parts. The upper wouldn't feed from the mag so i fed it single shot, a little polishing would fix that when i got home. I was doing the one shot, clean one shot clean for the first ten rounds and on the tenth round the takedown pin came out in two pieces. (you can guess where the detent and spring went)

When i got home i emailed new frontier and explained what had happened, on their next business day they emailed back that new parts were on the way, and they got here the next day. In the mean time i pulled the ar apart to clean it and found the front pin was broken as well.

So i emailed them again and the part shows up, no problem. I had asked them on the first email if they had incountered this problem and they said no, let us know what happens.

Back to the range i go and ten rounds later i'm heading home again. This time both pins are broken and i'm not real happy. The pin fit on these two parts was the tightest i have had and had to use my little gunsmiths hammer to make them work. (that should have been clue one)

Another email to frontier and they say send it back, we'll send you a new lower. They did, overnight and like the parts before it was prepaid by them. Out to the range i go and i'm checking the pins every shot now, yep ten rounds and a broken rear pin.

I have read about some of the early models breaking pins but this is a new lower with the numbers way above that, (74**). I email them what had happened and they just haven't had this happen before but offer to send me steel pins if i want to try them.

While this is going on i email redx as well and explain what componets i'm using and what is happening and would they please email me so we can try to find a solution to the problem. The response i got was that all poy lowers were garbage and they would never honor any warranty work for a upper that was used with a poly lower. I never asked for warranty work, only to speak to someone about the problem i was having.

I then emailed back that i worked in a store that was stocking their product and would be ordering more. I also stated that the owner of the store made it a point not to carry any venders products if they won't stand behind them. I still hadn't asked for warranty work, just talk to me about whats going on.

The reply was that he didn't care who i was or where i worked, or if we carried his products or not. All poly lowers are junk and theres nothing more to say.

At this point i'm stuck, while i have been working on guns for many years, i'm not a gunsmith and don't pretend to be, the only thing left i can think of is to take the lower down to our store. I do and i take five ar's off the shelf and fit them to the lower, they all perfectly. Two of those i try are redx uppers and they fit as well as the others.

Now i go to our local gunsmith with the upper who after checking it over says that the rear pin hole is off spec just enough to cause the very tight fit and that it would shock the rear pin and break it after a few rounds.

This i email to redx but theres nothing more to say and i don't get a reply.

So i email new frontier what the problem was and make an apology to them for what problems this may have caused and offer to pay for everything they have sent me. They email me back the amount and when they open this morning i'll take care of it.

At this point i'll just have to chalk it up as a learning lesson of life. I know some of you have redx uppers that work great. My experince just didn't work out that way. I guess the bottom line is pretty simple, if you have problems with your redx parts, it would be a good idea not to say you are using a poly lower.

One of the companies involved here bent over backwards to help even though in the end it wasn't their fault. The other company found what they considered an easy out and took it. (You know i never did ask for warranty work, just to talk to someone.) blue

That sucks! I have been contemplating this exact combination for a light weight rifle for my wife. I guess I will have to find another manufacturer for the upper.

Thanks for saving me from a potential headache.

Service is everthing and with social media you better have good service. What you said happened would couse me never to buy a redx product WOW. I would contact the advertising manager a have him look at your thread. Im sure you would get somewhere then! That sucks, you are in the rite no question.

Last edited:
I just crossed Redx off my list. I hope this message gets out to enough people that they learn the importance of customer service. Thanks for the heads up. Hearing problems like this helps the rest of us avoid future headaches.

There are so many choices out there, it amazes me anyone thinks they can still do business like this.

Sorry to hear the way you were treated, that sucks. I have a RedX upper and it is everything that I was expecting. Good fit and reliable, plus accurate. I have mine mounted on the NFA lower also. It's too bad that they have to act in this manner as it is a great way to crap on your own reputation.

If your smith said its out of spec id have. The company you work for send it in and tell them its out of spec. That's BS and I surely would not settle for a lesson learned.

While I have not had any experience with RED-X, I will be cautious of their products because of your experience.

NFA is right down the road from me, not three miles. I have experience dealing with the owner of New Frontier. I think he deals with people the way he wants to be treated if he were a customer. His staff is the same way. You can't get from the front door to the counter without having a couple of "Can I help you with anything?" or "Can I help you find something?" They are a no-nonsense bunch and if something is wrong, they'll make it right. It's not worth having an unhappy customer for something as trivial as a small part.

As for polymer lowers, there are videos on lw15.com on the abuse those lowers can take.

Is the local 'smith going to open that pin hole for you so you don't have that problem again?

You know, it's not so much that a problem happened as it is the attitude displayed by the company, which translates into poor customer service, which translates to the company suffering down the road for lack of customers.

We all are big boys and realize that things just happen sometimes. We don't want to jump to conclusions or falsely accuse, but it's pretty hard to swallow when any company takes such a brazen approach.

For some time now I have been contemplating a new 6x45 build, and have been looking at various lowers and uppers. Trying to get a handle on what I might want, I have looked at various vendors, many of whom are PM sponsors, so that when the time comes to make a purchase I'll know where to go and what I want.

Looks like I've scratched two vendors off my list just this week.

Thanks for the information. It's good to share such things with other members.

Put the e mail up you recieved. Id like to see it. Just built a gun for a buddy with the same parts. He broke the front take down pin off. First thing i did was chuck both pins and put in steel, problem solved. The NFA lowers do have tight specs.

I also have a redx upper with NFA lower, fortunately everything has performed great for me the fit and function on both has been great for the aprox 150 rounds I have shot. The only part in your story that I question is the fact that NFA says they have had no problems with broken pins, there have been multiple posts here on predator masters about the pins breaking in the NFA lowers "not all on redx uppers" and most people said the same as you NFA sent them new ones no questions asked, so that tells me there could be a possible problem with their pins. I believe joe bobs sends new pins out for free for the people that ordered thru them, that also tells me there may be a little problem with pins. Just my 2 cents. Was rude of redx to talk to you like that though! I hope I have no problems with mine that will cause me to get talked to like that. good luck!

I thought long and hard about posting this in the first place, because there are business's involved here and as a person who was in business for many years i know how much commitment it takes to make one run.

I brought it up for two reasons, one i was wrong about new frontier and i'm big enough to stand up and say so. The other reason is that the members here have helped me and everybody else any time we asked for it. If something comes up that can cause another member a problem in the future i need to let them know.

I do take this personal because i'm the reason our store is stocking these products. Like a lot of other stores our supply of complete ar's went on back order and we have customers that want to own one.

The sporting goods manager and myself got together and decided that we could still get the two pieces needed to build a rifle and the owner said ok do it. I was asked what two companies i knew of that were getting good reviews and these are the two i had read about here and other forums that first came to mind, so yes in that context it's personal.

Now that i know what the problem is i can fix it in just a few minutes. At the time i contacted both companies i simply didn't know, if it had been metal pins it would have shown me the problem right at the start.

Tools that make tools wear out, thats just the way it is. Hopefully the jobber, (if they aren't being machined in house) that redx gets their stripped upper recievers from caught this problem early and mine is the only one.

I now have 107 rds through that upper, (the hard way) and yes it works fine except for the fit issue, and if i was using a metal lower it may fit fine as well. I don't have any metal lowers any more so i can't say. And yes it is accurate as any off the shelf upper i have had.

As for correcting the problem, well now my worst enemy has shown up and thats curiosity, what if i leave it just to see if it does egg out the pin holes with metal pins which are on the way, if so, how far will it go? For that matter will it go at all? I hate curiosity, it's always gotten me in trouble.

No i won't post the reply simply because i cleaned it up to put on here and nothing positive could come from posting it as i got it, you can draw your own conclusions from what is here. Thank you to everyone for the support, i just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't go down this road as well.

Last edited:
Thats why I stay with all aluminum lowers.The amount you save in weight is only slight and the cost isnt much different.I hear good words about plum crazy poly lowers.

Thanks for posting your experiance.
I have never bought anything from RedX and now never will.
Not because there was an issue with the part, but because of the lack of CS.
That has got to be one of the worst cases of lack of CS ever.
Never cared for Poly lowers, but if in the market for one I would
deffinatley look at New Frontier

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jonbearmanThats why I stay with all aluminum lowers.The amount you save in weight is only slight and the cost isnt much different.I hear good words about plum crazy poly lowers.

Not sure you have read any of the post at all, but the problem had nothing to do with the lower or the pins.

When I say we haven't had many problems with pins breaking, we mean that the pins aren't just breaking for no reason. When you try to hammer them into an out of spec upper, they will break yes, just like metal pins would bend if you hammered them into a metal receiver.

I'm glad we got this one all figured out because it was really bugging me. I'm happy that you ended up happy at the end of the day, just wish we could have got you figured out sooner.

The problem we do see, is not a problem with our pins, its that the polymer pins have a slight flex, which allows them to go into these out of spec uppers and back out the other side, but then have extreme pressure put on them.

hmmm. I bought a RED X 20 SS Bull upper. Built by them. minus carrier group, C/H. $290.00 shipped.

she pinned on a Stag,Spikes, old pre ban Bushy lower fine?

just built a 16 Bull....... Their upper,barrel. Same thing, pins up fine?

Folk's around me replace the takedown pins with steel AR pin's in plum crazy lowers

002-5.jpg

004-1.jpg

Last edited:
considering how well they worked out I'm more than happy with RED X. 5- 50gr. Soft points in about 1.25 @ 100 first load tried. key hole forge upper.

mine are 1 month old for the 20, 2 weeks for the 16"

008-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

Last edited:
bluealtered. I'd run that RED X upper on a good mil spec lower, using a good magazine and see whats happening?

mine pin up fine. push the pins with thumb.

Back