AR in 7.62x39 ?

pukindog

I am kind of bored and thinking about converting a 5.56 AR to 7.62x39mm. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this particular caliber in an AR, good or bad?

In my opinion,

Stay with the 223/5.56 or go straight to 308 caliber. More and better ammo is avail for those two then the russian variant of 7.62-39mm

good luck and happy shooting

wayne

I should clarify that I am not looking for a whole new gun, such as a .308 - not that I have anything against .308s - I have several.

I am just looking for something that might be a fun and relatively inexpensive coversion project, so I am doing a little research on what problems I might run into - the magazine issue mentioned above is a good example.

I will still have plenty of 5.56 ARs if I convert one. For what it's worth I already have an AK and an SKS for which already stock ammo, which is another reason this particular conversion is of interest to me.

I have a Colt Match Target Lightweight 7.62x39. I'm pretty "ho-hum" about it. Reliable magazines are kinda iffy to lay your hands on. Years ago I replaced the upper with a Wilson Combat .223 18" flattop and haven't shot the 7.62 upper in years.

Originally Posted By: coyotexI remember KIES having some 7.62 uppers with a MOA or less guarentee...might be a good place to start.

X

I am more looking at a barrel/bolt combo as opposed to a complete upper. They have a nice looking barrel for a good price. Hmmm...

I just sold my 20" upper, had no problems with it, but I am looking for something shorter, either pistol or carbine. The ASC magazines, and a model 1 sales firing pin should get your upper to eat anything. I am looking for a replacement for it right now.

Originally Posted By: DustI just sold my 20" upper, had no problems with it, but I am looking for something shorter, either pistol or carbine. The ASC magazines, and a model 1 sales firing pin should get your upper to eat anything. I am looking for a replacement for it right now.

Thanks for that info. I took a quick look on the Model 1 website but couldn't find specific info other than the price. Is their enhanced firing pin extended or otherwise designed to account for harder primers?

Colt made some ARs in 7.63X39, but discontinued them due to mag feeding problems. I'm building an AR in .300 Blackout next week. It should perform nearly the same as the 7.62X39, but uses the 5.56 case as a parent. Same mags, bolt, everything as the 5.56 AR. Simple barrel change is all that's needed. I'll be running an Osprey GP conversion on mine to negate the need for an adjustable gas block, as I will be shooting both sub sonic and super sonic ammo.

I would go with 7.62x40 WT if you're not planning on shooting subsonic w/suppressor. All you need is a barrel change and slight mag modification or you can buy them from Wilson ready to go. It outperforms the 300 blk and 7.62x39. The only downside with this cartridge is reloading is a must. Its basically a 30-30 in an ar platform.
7.62x40 WT

I have an armalite with a colt heavy barrel on it and have not had mag problems,and it is way more accurate than a mini 30 or a ak 47 junk. They out function anything but are measured in minute of barn.

Originally Posted By: Lou PatrickI would go with 7.62x40 WT if you're not planning on shooting subsonic w/suppressor. All you need is a barrel change and slight mag modification or you can buy them from Wilson ready to go. It outperforms the 300 blk and 7.62x39. The only downside with this cartridge is reloading is a must. Its basically a 30-30 in an ar platform.
7.62x40 WT

That sounds very interesting, especially since I have lots of 5.56x45 brass. Can you tell me any details about forming the brass?

Back