Mark X actions

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243can anyone tell me about these actions? Junk, OK, or good for a Build.

Outstanding actions - I have several find rifles built on them.

i have one in 22/250 that has always had trouble picking up the nxt round.if the shell is not perfect in the mag.it will miss it,i use this gun for night hunting so it can be a pain.the gun shoots half min. or less all the time though.

Last edited:
been using my .308 for 30+ years. Be careful of trigger adjustments, you can get too little engagement. Beyond that, rock solid!

the action is already on a custom 22-243, squared and trued with a sweet trigger i am told. gun should be here first of the week, i am pretty excited about it.

I had a 30-06 manlicher stocked mark x. It was well built but I only shot it once. Not that it didn't work good, just that it was too dang heavy to lug around the field all day. These actions have a solid reputation and are popular for custom guns and an excellent platform for a dangerous game rifle. Not sure where you found bad reviews. I did a ton of research on them at the time and found mostly great reviews.

Same action was being imported by remington I think it was a 790.

The Yugoslav Zvastava action is what has been imported into the US on and off since the ~1960's-1970's era. Originally they came in as imported rifles and as actions and barreled actions sold by Interarms in Alexandria, VA.

At one point in time, Charles Daly imported the same action in an almost identical looking rifle. During the Yugoslav war of the 1990's, the Zvastava factory was shelled by Serbian forces and it was destroyed. Following the conclusion of the war, the US State Department slapped an arms embargo on the Serbian government of Yugoslavia which barred importation of the actions and the actions dried up for a time in the US. Remington came on board a few years ago and when the embargo was finally lifted, they began importing rifles labeled as Remington Model 798 rifles and the earlier smaller Mark X Mini action was imported as the Model 799. This arrangement has since lapsed and I'm not sure if they are still being imported by anyone today.

Overall, fit and finish varied greatly over the years. The Interarms rifles were generally a well polished and finished action. Later, under Charles Daly, the metal finishing was not as good with tooling marks visible on some of the action surfaces. The Remington logo rifles had decent surface polishing but are not of the level of the Interamrsm era in terms of overall quality and finish.

Mauser fans do use them to build rifles, but for the most part you end up with a decent rifle at a modest price. A few years ago, CDNN, a wholesale firm in Abilene, Texas sold off the Remington remnants in 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag at about $500 per complete rifle, a testament to their real worth and the small demand for them.

Although some are used for custom rifles today, a real Mauser fan planning to build a fairly expensive custom rifle on a 98 Mauser action today will seek out a Brevex or a commercial FN action or even a good military action like the FN military, CZ-24, or the '09 Argentine action before using a Mark X to build on due to quality differences. In the classic Mauser custom rifle world, a good commercial FN action or similar is a Cadillac, and the Mark X is a Chevy Nova in comparison.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanThe Yugoslav Zvastava action is what has been imported into the US on and off since the ~1960's-1970's era. Originally they came in as imported rifles and as actions and barreled actions sold by Interarms in Alexandria, VA.

At one point in time, Charles Daly imported the same action in an almost identical looking rifle. During the Yugoslav war of the 1990's, the Zvastava factory was shelled by Serbian forces and it was destroyed. Following the conclusion of the war, the US State Department slapped an arms embargo on the Serbian government of Yugoslavia which barred importation of the actions and the actions dried up for a time in the US. Remington came on board a few years ago and when the embargo was finally lifted, they began importing rifles labeled as Remington Model 798 rifles and the earlier smaller Mark X Mini action was imported as the Model 799. This arrangement has since lapsed and I'm not sure if they are still being imported by anyone today.

Overall, fit and finish varied greatly over the years. The Interarms rifles were generally a well polished and finished action. Later, under Charles Daly, the metal finishing was not as good with tooling marks visible on some of the action surfaces. The Remington logo rifles had decent surface polishing but are not of the level of the Interamrsm era in terms of overall quality and finish.

Mauser fans do use them to build rifles, but for the most part you end up with a decent rifle at a modest price. A few years ago, CDNN, a wholesale firm in Abilene, Texas sold off the Remington remnants in 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag at about $500 per complete rifle, a testament to their real worth and the small demand for them.

Although some are used for custom rifles today, a real Mauser fan planning to build a fairly expensive custom rifle on a 98 Mauser action today will seek out a Brevex or a commercial FN action or even a good military action like the FN military, CZ-24, or the '09 Argentine action before using a Mark X to build on due to quality differences. In the classic Mauser custom rifle world, a good commercial FN action or similar is a Cadillac, and the Mark X is a Chevy Nova in comparison.

What he said!!!

Originally Posted By: Winny FanThe Yugoslav Zvastava action is what has been imported into the US on and off since the ~1960's-1970's era. Originally they came in as imported rifles and as actions and barreled actions sold by Interarms in Alexandria, VA.

The Remmy imports were the model's 798/799 and like everything else Remington does these were done on a corner-cutting, bean-counting basis, very poor stocks and yes cheap finish work. I do take exception to your last paragraph, there are a lot of top end customs done on this action. Go price an Interarms Mark x Whitworth in original condition, they run around $1,000 and are more Cadillac than Nova.

I apologize in advance, but a top end custom Mauser rifle like I was describing is far far from a $1K rifle.

Granted, the Whitworths are and were at the top of the Mark X food chain in terms of Mauser action factory rifles built on the Mark X action. But, in today's world they lack a lot in comparison to a full custom Brevex or a fully modified FN for example that will have custom bottom metal in the white and before engraving, etc. that costs considerably more than a Whitworth rifle in full bloom with its factory "they all look alike" bottom metal, for example.

In reality, the Mauser of any sort is falling behind in custom rifle builds very quickly these days to more modern action designs. It's been going on for probably the past 15 years or so, and as the supply of good Mausers dries up, so too will the number of new customs built on a Mauser action.

Agan, a Mark X, even in a Whitworth rifle, of which I own several excellent examples, are still a Nova in a world where true Cadillacs do exist. Again......The price differences between them are considerably and perhaps mind blowing for some people. But that is reality.

Commercial FN's are kinda hit and miss or price some can be picked up really cheap then there are the sellers that really know what they have.

I have been shooting an Mark X Mini-Mauser / B&C stock for about a year in 223rem, Great rifle. Mine is an old Yogo early Interarms import. Great trigger 2 1/2 pounds. I am looking for one in the AK round. It will be a nice deer rifle. I am using a two piece mount. I had to shim the back base 0.016 to line them up. They give these rifles a nice polish before they are blued.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanI apologize in advance, but a top end custom Mauser rifle like I was describing is far far from a $1K rifle.

Granted, the Whitworths are and were at the top of the Mark X food chain in terms of Mauser action factory rifles built on the Mark X action. But, in today's world they lack a lot in comparison to a full custom Brevex or a fully modified FN for example that will have custom bottom metal in the white and before engraving, etc. that costs considerably more than a Whitworth rifle in full bloom with its factory "they all look alike" bottom metal, for example.

In reality, the Mauser of any sort is falling behind in custom rifle builds very quickly these days to more modern action designs. It's been going on for probably the past 15 years or so, and as the supply of good Mausers dries up, so too will the number of new customs built on a Mauser action.

Agan, a Mark X, even in a Whitworth rifle, of which I own several excellent examples, are still a Nova in a world where true Cadillacs do exist. Again......The price differences between them are considerably and perhaps mind blowing for some people. But that is reality.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Comparing an out of the box Whitworth to a custom Mauser or "fully modified FN". Now show me a factory out of the box rifle made today in the $1,000 price range that is anywhere the quality of a Whitworth, it doesn't exist. And yes I have a few custom Mausers including a pair of 404 Jeffery's that you couln't touch for $5,000 a piece. But that's not what the OP asked. Mark x actions are a great solid action, especially considering the price you can find them for. Are they the best for a light weight sheep gun, no, but the OP didn't specify what kind of build he's thinking of.

Originally Posted By: filmitOriginally Posted By: Winny FanI apologize in advance, but a top end custom Mauser rifle like I was describing is far far from a $1K rifle.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Comparing an out of the box Whitworth to a custom Mauser or "fully modified FN". Now show me a factory out of the box rifle made today in the $1,000 price range that is anywhere the quality of a Whitworth, it doesn't exist. And yes I have a few custom Mausers including a pair of 404 Jeffery's that you couldn't touch for $5,000 a piece. But that's not what the OP asked. Mark x actions are a great solid action, especially considering the price you can find them for. Are they the best for a light weight sheep gun, no, but the OP didn't specify what kind of build he's thinking of.

IIRC, you are the one who started the apples to oranges comparison using the Whitworth rifles because you didn't like my Cadillac to Nova comment. All I said along those lines is that for a full custom Mauser that I'm talking about that, and since you tossed out dollars, your $5k price wouldn't buy the stock let alone a highly customized action and barrel and bottom metal to go with it. Think $20K+ to whatever your heart desires and your check book allows. In that debate, your Whitworth orange becomes a wrinkled apple very quickly.

All my original comments were about is the fact that the quality of the Mark X actions has varied over the years. I never said they are junk, just look for a good one if that is the route you're going. And then came the Whitworth comment which is your opinion. Fine and good. But it's probably not everyone's opinion.

Since you mentioned this too, and since I've actually done it, I'd hope I could find a much better platform to build a light-weight sheep rifle on than a heavy Mauser action of any make.

And please enjoy your Whitworths. I like mine too, but they are nothing special in the entire realm of things built on a Mauser action or any other action for that matter. Not even close. Kinda' like a Cadillac and a Nova. You might enjoy this link. Just don't offer anyone $5k for anything you see here or offer a dozen Whitworths in trade. You might get some strange looks.

http://www.acgg.org/

Here's a link to the work of an ACGG member. Notice he passed on Mark X actions for well built military actions complete with stripper clip thumb slots for the most part. Maybe he hasn't heard of a Mark X or a Whitworth. Or maybe he knows what works best for building a full custom rifle from. Knowing his reputation and his work, I'd guess its the latter.

http://www.customgunmaker.com/examples.html

Enjoy your weekend. Maybe next week we can debate how many fairies can fit on the head of a pin. You go first again.

Back