Mossberg 4x4 bolt action 22-250..Experience or opinions on their rifles?

ksmitty

I'm looking to possibly pick up a 22-250 and saw Mossberg now has this caliber in their 4x4 bolt action model. I've had a couple Mossberg shotguns that I've liked, but I don't know too much about there rifles. Anyone have any suggestions about Mossberg rifles?

the mossber uses button rifles berrals. I have a 243 in the atr. the action is kind of sloppy and im going to buy a boyds stock for it as the stock is pretty flemsly too. I only paid 300 for a scoped combo brand new. cant really beat the price. and its pretty accurate.

so if your just looking for a budget rifle and not demanding sub moa accuracy. then yea i would say go for it. Im not saying you cant get it to be sub moa.but it would need a little work. and probably a custom load.

I think 300magman bought one in 25-06, and from what I remember of his post, he really likes it. I know he has put down a number of dogs with it so far.

I have the 4x4 in 25/06 and absolutely love this gun. For a budget rifle, the fit, finish and great accuracy are far better than any other "cheap" rifle I have shot. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Mossberg guarantees sub moa accuracy with the 4x4 line of rifles. I know mine shoots 3 different factory loads sub moa consistently.

I don't have any experience with the newer models but I bought a .243 back in the early '80's. I tried numerous factory loads and a bunch of handloads, the groups looked like someone shot buckshot with a cylinder choke at 100 yards. Biggest POS of a firearm I have ever owned.

I hope I'm not too late with my post but if you havent picked up a 22-250 yet, GO WITH THE MOSSBERG 4x4!! I got mine back in February and I could not be happier with my decision. I was in the market for an economical (affordable) 22-250 a few months back. Something not too nice because it was going to be my throw around coyote gun. Looked at savage and marlin to start. I have a savage in a 17hmr so was really wanting to stick with savage but the edge is just junk IMHO. Didn't like the feel of the stock, action, or the feel of the rifle up in the shoulder. Then I found a marlin x7vh in a 22-250. heavy 26" barrel is really the only thing it had going for it. Problem was nobody could get it because it is "fairly new" as I was told by 6 different gun shops. just when I thought I was going to have to spend $600+ on a coyote rifle, I stumbled upon the mossberg 4x4. Not a pretty rifle, but neat looking none the less. The selling point was all the bells and wistles. Muzzle break (which on a 22-250 just looks cool, does make it major loud though), fluted barrel( works awesome, cools VERY quickly), adjustable LBA trigger (not as crisp as savage accutrigger, but still adjustable, clean and crisp) and none of the others, in the price range, had a nice tight 1:10 twist. The removable magazine is plastic like the others, but is a far better design than the savage edge. It actually has a metal spring that works the release and is not just a piece of plastic that makes a clip like the edge. The others had a 1:12 and 1:14. I picked up my 22-250 for $368. I have the synthetic skeleton stock on mine just because its my though field coyote rifle as I said, nothing fancy. As far as shooting goes, It puts 3 rounds under a dime at 100yrds (cheap walmart winchester bulk ammo). I am in the process of working up a tac driving reload combo for it. Has far more perks than the other rifles in the price range. I mounted a walmart centerpoint scope on it and have been pushing the 4x4 to anyone I talk to ever since. Just took it prairie dog shootin and 300 yrd prairie dogs were no issue. Any other questions, let me know man. You won't be sorry.

No personal experience but read on the net about a couple of Mossberg bolt rifles firing without the bolt lugs locked properly. This was caused by the the bolt handle losing its index position through slipping or failure of the bolt handle/bolt body junction. If this was a problem it has probably been addressed by Mossberg I would hope. TTT

CJ... you made a pretty good post for your first one... welcome aboard.... I too like that rifle...even though I don't own one yet... started too a few times... may do it yet....

Thanks Danbrother. Again, I say go pick one up!! ha ha ha. A friend of mine has one in a 30-06 with the walnut stock. Im hoping to go out and shoot it with him and see what I think of the 4x4 in a larger caliber. Im going to assume it'll be just as impressive. Ya Tn, from what I understand the bolt issue was with the older models and the issue was really few and far between. But being a safety issue, it was turned into a big deal. I have read that the problem was fixed and there have been no reports since.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnNo personal experience but read on the net about a couple of Mossberg bolt rifles firing without the bolt lugs locked properly. This was caused by the the bolt handle losing its index position through slipping or failure of the bolt handle/bolt body junction. If this was a problem it has probably been addressed by Mossberg I would hope. TTT

The jury determined that the rifle in question had been taken apart by a drunk and put back together improperly. So it was definitely operator error.

They call it the 4x4 because it feels like a 4x4 piece of wood when you put it up to your shoulder. Save your money up, buy a decent rifle and you'll only cry once. I don't understand how people say a rifle was such a good deal and then talk about all the things they need to do to it. Aftermarket stocks and triggers add up. Then when all is said and done you still have no resale value compared to buying a decent rifle in the first place.

Last edited:
filmit, I haven't done anything to mine and its a tac driver out of box. I put a scope on it, but you have to do that just to shoot it. I would hope all rifles without iron sights were that same way. (sarcasm) Put a bipod on it, but I would have done that no matter what make or model the rifle is. Im working up reloads for it to see what load groups the best,but I do that for my browning 300 win mag and ALL my rifles in between. Saves a crap ton of money on rounds too. I can shoot my 22-250 for the price of a decent .223 round. My only complaint about the rifle is the muzzle break, and that comes off and can be replace with a thread saver. Now if your lookin for a fancy schmancy finish and high gloss beautiful wood grain rifle, better look somewhere else. But for an affordable good shooting rifle under the $400 price range, its really nice. Most people who complain about them have never even handled one let alone shot one. Like I said, prairie dogs at 300yrds without even trying, and 3 round groups under a dime at 100yrds. If you want better than that, ya, you better save your money. The only tears Ive shed over my mossberg 4x4 have been tears of joy.

Last edited:
Over the past two years we have replaced broken extractors on a half a dozen 4x4's. 1 - 243, the rest 30-06. They have not been really good or friendly about getting us the repair parts either. I'm not selling them off the shelf in the shop anymore because of it.

-John

I was a mossberg dealer at one time. I even stocked some 4x4's when they first came out. They were dogs and I had to practically give them away.

I bought a new 835 when they first came out back in '90 or '91. My buddies all got them too, this was when the 3.5" 12 gauge was fairly new for waterfowl. Every one of my buddies guns had to be sent back because they wouldn't feed properly. I was the lucky one, the only thing wrong with mine was the vented rib broke off the barrel.

I got tired of sending back broken shotguns. The final straw was a new pump .410 that was defective from the factory, took over 9 months to get a return authorization from Mossberg to send it back. Good luck with your Mossbergs, burn me once shame on you, do it twice, shame on me, personally I'm done with them.

Now I do admit I have heard that mossberg sucks to deal with. Their people are rude and parts and what not are impossible to get a hold of. Havent had to deal with that myself (and hope to never have to). I stick to remington for my shotguns. This mossberg 4x4 is the first mossberg, I have ever bought other than a pint size plinkster 22 i bought for my son. Which I also suggest for a beginner youth 22. Im just sayin the 4x4 is a nice shooter out of the box and compared to the savage edge, and hard to get a hold of marlin x7vh, its more bang for your buck. I love savage, but that edge is crap. I like the 4x4's twist rate, magazine design, fluted barrel, adjustable trigger and the muzzle break adds a nice look. but like I said, kind of useless on a 22-250. Now I cant comment on the 4x4 in the larger calibers, I just know so far my experience with the 22-250 mossberg has been nothing but awesome.

Last edited:
Hey gunhaus, are you talking about the extractor claw on the bolt itself? And did they break or did the people loose the parts by sliding the the mechanism off the ball and spring that keeps the assembly together. I pushed mine to the edge and it slipped off the ball and spring that kept it in place and the ball went flying. Luckily, I saw where it landed. lol. Hope that makes sense.

I've only seen the 4x4s at auctions, the skeleton stock looked decent from where I sat. Other than that only had my hands on the atr and shotguns, neither of which I cared for.

Back