2 3/4" steel goose loads

jetman

I loaded some 2 3/4" steel goose loads today. I have an older Remington autoloader that I like to shoot from time to time. I've shot many #2 2 3/4 factory steel duck loads through her but would like to use it over decoys and some pass shooting for geese. SO I found a load ,it ONLY shoots 2 3/4 shells and they have to be upper end shells to get the poor old gal to feed right.What I came up with IS :2 3/4 Rio Pre primed hull, 2 3/4 " multi Metal wad ( trimmed 1/16" ) 33 gt "Steel" powder 1 oz ( 55 #2's and 32# BB ) steel. I rolled the crimp with a clear plastic over shot disk. It's supposed to be going around 1350 fps. They look good but I haven't gone out and tried them yet. The gun has a full choke barrel Am I going to bulge it out? Like I said I have shot 100's #2's with out a problem.

I asked remington about shooting steel through a 1972 20 gauge 1100, they gave me one of those pre-typed replies that they send out to every question like mine with a big list of "possible answers". One said #2 shot maximum through 12ga full fixed barrel. #2 maximum through any 20 gauge barrel. And gave a clear warning that shooting steel through a remington barrel that is not marked "steel ok" will score open the choked section of the gun over time, causing it to shoot wider and more erratic patterns.

For your load though, I have never had good luck with duplexing. They always consisted with blown patterns past 30 yards.

If you are shooting lessers (those little 3-5lb geese), then #2 shot should be plenty going about 1450-1500fps.

If you are shooting regular canadas (8-10lb) then I would step it up to #1, I know remington said not to do so but I dont think one size difference would kill the gun. However, I would not shoot #BB through it.

If you are shooting giant canadas (10-15lb), then I would suggest you go to another non-tox, such as hevi-shot or tungsten. If you are planning on close up shots (20-30 yards) then shoot the #1's and you will be golden. If you are expecting shots beyond that, forget steel in the 2.75 hull.

For snows/specks I have no clue, never hunted them.

I know what its like to want to use an old remington, there is just something about them that makes them a killing machine. I plan to shoot some ducks with the old 20ga 1100 2.75" this year, but its going to be a challenge.

Good luck hunting this year!

I shot hundreds of steel(2's & 1's) shells through my old 870 30" full choke and never noticed anything. I did how ever have it opened up (mod) when I started pass shooting the giants with BBB's & T's. Does'nt cost much and took away the worry.

Along that line, you may want to look into choking the gun. It will cost about $50 to open up the bore if you want to shoot bigger loads, as atd did. But you could get the barrel threaded for screw in chokes for less than $100.

Back