SW montana Gopher Shoot

pcammo

Our first gopher shoot of the year was fantastic. Three of us averaged 1 shot/min for seven hours straight. Closest shot was eight feet and the longest verified kill was 459 yards. We could have shot much further but there were soooooo many targets closer. The 65gr. V-Max from the 6x45 always provides for plenty of air time and "blowing chunks" as my daughter puts it. The baby rats are out and will completely vanish when my daughter connects with the 40gr. V-Max. We did not relocate during the shoot; there were rats every where, including under the car.
gopher1.jpg

gopher2.jpg

gopher3.jpg

Originally Posted By: wahoowadBeautiful scenery! I hope to get out there one day.

I agree!! Would love to do a rat shoot.

Dave

Sounds like a lot of fun. What kind of shooting table is that in the bottom pic (with gun lying in rest)? I'm getting ready for a pd trip to South Dakota.

Originally Posted By: nr123Sounds like a lot of fun. What kind of shooting table is that in the bottom pic (with gun lying in rest)? I'm getting ready for a pd trip to South Dakota.

It belongs to my hunting buddy, I will have to ask him. I know that he bought it at a gun show in Helena, MT last year. It is manufactured by a fella in Wyoming but I can't remember his name.
John

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLooks like fun !

... When does the grass in MT get green ?
Thanks

Plenty of areas are already green. It should green-up around here in a couple weeks. There are still a few frozen spots where the big drifts were. Looks like you guys are going to have plenty of trigger time in OR.
John

Frozen !! Didn't see much of that this winter. Crazy thing is, we had 2 weeks of 80-90* temps in mid March. Now it's late April and it's only 40-55* now.
crazy.gif

We tried to return to the same field over the weekend. We managed to fire about a hundred rounds between the three of us. The wind was sustained at 25+ with some gusts reading near 40mph. Then came the thunder snow.......
TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS3.jpg

TS4.jpg

This Saturdays shoot was awesome!!!! It is rare in Montana to have a day with absolutely calm wind. We fired the first shot at 9:30am at 41 degrees and fired the last shot at 7:10pm at 57 degrees. It was a blue bird clear beautiful day. Our three day total on this 100 acre pivot is 1500-1600 witnessed.
gopher4.jpg

gopher5.jpg

gopher6.jpg

No quarter was given!

Back