New RRA Lar-8 is super accurate.

Daze

Just got my new 26" heavy-barreled Lar-8. Took about 4.5 months to get here. Shot a 5 shot group at 50 yards at .158" with 168 smk's, lapua brass and 44.9 grains of Varget. I would say I have my load except for one of the primers was pushed out indicating high pressure.

Today I shot a 100 yard 5 shot group with 175 smk's and 43.7 grains of Varget at .422". I did single round load them but they were only 1.80 oal so they would fit in the mag. For testing new loads I theorize that this will maximize accuracy. I haven't had any malfunctions.

These loads are hotter than the Hornady manual recommends for .308 and quite a bit higher than their .308 service rifle max loads.

Anybody have any great loads for this rifle?

I do feel recoil with this rifle. Would it help much to buy a wedge weight to put in the A2 buttstock?

Hornady 168gr Amax 41.7gr AR-Comp 2.80 COL

Using LC 1-Fired Brass with normalized primer pockets, deburred flash holes and trimmed to 2.050, I got these four groups using four different primers. (It was mainly a primer test).
1zmmk4w.jpg

All shot round robin ala OCW.

Not sure the cause of the two distinct groups using GM210M. After unfolding the holes, the CCI 200 group measured .29 MOA using OnTarget software. That was from a new Predator HP with 20" barrel after only a 30 shot "shoot-n-clean" break-in using LC XM80.

John "Hoot" Hill

Edit: I forgot to say that I use a light Lee FCD crimp, given it's an autoloading rifle.

Originally Posted By: DazeJust got my new 26" heavy-barreled Lar-8. Took about 4.5 months to get here. Shot a 5 shot group at 50 yards at .158" with 168 smk's, lapua brass and 44.9 grains of Varget. I would say I have my load except for one of the primers was pushed out indicating high pressure.

Today I shot a 100 yard 5 shot group with 175 smk's and 43.7 grains of Varget at .422". I did single round load them but they were only 1.80 oal so they would fit in the mag. For testing new loads I theorize that this will maximize accuracy. I haven't had any malfunctions.

These loads are hotter than the Hornady manual recommends for .308 and quite a bit higher than their .308 service rifle max loads.

Anybody have any great loads for this rifle?

I do feel recoil with this rifle. Would it help much to buy a wedge weight to put in the A2 buttstock?

I have the same rifle. I think the thing weighs enough without adding weight to the buttstock. If it don't weigh enough for you now, it never will.

I got a few sub 1/2" 5 shot groups w/mine too. Pretty much standard for RR it seems. I ended up taking mine to Gemtech to have them cut it down to 20" and thread it for a suppressor. Not too sure how much lighter it is now once the suppressor is on, but at least it isn't a mile long with my suppressor on it.

Have you looked at your Amax's in the mag after firing several rounds. I just tried the 178's and the plastic tips were bunged up and did not shoot very accurately.

For the record I bought the butt stock weight. Its heavy and awkward to carry but it sure does feel soft on the shoulder now.

This LAR-8 is amazing. I'm testing Varget at various loadings to see what's most accurate with 168 and 175 smk's. I thought it was favoring the 175's with 42 gr of varget. Shot 5 of these into .496 yesterday at 100 yards yesterday. Today, however I shot 5 168's with 41 gr of varget into .304". And ther was some wind. Using Lapua brass and CCI primers. I think I found my load. Using Harris bipod.

Another thing I did that I think has improved my shooting: I removed the rear sling attachment and got a 6mm fine thread nut with built-in washer to replace it. This gets it out of the way of my rear bags.

Glad to see you are having good luck with yours. My coyote rifle does not shoot well....even after sending it back for them to look at. Certainly not the 3/4" they advertised.

When I first got my Lar-8 I bought some Winchester hunting ammo at Walmart and it shot 2.5 inch groups. I can't hardly find a bad load with varget and 168 or 175 smk's. I also have a heavy varmint. In .223 Both of these barrels are made by Wilson. Not sure who makes the coyote barrels. The .223 shoots very accurately. I consider a .75" group to be disappointing with it.

I don't want oversell the LAR-8. I don't like the way the mag fits. It's too loosey goosey. I'm going to call RRA and see if they can replace the mag or something. I have to push the front of the mag up before I release the bolt to make the first round go in without malfunction. It usually cycles okay but certainly too many malfunctions to use in combat.

just so you know it wasn't a fluke I went out with the same load today. There was wind. My best 5-shot was .286" and my 2nd best was .354".

Originally Posted By: DazeI don't want oversell the LAR-8. I don't like the way the mag fits. It's too loosey goosey. I'm going to call RRA and see if they can replace the mag or something. I have to push the front of the mag up before I release the bolt to make the first round go in without malfunction. It usually cycles okay but certainly too many malfunctions to use in combat.

That certainly sounds like a mag problem. The website says it can use metric/Inch FAL mags, I have two FAL's, both of which feed perfectly, but they have metric receivers.

The reason the mags fit so loosely is the recess that the mag catch tab locks into. An Inch magazine has a really huge mag tab compared to the metric which is just a tit really. Try to locate an Inch magazine at a gunshop or buy one off the marketplace at FALfiles.com. I would bet money you were shipped a metric magazine when the mag recess is cut for the Inch magazines.

Last edited:
When you post group size like that, you are selling the rifle...to me. I have been looking at them and am trying to decide on 20" or 26". A 26" with a suppressor would be really long, but very quiet.
smile.gif

Back