Need a place to go squirrel hunting

Dorado

Well, I lost my hunting land a couple of weeks ago. The old man that owned it died and left it to his worthless nephew. The nephew has already sold it, and now I believe that he's on his way to the nearest crack house. And that leaves me sore outta luck, so I was wondering if any of you know of a place I can go squirrel and small game hunting. I'm needing a place near Wichita Falls, Tx. I have been looking into hunting on public land but I've never hunted public land and I'm not sure of the rules and regulations of it. If anyone's willing to teach me I'd be willing toss in a case of beer for after the hunt.

The rules and regulations of public land hunting are the same laws you have to follow for private. Follow firearm rules and bag limit rules, and hunter orange if they make you in TX.

I never could get a straight answer on that. I've talked to a couple of game wardens about it but they kept beating around the bush. I just think they didn't know. Well Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find a place to go.

Just be careful and make smart ethical decisions and follow every rule that is in your state hunting and trapping guide. If you follow the rules in that booklet you should be just fine.

I always do. I just didn't know if there were any different rules for public land vs private land. I'll have to give it a go sometime soon. The way this weeks going it may be sooner than later.

I may have found a place. The nearest public land I could find is Lake Ray Roberts. I may take a look and see what I can find out there.

So, you only had one spot, previously that you were doing all your hunting on?
confused.gif

How many acres was it?
confused.gif

No, I don't live in TX, but, I have to ask...have you tried just knocking on farmer's doors & asking for permision to hunt?
While I've had plenty of landowners, here, refuse to let me hunt birds, deer or coyotes...I've never had anyone refuse to let me hunt rabbits & squirrels. And I started hunting almost 40 years ago.
Granted, in your area, you may have to knock on a lot more doors than I did. But in the long run, it might be to your benefit.
Besides, unlike "public" lands, you might be the only fella that's hunting on the property.

Originally Posted By: DoradoI never could get a straight answer on that. I've talked to a couple of game wardens about it but they kept beating around the bush. I just think they didn't know. Well Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find a place to go.
As for the quote above...if a game warden doesn't know the rules, then he ain't much of a game warden, IMO.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54So, you only had one spot, previously that you were doing all your hunting on?
confused.gif

How many acres was it?
confused.gif

No, I don't live in TX, but, I have to ask...have you tried just knocking on farmer's doors & asking for permision to hunt?

As for the quote above...if a game warden doesn't know the rules, then he ain't much of a game warden, IMO.

I've tried. But the problem is that a lot of the ranchers and farmers have realized that people are willing to pay big bucks to hunt hog and deer, and they don't let anyone onto their property without charging an arm and a leg. Last one I talked to charged $1000 a season per person, no guests, no camping overnight. Around here people with land are either leasing it out or are trapping hog, either way they don't want people out there scaring the hog away.

My last place was about 3500 acres with about 400 acres of maize and corn. The old man that owned it didn't charge me, he just wanted me to bring him some of what I shot. Even if he didn't charge anybody I still never saw anyone else hunting out there. He loved hunting but couldn't due to his health. He'd let me go hunting, fishing, camping, whatever I wanted so long as I brought him a couple of hog, part of a deer, or some of my birds. But he'd be sure to be there to hassle me if I wasn't successful. lol. I'm going to miss him.

As for the game wardens around here. We have very few good ones, we do have some but not many. My last encounter was with one poaching the fish off of my trot line. I confronted him about it and his response was "prove it". So, I have little respect for them. Never had a problem with wardens anywhere else, many have been very helpful to me, just not the ones here.

Last edited:
Bad thing about Texas public land is over hunted. Texas is over 95% private land. So the small amount of public gets used and abused. Texas trophy hunters and tpw have ruined Texas hunting. 30 year resident and overall hunting in Texas has been weakened. Funny thing is now that all the money to high fence, feed etc does not return as much money as people think. Truley an endless money pit.

Last edited:
Irrigator's right. Unless you're willing to spend a lot to hunt you're stuck with heavily hunted land. But I'm assuming that since I'm not deer or hog hunting I'd be a bit more successful.
The only problem is that I was planning to head out this weekend but there's a high probability of storms, and around here you can never trust a storm. It may be innocent looking one minute then the next be throwing tornadoes at you. So, I'm going to just do a bit more target practice and get more familiar with my rifle before I head out.

Back