17 fireball loads

Originally Posted By: kyle`c.nagel bullets arrived. these are very nice. he is a top notch guy..

Wait till you put them on paper and then in a Coyote.
thumbup1.gif

model seven 17 fireball
hs precision stock bedded with devcon at home
shilen trigger at 2.5lbs
talley light weight rings with leupold vx3 2.5-8
today was the first day that ive had the chance to shoot this little dream. i had
20g vmaxes and 25g t-000 nagels to try, and only tried imr8208 powder. all bullets were seated within .002 of the lands. im a still a little confused on velocity spreads. this is the best of the nagel today. 25g t-000, 17.5g imr8208 seated at 1.510. shot a .540 three shot group at 100yds. chrono malfunction so i have no velocities.
Photo0217.jpg

this is the best of the v-max. 20g v-max, 18.7g imr8208 seated at 1.510. shot a .280 three shot at 100yds. velocities were 3552, 3576, and 3528. with a spead of 48fps.
Photo0218.jpg

where's all the model sevn hater's now.

I just finished working up a new load for a .17 fireball out of a cooper rifle. I shot the Nagel TGV-046's and the V-046's in both 20 and 25 grains. The difference between his tgv and the v bullets didn't matter in terms of accuracy. My rifle likes these bullets a little further away from the lands. This is a p-dog rifle so I went with the lighter 20 grain V-046 and 8208. The best load ended up to be .020 off of the lands. Most accurate bullets shot in this rifle to date.

wyoman-
what powder did you end up using? i just went to town and picked up a pound of ramshot x=terminator. i was hoping that velocities would be a tad higher than i got with imr8208. so i took another guys recomendation of this x-terminator powder. if all else fails i'll take accuracy overy velocity.

kyle

I have been using XTerminator in my 17 FB with the 25gr hornady and the velocity from my 20 inch barreled model 7 have been running around 3600fps with a load of 19.0 gr.
I bumped my charge to 19.2 and loaded some Nagel 25gr today and they shot quite well. Here is the target from today with one sighter then moved up and right and so far looks good. Did not chronograph.

IMG_1412.jpg

Follow-up. Loaded some 25gr Hornady HP's just to see if they would shoot good with this load. Shot very good especially considering it's a 3-9 scope too.

IMG_0869.jpg

Last edited:
Kyle, I ended up going with the imr 8208 xbr. The more I shoot that powder the more I like it. It gives me the most accurate groups in my .17 fireball and my d-tec .223. It is now the first powder I grab when building loads. I am going to try some Ramshot Tac as they are close to the same burn rate just because.

Back