can you eat a boar hog ?

old folks

killed a 200 + boar hog in hay field. have heard that boars are good to eat. if they are tell me how to butcher and cook. it did make yote bait. i drug it to back of field. next day about 7 pm got two yotes one 50 yds broard side with 270. about 5 m later another circled wide about 150. first shot made him do circle dance next shot lights out. one 35 lbs other 38.

Yes they do make good eats. We raised hogs when I was younger. Dad shot them in the head with a .22 lr. Had a 55 gallon of boiling water. Dipped the whole hog in water for a few minutes. This is to loosen the hair. Removed from hot water then scraped with a knife. Gutted, then cut-up like any ol'critter. Cut the back loins off, starting from the side of the back bone cut down the backbone just ahead of the rear hips then a horizontal cut about 4 inches wide. Do this on the top of the loin also. Then, re-peat for the other side. I know there are a lot of different ways to butcher a hog. But good luck You can also skin the hog after dipping if you like. Then you can make homemade porkrhines. Cut in strips whatever width you like. Thats a heart attack waitin to happen but still good eats for sure.

I'm assuming you're talking wild boar? If so, you're probably better off baitin yotes with that one!

You can try this method... http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1230262

No promises!! Wild hog, you get over a hundred pounds on a boar and it gets pretty iffy. If you attempt it, try and find Guess' wild pork taco recipe or something similar with lots of seasoning and spices to cover any gamey flavor. And, you might want to cook it outside.

You can eat anything that you can cook. The question is...is it worth it? I've butchered 7-8 wild hogs over the years, most being small feeder size, others being young sows. All tasted like crap and smelled like urine when the fat cooked. I'll never cut one up again.

Tony

We kill 100+ hogs a year, and process all of them. You need to size up the each hog individually. There are 125 pound boars that are sausage and salami grinders only, and there are 200+ pound boars that we cut into steaks and use the hams for prociutto.

Done right, wild hog is excellent. We do the following with our meat just to name a few...

Grind into breakfast/italian sausage (both casings and patti)
Dry cured salami
Wet smoked salami
Kielbasa
Prociutto
Corned pork
Pulled pork
Smoked whole hog (every superbowl and 4th of July)
Smoked ham
Dry sugar cured ham
Steaks and chops

Don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. Don't shoot it in the guts, clean it fast and don't spill any poo. cut it into 6 pieces and get 2 ice chest. Flood ice chests with hose till water runs clear. Layer ice and meat. Sprinkle a layer of salt across the top, about 1/2 cup per ice chest or 1 cup if you have a huge chest, maybe a little more you really can't do too much salt. Then some white vineager 1/2 cup per ice chest and do not over do it. Top the chest off with water until all meat is covered. Let that sit 48 hours and shake it often to mix it up.

Pour off the liquid and again rinse the meat. Take it to a butcher and have it processed for about 100 bucks.

I just finished up dinner, baked zeti made with Spicy Italian boar sausage.

When the butcher gives it back toss the ribs in the garbage they taste nasty and have almost no meat. The rest is super tasty. Always trim all the fat you can off it, that is the part that taste like game. Do not over cook because it is very lean and cooks faster then pork from the store.

The one I'm working on now was a 150lb sow. Shot it in the spring so feeding on a lot of tender greens. In general they are good up to 200 but less then 150 usually the best.

many factors change flavor. what they eat, time of year, lactating, pregnant, how much they roam in search of food.

I notice all you guys are back east maybe they eat something gross out there.

Can't believe you used it for bait, what a waste of delicious meat! No matter what they all make good sausage. The chops from this one are fantastic!

The boars are just as good as sow. Usually they only shoot boars on the property. This sow was an accident, we glassed it first and thought it was male. THis was my first hog I killed but i've eaten my friends boars many times and it taste the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. Don't shoot it in the guts, clean it fast and don't spill any poo. cut it into 6 pieces and get 2 ice chest. Flood ice chests with hose till water runs clear. Layer ice and meat. Sprinkle a layer of salt across the top, about 1/2 cup per ice chest or 1 cup if you have a huge chest, maybe a little more you really can't do too much salt. Then some white vineager 1/2 cup per ice chest and do not over do it. Top the chest off with water until all meat is covered. Let that sit 48 hours and shake it often to mix it up.

Pour off the liquid and again rinse the meat. Take it to a butcher and have it processed for about 100 bucks.

Then, eat the ice chest.

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. Don't shoot it in the guts, clean it fast and don't spill any poo. cut it into 6 pieces and get 2 ice chest. Flood ice chests with hose till water runs clear. Layer ice and meat. Sprinkle a layer of salt across the top, about 1/2 cup per ice chest or 1 cup if you have a huge chest, maybe a little more you really can't do too much salt. Then some white vineager 1/2 cup per ice chest and do not over do it. Top the chest off with water until all meat is covered. Let that sit 48 hours and shake it often to mix it up.

Then, eat the ice chest.

Now that's funny!
lol.gif
(Eating the ice chest!)

Last edited:
Years ago, a bunch of us went on a pig hunt (archery only). I killed a boar that went really close to 300 lbs. Extremely bad attitude and was not happy with the fact he was being chased. This particular hunt was with dogs. After wrecking two dogs pretty severly, I managed to get a killing shot on the hog. (He now adorns my wall.) As far as eating, it smelled like hair burning every time he was cooked. If cooked outside on the grill, it wasn't to bad. In the house, wifey got really P.O. with the smell. A few years later, I killed a couple of young sows, 120ish lbs. and they were pretty good.

Yes you can eat boar meat however I suggest you cook it outside cuz it stinks to high heaven cooking.

Tony I dont know what the heck you are doing to those hogs, but I suggest you give up cookin' cuz you suck at it.

wild hog meat is one of the best meats out there, we practically live off of it at our house.

I cut up my hogs as quick as I can and put them in an ice chest full of ice water. If it's not 100degrees outside I leave them in ice water for about 5 days. When you cook them do it slow and DO NOT LET the juice off of the fat scorch in the pan, if you do it will smell like pizz! Cook it slow, cook it done, cook it wet and it will be good. As for Boars if they are big I leave them for the coyotes. rule of thumb if they smell like a hog similar to light brown sugar they will cook up good. If they smell like you just pee'd on the camp fire don't waste your time. Sure you can eat them and sure they might even taste good, but your wife will never let you cook one in the house again.

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. Don't shoot it in the guts, clean it fast and don't spill any poo. cut it into 6 pieces and get 2 ice chest. Flood ice chests with hose till water runs clear. Layer ice and meat. Sprinkle a layer of salt across the top, about 1/2 cup per ice chest or 1 cup if you have a huge chest, maybe a little more you really can't do too much salt. Then some white vineager 1/2 cup per ice chest and do not over do it. Top the chest off with water until all meat is covered. Let that sit 48 hours and shake it often to mix it up.

Then, eat the ice chest.

lmao!!!!

Quote:rule of thumb if they smell like a hog similar to light brown sugar they will cook up good. If they smell like you just pee'd on the camp fire don't waste your time. Sure you can eat them and sure they might even taste good, but your wife will never let you cook one in the house again.

I'm trying to figure out where you find them hogs that smell like brown sugar Glen... Everyone I've ever encountered, domestic or wild, smelled like pigs hit!

I killed this little boar a couple of weeks ago. He was 105 pounds live weight, and dropped like a rock when shot. After it was boned out, I had about 33 pounds of meat and I made it into pan sausage. It tasted plenty good.

Smyrnahog4-12.jpg

There is a lot of waste weight on a hog. The head ,hide and feet of a hog will be almost half the dressed weight in some cases.

Hogs that are ran with dogs will have a lot of lactic acid build up (even sows) that will make them hard to eat. A big rutting stinky boar I do like Glenn and leave it for the coyotes.

It is just like any other game animal, once you get the chemicals pumping through a big animal by chasing it for a quarter mile at a flat run, it is GOING to be gamey! I am always amazed somehow when people don't realize that...

Trippledeuce is right about soaking a boar in ice salt water. Buddy of mine will soak a 300 pound hog up to 4 days. You can then cook it inside or out want smell at all. Ouse to leave them dead in their tracts but now I will get them to him and will always get some back. We live in hog country here. Rick

Like some said hogs not killed cleanly and I'll say by surprise can and mostly do stink and may not be good eating.Hogs run by dogs till hot and mad don't eat good mostly I think.If I want a eating hog I like to snipe them in the head and bleed them right then.That helps but they wont bleed if you don't get to them quick.Farm hogs are a lot the same way,and even beef is better if the animal does not get hot and mad before he is killed.

+++ On what tnshootist says about the stressed meat. Of course that goes for any kind of meat, but hogs especially.

Another MAJOR step with hogs is cleaning them quickly and carefully!

Also, TripleDeuce660 uses pretty much the same method I do with the meat in the ice chest and soaking it with salt. I will soak mine for 48-72 hours while checking it and allowing the melted water to run off once or twice a day depending on how fast it melts. Make sure that you keep plenty of ice in the chest and that the meat stays covered. Since I started doing this, the meat has no odor and my wife is now a believer in wild hog meat.

As far as the weight of the animal goes, I have my own personal limit of 150 lbs. for boars and I will go 200 lbs. on sows. That just seems to be a good limit to where the meat always cleans up good without any odor or foul taste.

I always slice the backstrap up and fry it and everything else is made into sausage.

Back