03-A3 Accuracy?

Kingzero

My grandfather gave me a Remington 03-A3 a couple years ago and it has sat in the back of the safe since then. I have been thinking of turning it into my deer/elk gun.

He bought it new from the US Armory back in the early 60's and had it "sporterized". One piece stock, drilled and tapped for a scope and sights removed. The only thing he didn't get to was having the bolt handle turned down. He had all that work done and never shot it.

After he gave it to me, I mounted a scope on high rings and put about 10-15 rounds of bulk military through it. From what I can remember it grouped pretty good, but it was a couple years ago and obviously wasn't a true test of accuracy.

So my question is.....

What kind of accuracy could I expect out of this rifle? Shots would be probably 250 yards max.

I did take it to a gunsmith to get it checked out and he said it was a very nice rifle, but does not have much value due to the "sporterizing". I know my grandfather would be pumped if I took an animal with his old rifle.

o3a32.jpg

o3a31.jpg

All depends on the bbl. and bedding. I have seen stock military A3s shoot 1.5 inch groups @ 100 yds. with good ammo
and the issue sights.

Even the 2 grove bbls. shoot better than most guys can hold except on sandbags.

Jim

Not alot of experience with one but I had a 03 rebarreld to 358 Norma that was very accurate. 148gr Double Ended Wadcutters would shoot 3 shots touching at 50 yrds and I used it for squirel hunting. 250gr RNs would stay under 2" at 100 yrds, it did tend to push you around alot and that was with a Weaver K-3.

I did have an 1899 Sav rebarreled with an 03 barrel in .300 Sav that would put 3 170gr Lee FN GC cast bullets in 2" at 200yrd on a regular basis. Never worked up any high power loads as 180gr Rem RNs worked good in the brush country I was hunting. I used the cast bullet loads for pelt hunting fox.

Nice looking rig

Last edited:
This is my deer hunting load for my 1903A3.

Hornady 150gr SP over IMR4895. Five shots at 100 yards, from a rest with original open sights.

1903a3_150grSP.jpg

1020071129.jpg

Originally Posted By: Steve_in_PAThis is my deer hunting load for my 1903A3.

Hornady 150gr SP over IMR4895. Five shots at 100 yards, from a rest with original open sights.

1903a3_150grSP.jpg

1020071129.jpg

I'd bet the load was 47 gr. 4895.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: JimOliverAll depends on the bbl. and bedding. I have seen stock military A3s shoot 1.5 inch groups @ 100 yds. with good ammo
and the issue sights.

Even the 2 grove bbls. shoot better than most guys can hold except on sandbags.

Jim

I'd think 1 1/2" to 2" would make me happy with that rifle.

Originally Posted By: Steve_in_PAYup, you are correct on the load. Same load I use in my M1 Garand, only with FMJ bullets.

That load duplicates M2 ball ammo as issued for the Garand. Same load behind 168 gr. SMK very close to M72 Match ballistically but out performs the M72 since the SMK is a more accurate bullet.

Regards,
hm

165gr bullet, H414 powder got 5/8" groups in my brothers 03A3 sporterized with peep sights, bedded action, 2 groove 1942 bbl., timney trigger. Wish I had kept it. It always shot 1" or less @ 100 yds off a rest.

Originally Posted By: 5spd165gr bullet, H414 powder got 5/8" groups in my brothers 03A3 sporterized with peep sights, bedded action, 2 groove 1942 bbl., timney trigger. Wish I had kept it. It always shot 1" or less @ 100 yds off a rest.

No warts on those 2 groove barrels. They can be every bit as accurate as the 4 grooves.

Regards,
hm

Have a nicely sporterized/scoped 1903a03 still with its military barrel. When I first began shooting it, rifle produced a 2 1/2" group at best, dispite trying numerous powder/bullet combinations in it. Rifle was just too nice not to shoot better. Decided to recrown the muzzle. First time I took rifle to range after recrown job, fired a 5 shot 100 yard group that was pretty good. Four of the holes in target were cloverleafed tightly. Last shot only one that didn't touch others, missed them by 1/4 inch. But basically, I expect a 3/4-1 inch 100 yd group with it. Not bad for an old military surplus rifle.

I have one with the original stock (full length) and a new barrel still in cosmolene. Havent shot her in years but she is quite accurate, now you have me thinking that next time I go to the range we might have to bring her along. Shot quite a few bucks with her years ago.

Steve,Really nice rifle and good shooting to.I would like to find a rifle like yours that nice I could afford.I hear they are getting real hard to find.Shooting the iron sights is fun.

Nice.As 03's are so hard to find around here I have been looking for a nice Enfield.Have not found one of those that was not beat to death.Good shooting with the irons.

Back