.38 spcl & 357 mag loads.

getfoxy

Guys, I'm in need of two loads for my new ( to me) 586.

I have been reading on various sites and everyone recommends something different.

First- a light 38 special target/small game load. I'm sure there re some here who have taken squirrels and the like with the 38 before. Is there a load out there that doesnt do much damage?

Second- a full power 357 mag load for deer. I plan to use it to take a Doe with during deer season this year.

So what are you guys using?

3.4 grains of Unique behind a 148 gr wadcutter are very accurate out of my Blackhawk. Good enough to hit bowling pins at 100 yards. They punch thru pdogs without much damage that I could tell.

38 Special: 3.5 grains of Bullseye, 158 gr. Hornady Semi-wadcutter, 865fps out of my 4" 686.

357 Mag: 18.0 grains of H-110, 140 gr Hornady XTP, 1390fps out of my 4" 686.

I just started loading for a 686 recently, for light 38 loads Trail Boss is a great powder, very bulky so you don't have to worry so much about double loads. My gun likes the 140gr Hornady cowboy bullets with Trail Boss.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessFull house 357 mag loads, with IMR-4227, or Lil' Gun, with Hornady 158gr XTP would be my choice.

+1

I use Lilgun in my 22Hornet and it works very well with the heavier bullets in 357mag loads. I use IMR4227 for the 125gr bullets in both 38Spl and 357Mag.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyGuys, I'm in need of two loads for my new ( to me) 586.

I have been reading on various sites and everyone recommends something different.

First- a light 38 special target/small game load. I'm sure there re some here who have taken squirrels and the like with the 38 before. Is there a load out there that doesnt do much damage?

Second- a full power 357 mag load for deer. I plan to use it to take a Doe with during deer season this year.

So what are you guys using?

Go here and look up what you want.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Whoa Willy you are giving away the fundelmentals of reloading. There are no short cuts as one must learn from experience and learning. Something O has never mastered.
Jim

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Ever hear of a reloading handbook go buy one.

I think he was looking for performance experience of certain loads.

Ie bullet types, construction, weights and terminal performance. That's a pretty arrogant comment. Especially since Gary does indeed have load books. Plus, there is a plethora of reliable published data available on the net from powder and bullet manufactures.

Yeah, boot leather never taste good...

Gary,

Look into some quality cast bullets for the 38 loads. At those speeds, you won't likely experience leading.

For deer, I would recommend a Speed Deep Curl. (old name of gold-dot uni-core). They are tough and very consistent bullets. I think 158 gr with a stiff push would be great for deer.

Just practice, practice, and practice some more. I use some of the deer X-ray targets for pistol practice. It will help with more practical placement over bullseye. I know you know where to place bullets on deer. Its just revolver shooting is a new world. It doesn't hurt to "practice like you play" so to speak.

I've settled on 2 loads for my Security Six.

First is 6.5 grs of Unique under a 158gr Berry's plated bullet. I don't know if I'd call it a light .357 or a hot .38sp but it works well.

Second is my deer load, 9.5grs of BlueDot under a 180gr XTP. Will go most of the way thru a Texas heart shot deer (for those in Texas, a rear end shot) although I highly recommend against such things.

CB

Originally Posted By: willy1947
Ever hear of a reloading handbook go buy one.

Wow, You are wealth of knowledge
How do we survive on this forum without your wisdom
glare.gif

I am also getting ready to start loading for my .38 and .357
I to wouldn't mind knowing of others loads that work for them, gives a better starting point than the thousands of loads listed in the books

I use 5 gr. of Ramshot Zip for 38 spl. and 17 gr. of Ramshot Enforcer for 357 mag....For bullets I use 125 gr. Win. hollow points.

I have hunted rabbits and squirrels for years with a 38/357. Never yet shot a deer (YET) with a 357 so I cant help much there.

Here is what I have found:

I have used SWC and remington HBWC (full wadcutter) on rabbits and I have better luck with the HBWC (loaded with 2.3 grain titegroup powder; i choose the min loads because they are quiet enough that you probably wont get your ears rung and they are still superbly accurate) The HBWC seemed to have a little better anchoring power than the SWC for me. The HBWC definately didn't do much meat damage at all, just a .38 cal hole with a little tiny extra ring of bruising around it.

I thought to myself if I just hit a rabbit practically anywhere with a .38 it would blow it over, you might be shocked, with a less than adequate shot placement they will still run or require a follow up.

Now a full power 125 hornady XTP......thats a different story
scared.gif

Back