O ring method under die lock rings

snake plisken1

Curious to know if anyone here actually practices this method of placing o rings under the lock rings of the sizing and/or seater dies in hopes of everything lining up. Floating the dies I guess is the reason. Thanks

I tried that once....Never again. Because, The die came loose. Didn't notice it til 150 rounds later when I remeasured the OAL. I trid...

Originally Posted By: snake plisken1Curious to know if anyone here actually practices this method of placing o rings under the lock rings of the sizing and/or seater dies in hopes of everything lining up. Floating the dies I guess is the reason. Thanks

You don't need to float the dies - the cases float and align them selves - that's why cases are loose in the shell holders.

Was this theory something from way back when, that some writer from a rifle mag started? As of late I picked up two books called precision reloading and the other called handloading for competition.This concept was brought up numerous times between the two books, and again, I am just curious. Having been reading a lot on here in the last year and come to realize there are a few benchrest shooters and others way more advanced than me on this site, and wanted to see this is a concept they practice.
There was that other tip I read about, the one about running the press ram up and placing a washer between shell holder and the sizing die(after the die has been adjusted for headspace). While applying this upward pressure the die lock ring is then tightened to the die. This is to square up the die to the shell holder. What about that one?

Originally Posted By: snake plisken1Was this theory something from way back when, that some writer from a rifle mag started? As of late I picked up two books called precision reloading and the other called handloading for competition.This concept was brought up numerous times between the two books, and again, I am just curious. Having been reading a lot on here in the last year and come to realize there are a few benchrest shooters and others way more advanced than me on this site, and wanted to see this is a concept they practice.
There was that other tip I read about, the one about running the press ram up and placing a washer between shell holder and the sizing die(after the die has been adjusted for headspace). While applying this upward pressure the die lock ring is then tightened to the die. This is to square up the die to the shell holder. What about that one?

All pure silliness.

The lock ring will draw the die up against the threads - there is nothing in the world that you can do to change that, except to re-cut the threads.

People make this stuff up all the time, cuz it "sounds" like it works that way - they write it and instantly, a 100,000 newbees gobble it up.

If you take a case and put in a shell holder and wobble it around, you will see that there is a lot of play - you don't need to be anal about the die - the case will find it's way to proper alignment.

The rest is pure garbage.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: snake plisken1Was this theory something from way back when, that some writer from a rifle mag started? As of late I picked up two books called precision reloading and the other called handloading for competition.This concept was brought up numerous times between the two books, and again, I am just curious. Having been reading a lot on here in the last year and come to realize there are a few benchrest shooters and others way more advanced than me on this site, and wanted to see this is a concept they practice.

All pure silliness.

The lock ring will draw the die up against the threads - there is nothing in the world that you can do to change that, except to re-cut the threads.

People make this stuff up all the time, cuz it "sounds" like it works that way - they write it and instantly, a 100,000 newbees gobble it up.

If you take a case and put in a shell holder and wobble it around, you will see that there is a lot of play - you don't need to be anal about the die - the case will find it's way to proper alignment.

The rest is pure garbage.

Isn't that how a Forster Co Ax press works? The die snaps in and has some play while the shellholder move wobbles and slides around so that everything lines up?

Originally Posted By: dirtdarteYa... what he said..... but the Co-Ax is the cats meow...you should know that catshooter....lol.

Naw...

I use a CH-Champion for my main press - a 30 pound beast that can crush a Co-ax...

Meow
wink.gif

I use an O ring under the decapping rod lock nut on RCBS sizing dies. If you notice when tightening the nut it has a tendancy to throw the decapping rod and expander ball off center. This lets the expander ball center itself when pulling it back through the case neck. Just something I do.... YMMV

Originally Posted By: featherbombI use an O ring under the decapping rod lock nut on RCBS sizing dies. If you notice when tightening the nut it has a tendancy to throw the decapping rod and expander ball off center. This lets the expander ball center itself when pulling it back through the case neck. Just something I do.... YMMV

If you run the expander ball just into the case mouth, leave it there and than tighten down the lock nut on the decapping rod assembly it will stay centered.

Back