---Spray Paint Removal----

blopez50

Long story short... I painted a bunch of my AR stuff and I need to undo the job. The most important piece is a scope so I have to kind of be careful there.....

My question is, how do I get this stuff off? Idk how anyone could doubt the durability of a rattle can job... this stuff is ON THERE!

Thanks for the help.

Did you mess it up or just don't like it? I've heard easy off oven cleaner works good but I have no experience with it.

I want to paint or hydrodip mine but I was also wondering about getting it back off the rifle.

For hydrographics/water transfer printing, paint thinner will take the pattern off very easily if there is no clear coat applied yet. Otherwise it will take a little longer and more paint thinner.

As for other kinds of paints, (I've used Krylon and Rustoleum), paint thinner, goo gone, Winchester brand gun cleaner, brake cleaner have all done the job in varying degrees. It's easier to get off before the paint cures.

If you strip the finish off the scope I would use an engine flat black and then a matte or flat rattle can clear coat by Valspar. At Lowe's, the Valspar brand has an exceptional plastic primer (adhesion promoter) for items like rifle stocks. These are usually ABS plastic but sometimes can be polyethylene or polypropylene which are mixed with a release agent to get them out of the mold.

The release agents work against paint adhesion. Another solution to draw out the release agent is to take a Bernz-o-matic torch on the lowest setting and pass it over the surface of the item until you see a slight shine taking place. As soon as you see that, take a rag and pour some denatured alcohol on it and wipe down the surface.

Any questions, PM me.

Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't mess it up.. just had a change of heart. It is the bright red AR that I'm putting together. I had planned on doing a black webbing but when I got my upper, lower, and tube today (from painting), they were a much nicer color than what I had used on my scope.... So I'm gonna ditch the black webbing and just do straight red and black.

Originally Posted By: HereticFor hydrographics/water transfer printing, paint thinner will take the pattern off very easily if there is no clear coat applied yet. Otherwise it will take a little longer and more paint thinner.

As for other kinds of paints, (I've used Krylon and Rustoleum), paint thinner, goo gone, Winchester brand gun cleaner, brake cleaner have all done the job in varying degrees. It's easier to get off before the paint cures.

If you strip the finish off the scope I would use an engine flat black and then a matte or flat rattle can clear coat by Valspar. At Lowe's, the Valspar brand has an exceptional plastic primer (adhesion promoter) for items like rifle stocks. These are usually ABS plastic but sometimes can be polyethylene or polypropylene which are mixed with a release agent to get them out of the mold.

The release agents work against paint adhesion. Another solution to draw out the release agent is to take a Bernz-o-matic torch on the lowest setting and pass it over the surface of the item until you see a slight shine taking place. As soon as you see that, take a rag and pour some denatured alcohol on it and wipe down the surface.

Any questions, PM me.

this should go in the tech page!!

I would hope your scope was hard coat anodized which is a surface conversion, not a coating.

I've stripped a few scopes I had previously painted with Duracoat and the scope looks brand new underneath the paint.

I made the decision to just paint over it.......

The only thing that was working for me was sand paper and I didn't feel like doing that... An extra coat never hurt.

Duracoat sells some spray on stuff that might help.

Look on your spray can and see what base it was and call a paint store.

You can alway sand blast. Walnut shells work best.

Brake fluid seems to peel paint fairly well. I don't know what it would do to the original finish though. Has anybody tried it?

I've used Lacquer Thinner and a wash cloth.
keep turning the cloth to a clean spot and soak it good.
I've done scopes and actions this way. Good Luck.

I've changed the look of three Krylon paint jobs (so far). I've used brake cleaner. Took two cans and a little elbow grease.

I've also used "Dyno Wipes". I got them at the truck parts store that re-lines brakes, sells truck parts, and builds drivelines. Just scrubs the paint right off. (Takes tar off the chrome on my bike too). It does require some time and effort though.

The third (an easiest method) I've found so far is; just re-paint over it! I've got one upper that has three different paint jobs under the one it's currently wearing. Can't hardly tell when it gets scratched, as it's just a different camo under.

When I worked construction many years ago we used alcohol and some time lacquer thinner to clean paint on carpet. Alcohol is slow but is very gental. It is best to test lacquer thinner on a small portion first because it can melt some plastics, but is almost as good a paint strippers.

Just be aware that if you slosh around in stripper it will soak into your hands and your skin will begin to sort of peel loose. Been there done that and make sure you have lots of ventilation too, nasty fumes. I've done a lot of painting and stripping on everything under the sun BUT guns and I can tell you one general thing. If you care about the finish under the paint being removed be as gently as possible. If it was me I would get a quart of good ole laquer paint thinner. Rub that around to do the deed as necessary. It's not the bestest / fastest but you won't disturb the underlying anodizing easily. Remember, you can never ever hope to create as nice and solid finish on aluminum as they did at the factory did or at least nothing that I know of. Be gentle.

I dont wanna take over your topic but it fits mine as well....... If i paint my r15 wich is already max 1 camo from factory. If and when i ever go to remove my paint job and i use these items explained on here, will it hurt my original paint job? Did anyone follow that lol.

Back