How does a lower affect accuracy?

The biggest difference is usually in the trigger group and the fit of the pins holding it in place..Smooth, crisp triggers that have been tuned are pretty expensive compared to the factory offerings...You'll find that is one of the first things that most people change on a factory stock lower...There are a couple of other "upgrades" that can be responsible for an increased cost..

Originally Posted By: rgvt4So what is the difference between a $150 lower to a $450 one?

If you're talking stripped lowers, the difference is in the roll mark (brand/logo) and whether it is forged or billet. Name brands are just that, a name, but some people will pay more for a name than I will. Billet receivers are more of a custom job, therefore more expensive. I've built quite a few lowers, Rock River, DPMS, LAR Grizzly, Spikes, Aero Precision, Noveske, Stag, DSA, Seekins Precision (billet) and probably one or two others. The real difference between any of them except the Seekins, is how well they finish it off (bead blast, tooling marks, parkerizing)and the fit of the LPK and upper to lower. My favorites are:

Aero, for $70 ea, they do a great job on the fit and finish. I wish I could find them for that price again, I'd buy another 3-pack just because.

Noveske, very nice, kinda spendy, but I love their roll mark.

Spikes, nice lowers and I like the spider logo.

Seekins, very expensive, but the cool factor is a 10.

AS OT says mostly the trigger group. That will affect accuracy fo 90% of shooters. Buy the cheapest lower you can find, and put in a super nice trigger group, and you will have no worries about an accuracy let down from the lower.

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70Originally Posted By: rgvt4So what is the difference between a $150 lower to a $450 one?

If you're talking stripped lowers, the difference is in the roll mark (brand/logo) and whether it is forged or billet. Name brands are just that, a name, but some people will pay more for a name than I will. Billet receivers are more of a custom job, therefore more expensive. I've built quite a few lowers, Rock River, DPMS, LAR Grizzly, Spikes, Aero Precision, Noveske, Stag, DSA, Seekins Precision (billet) and probably one or two others. The real difference between any of them except the Seekins, is how well they finish it off (bead blast, tooling marks, parkerizing)and the fit of the LPK and upper to lower. My favorites are:

Aero, for $70 ea, they do a great job on the fit and finish. I wish I could find them for that price again, I'd buy another 3-pack just because.

Noveske, very nice, kinda spendy, but I love their roll mark.

Spikes, nice lowers and I like the spider logo.

Seekins, very expensive, but the cool factor is a 10.

+1....Noveske and Stag lowers are made on the same CNC machine at the same company, the only difference is what name is roll stamped on the side. Noveske lowers are around $180 and Stag are around $100.

Originally Posted By: tactical assaultIt does not affect it at all.

That's not entirely true. A sloppy fitting set of receivers will not provide as much accuracy as a tight fitting pair. Will it matter enough to notice? Depends on how well you shoot and the type of shooting.

The barrel and trigger will make much more of an impact to overall accuracy, as well as how the parts are machined and fitted.

Originally Posted By: HPWOriginally Posted By: tactical assaultIt does not affect it at all.

That's not entirely true. A sloppy fitting set of receivers will not provide as much accuracy as a tight fitting pair. Will it matter enough to notice? Depends on how well you shoot and the type of shooting.

The barrel and trigger will make much more of an impact to overall accuracy, as well as how the parts are machined and fitted.

EXACTLY. If you could get down in a nice comfortable shooting position with a bolt action rifle...and someone could walk over and wiggle the action inside the stock...would you expect any reliable accuracy? Not likely.

So if your AR upper/lower fit has any wiggle...why would that be any different?

It's not so much the lower...its the fit between the pair.

My dpms is sloppy.

743ff05a.jpg

I must not be doing something right.

Take a foam ear plug and put it in the lower, immediately below where the rear pin lug rests and you will find that 95% of your 'slop' disappears...Or, you can install a thin "O Ring" over the same ear and it will accomplish the same effect...

I'm going to still have to stick with " no effect at all. My Colt has more slop in it than a pigs feed bucket and shoot just as good as my other ARs. A good trigger, etc. Will surely help your gun shoot better, but the question as I take it is about the physical movement between the upper and lower. Just my cents. Of course this argument could last longer than the DI v. Piston thread.

Lots of factory bolt action rifles that aren't bedded shoot "just fine" too, but that doesn't make it a valid argument.

A proper fit reduces variables. Simple as that.

There's zero argument. An AR15 lower affects accuracy by zero percent. It can affect your ABILITY to shoot accurately(read: trigger group, grip-to-shooter fitment, etc), but has no impact on the rifle's accuracy.

Everything--and I mean everything--that makes or breaks an AR's accuracy is in the upper. Bolt, chamber, barrel...yep, all there.

That all being said, I appreciate the "anti slop" device in my Sig M400 just for what it is, making my carbine feel more solid.

i didnt say were i was shooting from.
smile.gif

c1c08dcb.jpg

Heres a group i shot lastnight at 200yds after i mounted and zeroed my millet trs-1 at 100yds. I was aiming at the top splatter. I scientifically measured the slop in my gun by flipping out my bi pod. Then tipping the but up so the barrel acted like the third leg of a tri pod, with a 30rd mag inserted i wiggled it side to side and measured it at the end of the mag. Mine has 3/16" side to side movment.

Back