Load for Speer 125 gr TNT's

Daze

I shoot an LAR-8 with 1x10 26" barrel. The purpose is to blast p-dogs. Thought i would see if they shoot any better than the 110 vmax. My first attempts were with xbr 8208. I tried 47.5 gr and 48 gr of this and saw ejector marks on my new Lapua cases. Used CCI br2 primers, col 2.69. Vertical stringing was bad. Any suggested powders? I load with a Dillon. On hand I have imr4227, tac, varget, cfe 223 and benchmark. Also curious as to what works best on p-dogs. These or the 110 vmax.

Last edited:
748 is your huckleberry! Start off at 49g and work your way up with two shot groups to 52.0g, stop if you see pressure.

You should expect to see the bullet touching or in the same hole.

Shame Hornady does not make a 125g V max. This bullet weight in a 308 is extremely accurate, even the Barnes Tripple shock with just a few more grains of bullet weight.

Let us know how things turn out.

As I said above, between 49.5-52.0g of 748 is going to really amaze you, fed 210 primer.

Ball C2 will be close, don't know for sure.

Good luck

Made it to the range today. Tried blc2 with no great results. I did go ahead and fire my 48.5 gr of XBR 8208 even though I was afraid of high pressure. Wow. Shot a 5 shot group just over a half inch. The brass ejects a long ways and there are ejector marks on a couple of the cases. Other than that no signs of pressure. How big a deal are ejector marks?

Is it common for the hottest loads to be the most accurate?

Originally Posted By: DazeMade it to the range today. Tried blc2 with no great results. I did go ahead and fire my 48.5 gr of XBR 8208 even though I was afraid of high pressure. Wow. Shot a 5 shot group just over a half inch. The brass ejects a long ways and there are ejector marks on a couple of the cases. Other than that no signs of pressure. How big a deal are ejector marks?

Is it common for the hottest loads to be the most accurate?

".. and there are ejector marks on a couple of the cases. Other than that no signs of pressure."

You're kidding, right???
w00t.gif

"... How big a deal are ejector marks?"

They are a big deal...

... they are a REALLY big deal!!
w00t.gif
thumbdown.gif
w00t.gif

I'm not kidding. I even showed the cases to the range instructor. He thought they looked fine. He wasn't familiar with the issue of ejector marks. I've always focused on what the primers look like.

Just tried 48.1 gr of Varget. Shot 5 into .6". One of the cases got screwed up during cycling and the bullet wasn't even going straight. Tried to straighten it a bit by hand. It still shot into the ragged hole. Even though 48 gr of varget is the lowest load shown for s 125 gr bullet I still see a shiny spot from the ejector on my brand new brass. Maybe I don't understand what ejector marks look like.

Woops, got started on page two. my bad. I guess ya'll are talking about a .308 in a oversized AR? I was lost for a while. Can you post a picture of the cases?

Last edited:
Back