Any Marlin X7vh 22/250 reviews yet?

REA

I did a search on the net and couldn't find any reviews on the 22/250.

For around $300 they should be catching on by now. Anyone tried one yet? Thanks.

Myself and two of my hunting partners all ordered the X7 in 22-250 and as far as accuracy goes they do shoot extremely well, even for a bargain basement priced gun. The major issue two of us have had was we were unable to get enough elevation adjustment out of the scope and it would shoot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds but we had to aim 2 mil dots off on both guns. After two bases, three sets of rings and three scopes later (per gun) we tore all the guns apart and broke out the micrometer and started measuring. Two of the guns were 15/1000 of an inch smaller when measured from the top to the bottom of the receiver. Both these guns experienced the same elevation issue and were only a few numbers off on the serial number. The other gun had no issues but had a considerably higher serial number (manufacturing issue?). We returned both guns to Marlin and they "determined" that the cause was a barrel/received misalignment problem (BS? your call). Not sure if anyone has dealt with Marlin but IMO their customer service is absolute crap! No notification that they received the rifle, absolutley no updates, even a simple e-mail from time to time. Every update we received was after a 20-30 minute wait and several times all I could get from them was that the gun is at the factory but we dont have any status on where it is or what process it is undergoing. So new gun, return to factory for replacement, wait almost four months, with no compensation = someone whos not too keen on Marlin customer service. Also just received word today, after I called them that my new gun was shipped on the 24th and delivery was attampted today, thanks Marlin again for yur wornerful customer service and notification.

Yeah they look ok and marlin rimfires I know have a great reputation.

The thing is you can get a savage axis for under 300 and it is a proven tack driver so why bother?

I didn't have a Marlin but that is the same outstanding customer service I got for a band new Rem 700 that wouldn't camber factory cartridges. Because of my poor experience with Remington (who now owns Marlin) customer service I will not buy anything made by either of them.

I have one in 22-250. It is an accurate gun...it will shoot almost every factory load I've tried within an inch for 3 shots at 100 yds.
Mine has an issue too...something is apparently wrong with the extractor and it will not throw shells out properly...if you can even close the bolt on one. You get what you pay for.
It is made for colony varmints...way too heavy and long for a calling rifle. I know all bull barrel varmint rifles are front heavy...but this one has about the worse balance I've ever seen. IMO, way worse than a 700 SPS Varmint. Overall I am not impressed.

I have to agree with gadogkilla that they are really front end heavy and kind of a pain to carry on long walk in hunts, but with the way mine shoots, I don't mind packing it around. I topped the rifle with Warne rings and a 4-12 Vortex Diamondback for right at $600 total. Mine shoots almost any ammo you can throw in it, but loves hornady superformance and the cheap Winchester white box ammo the best. It consistently shoots 3/4" groups or less at 100yds with most ammo. I have ran 350+ rounds through it so far and haven't had a lick of trouble out of it. I chose to go the bargain route for coyote hunting cause I tend to be really rough on rifles while yote hunting (got tired of beating up my savage) and i dont regret buying the marlin at all. With that being said, TD660 has a very good point about the axis, they are tack drivers and will shoot with the best of them plus they are a bit easier to pack around as a calling gun and a bit cheaper. If you are looking for a bargain rifle with fully adjustable trigger, heavy barrel and a consistent shooter go with the marlin. Good luck.

P.S. Haven't had to deal with their customer service so i don't have that sour taste in my mouth...YET

Shelton

Last edited:
FInally recieved my new gun yesterday and apparently Marlington held true to their word about test firing it, barrel, receiver and bolt were trashed but nothing a bit of elbow grease couldnt fix. Took it to the range right away and was back shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yds with Hornady V-max handloads. New scope is a bit of overkill, 5-20 Nikon Monarch, but did not have any trouble seeing the target. Decided to stretch its legs a bit and shot 5 three round groups at 300 yds the smallest at a whopping 7/8" and the largest opening up to 1 7/16". Again I really do believe the gun will far outshoot me but the whole customer service thing was a total turn off. Hopefully I will have better luck with my new Rem 700 (7MM Mag) once I finish up reloading a few rounds.

I purchased this gun recently. I had the same problem as gunnerjeff. After going to the range for initial shoot, I could not get scope to adjust enough. Came home and bust the scope out of rings. Then I removed the screws from one end of the base. There was a .020 difference when pressing on it. I shimmed it and things are all good. I have a Marlin 22mag semi bull barrel that is just awesome. It is 20 yrs old and still shoots 2 inch, 5 rnd groups at 100yds. Apparently Marlin doesnt have that quality control anymore. I checked their website and the only way to contact them is by phone. On the positive side, I have this gun shooting 1" groups at 300 with my handloads.

Last edited:
Back