Now thats a gun collection...

hm,,, thanks for the insight as well as demonstrating that you don't have to insult a person with snide, sarcastic comments to do so.

I'll post some pix of the attempt at pouring concrete curbs with a key-way for target stands that are completely unusable. (6000.00)
And the 8000.00 Sporting Clays course that consists of an old Con-ex and two stations twenty feet apart.

I don't really care and ain't ripping on the NRA, but I'm sure that wasn't what the folks who gave their hard earned money to em had in mind.
And yea,,, the Gubment as well as other private interests do the same thing when giving out grants, but two wrongs still don't make a right.
Again,,, JMO

Oops. Not sure what happened, first attempt did not post, so re-typed and when posted the replacement, first one was there??? Sorry double post.
Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Understand where you're comin' from Pete. Just thought you might appreciate a bit of insight into the grant process.

Doubt we'll ever perfect a process that will insure that no funds are wasted but we try.

Since the grant committes are made up 100% of volunteers that worked hard to raise the funds being granted, all of the ones I have served on have been pretty tight fisted with the funds and I've seen a number of grants refused when we detected a lot of pork in the request. Still, I'm sure some ill-advised projects slip through the cracks. The after-action report doesn't do much to address poorly planned or executed projects, only assures that the funds were spent in accordance with the approved grant request.

NRA is far from perfect, but through strength in numbers it is our one best bet when it comes to keeping the politicians in line as they fear retribution at the voting box from a well informed electorate. That is what NRA does best.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Oops. Not sure what happened, first attempt did not post, so re-typed and when posted the replacement, first one was there??? Sorry double post.
Regards,
hm

No sweat. I do that kinda stuff all the time.
blush.gif

Like I said, I'll take some pix the next time I'm there.
It's actually pretty sad. The curbs I spoke of weren't ready when the concrete showed up, so instead of pulling the forms up and getting em level, they just poured em to the contour of the land. Looks like an ocean LOL. Then it took em two years to get the 2X out of the key-way since no one really considered that before-hand. Even now the 2X2 target stands won't fit in the wavy key-way so nobody uses em.
If that don't make ya laugh (or cry) the Two Station Sporting Clays course, which is just two stations literally 20' apart looking at a steep hill side across a drainage ditch surely will.

Not sure what they told the NRA before or after the fact but it's a mess, and dammm sure a waste of money.

PS,,, I worked there as a volenteer RO for three years untill the concrete debacle.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nightmare.

I served as higpower rifle director in a mid-sized gun club during an expansion period where we built a 600 yard range complete w/target pits where we conducted NRA affiliated HP matches. A lot of our construction work was accomplised thanks to FONRA grant(s) and we did a lot of the work w/club volunteers in order to stretch the $$$$. We were fortunate to have an engineer on the board and some gifted craftsmen which made the project go much smoother. Had a couple of snags, but nothing like what your club experienced.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Sounds like a nightmare.

Yea,,,, as a retired construction superintendent it was pretty painfull to watch, but the resident "Experts" doing the job weren't interested in what I had to say so I butted out.

The failed target stands were bad enough, but the so called "Sporting Clays Course" was clearly them spending money just because they could get their hands on it.

Like I said, "It's a mess" and a pizz poor use of the NRA members money.

Back