Coyote Surprise

Spartacus

I took a neighbor out yesterday for his first coyote hunt. It was about a two hour drive so I explained to him everything I know about coyote hunting. That took all of about 15 minutes. We get to a good area that has lots of high spots overlooking small valleys that I've called before.
During the first stand we see one coyote about 20 minutes into the stand playing pup distress. It was 300 yards out and moving away at a good trot.
Second stand we call in six deer from about 500 yards away. They made there way to within about 20 yards of my call. My pup decides that is time to bark and chase some deer. I figure thats a good time to kick in the pup distress while the dog is barking. Finished that stand without seeing anything.
The third stand was cluster from the start. We had hiked about a mile from the truck to a nice area that doesn't see a lot of action. There is a lot of loose rock on the top of this hill and rock and debris are sliding all over. Finally get situated and I drop down about 40 yards and set up the call down the hill from us. Come back to the stand, get comfortable, rifle ready, hit the Foxpro remote, and no sound. I'm sure I turned it on. I head back down to the call and check it out. It's on, so I turn it off and back on to reset it. I make my way back to the stand, same routine, hit the remote and nothing again! Sheeze! What a mess! I figure one more try and going to use my hand calls if it doesn't work. This time I take the remote with me. I get it working and go back to the stand for the third time. I'm not having much faith in this stand. I get everything settled down and start with TT's Jack Frenzy. I run that for 8 minutes and wait for another 5minutes. I go to Coyote Pair for 2 minutes and about 45 seconds into it, 9 yards to my left is a coyote. No Frigging Way!
This is wide open country, I told my neighbor the night before when he asked about bringing a shotgun. Nope, we won't need one where we are going. We'll see them long before they get that close!
The coyote looks at me and my dog at about the same time I see it. He drops off the side of the hill and I jump up and run over there trying to see if I can get a shot. He is on a run now and I fire a couple of prayer shots. My neighbor lets his open sited AR join in the fun. Surprisingly, he is real close with his shots but no dice.

den.jpg

It turns out this coyote was laying inside a small hole in the rocks right next to where I was sitting. I walked right over him back and forth 3 times and he listened to 8 minutes of Tony Tebbe holding his rabbit by the ears. He only came out when I started the coyote pair. You can see the hole in the picture. It's just big enough for one coyote to lay down in. I was sitting next to the tree on the rocks right above the hole.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, now you know where to look next time. I'm sure others will use that spot for a nap or to lay up for a while.

That's one for the record book.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Well, now you know where to look next time. I'm sure others will use that spot for a nap or to lay up for a while.

That's one for the record book.

I marked the spot on my GPS. I'll wait till it gets a little hotter and head over there again.

Back