fathers day special again... GOT IT!!... with a quick review.

cornstalker

I received my upper last week. Other than missing the BO Tac Latch, it is everything I asked for. I wanted to build a lightweight calling rig, so I went with the 18" barrel and the NFA LW15 lower. Scoped and assembled it weighs 7.5 lbs.

100_3358.jpg

First thing I did was run some patches through the bore. The first one stopped at the gas port. I pushed harder and ripped it. The second one stopped too, but did not rip. Three, four, and five had very minor resistance. Visually inspecting it, I could see a booger at the gas port hole. Figuring that this was no big deal I headed to the range.

At the range I started having a problem with my scope. I could not dial out the parallax on it at 100 yards, and had difficulty focusing it so I could even see well enough to shoot groups. Since I drove out there I shot anyways.

Cheap Remmy ammo produced 1.5" to 2" groups.

My first (and only) three shot group with handloaded Sierra 55 grain SGK's (hBN coated) over Benchmark, .583".

My first (and only) three shot group with handloaded Sierra 55 grain Blitzkings (hBN coated) over Benchmark, 1.131" Two bullets in .467" and a flier. Due to the scope issue I am having a hard time blaming that group on the rifle. Time will tell.

I can't wait so see what it will do when the faulty scope is fixed. I believe it's a keeper.

Cleaning up after the fact, the booger is gone and it is difficult to even see where the gas port is. Patches glide through unobstructed.

Not much of a review, but thought I would share what I had.

I have said enough in the past about my views of the customer service experience, and will say no more. Scott and I have resolved our differences as much as we ever will, and both of us look forward to putting it to rest. Please do not use this thread to re-ignite the brawl.

I know there is still a lot of frustration going on. Understandably so.

It does say a lot that the mods and some admin are willing to help try to straighten this mess out, and I recommend that those who are having a tough time take them up on their offer to assist.

Nice looking rifle, im glad to hear you got it and everything functions(cept the glass that is) that 3 shot soup with the sierra's should most def get the job done.
thumbup1.gif

That will happen from time to time, drilling a gas port can cause a bur that will shoot out after a few rounds. The Benchmark load sounds good! Might try the OCW method with Benchmark, and see if you can hit the lottery. Rifle sure looks great! Good report Sir!!!!

Optimal Charge Weight. There is a member here who host his own forum on reloading. His name is Dan Newberry. Google his OCW method and read through some of the theory and see if it is of any interest to you.

Back