Kelby's Precision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2208962 - 04/29/12 12:02 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: pahntr760]
WeaselCircus Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southwest Idaho
Yeah, I think it must have something to do with the previous shot. I don't recall it being a hit. Definitely not the wrong ammo, since I don't even own a 22mag. Had to have been a squib like you guys said, or some kind of split case issue on the previous shot that got jammed up somehow.

I just got back from the gun shop where I bought the rifle and they are sending it back to Savage for me. I also plan to call Savage and maybe CCI on Monday and see what they have to say. I'll let you guys know any updates if you are interested.

Oh, and I am curious about the one other issue I have had with that gun - fairly regular misfires. About one shot out of every 30-50 rounds would misfire, just not go off at all. I could usually cycle the action and try that round again and most of the time it would then fire, but it did seem odd that it would happen so regularly. I haven't had any other gun do that, and I've only ever had the one 17hmr rifle, so I didn't know if it was the gun's fault or just a quirk of 17hmr ammo.

#2208969 - 04/29/12 12:11 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: pahntr760]
eric n Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: ca
Wonder why the bolt was sticky?Sounds like an ammo issue.Did it chamber smoothly?Mine would occasionaly not feed and push the bullet into the case.I lost trust in mine when I started looking at the case necks and had splits also.
Yes,mine would misfire occasionally,must be a savage thing.

Edited by eric n (04/29/12 12:14 AM)

#2208991 - 04/29/12 12:34 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: RePete]
midwestpredator Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: nd
Originally Posted By: RePete
Originally Posted By: Smokeless

I would not blame Savage just yet, but then again, I would have never bought one in the first place.

Same here.
As much as I dislike Savage rifles, it almost sounds like you had a Squib Load (I think that's the right terminology).
Betcha there's two bullets stuck in that barrel.
If that's the case, it actually says something for the strength of the action.

this is true... im sure that either savage or CCI will replace it for you. would be a media [beeep] storm if it got out to the public that they were not going to warranty it.

you are very lucky to have all both your eyeballs and all your face intact.

Im very glad you were not hurt and its good thing it wasnt handloads you were shooting, you'd be SOL for sure

#2209003 - 04/29/12 12:48 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: midwestpredator]
W7NB Offline

Loc: Springfield, OR
I have had 0 problems with my Savage .17 HMR with feeding issues miss-fires etc, and it has been through a couple thousand rounds. While it is the heavy barrel version with the laminate stock, I believe they are identical actions.

I am starting to wonder about the .17HMR round itself. With all the issues with semi-autos and now a number of failure reports in other forums as well I'm thinking CCI may have some QC issues with the round. I believe CCI makes virtually everyone's .17 load, just different bullets - does anybody know for sure?

#2209044 - 04/29/12 02:55 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: W7NB]
VarmintsBeware Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Utah
I used my Savage 17HMR with Hornaday 17gr VMAX ammo and shot about 300 hunred rounds last month PD hunting. Didnt seem to have any problems other then me not knowing how to shoot a 17HMR quite yet as accurate as I like to be.

I am glad you are OK and not injured, especially with your eyesight. Thats why I wear shooting glasses even while hunting, just in case.

DOCUMENT everything, pictures, on paper, date and time, weather conditions, ammo used (even if same or different brands)
Have the gunsmith do the same: take pictures,document thoroughly on paper what they discovered and did to the rifle.
Like a crime scene investigation, because it could lead to civil litigation of some sort ie: difference in way rifle is manufactured/ ammo is manufactured that will change.

Once again, glad you are OK

wayne

#2209050 - 04/29/12 03:13 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: VarmintsBeware]
HPW Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Glad to hear that you are OK. I think it is funny though that everyone is blaming it on being a Savage. If you have a bullet lodged in the barrel and fire another round it doesn't matter what gun you have, there are going to be problems.

It's a good thing it was a rim fire and not a big center fire round as it could have been much worse.

#2209051 - 04/29/12 03:13 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: VarmintsBeware]
HPW Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Glad to hear that you are OK. I think it is funny though that everyone is blaming it on being a Savage. If you have a bullet lodged in the barrel and fire another round it doesn't matter what gun you have, there are going to be problems.

It's a good thing it was a rim fire and not a big center fire round as it could have been much worse.

#2209081 - 04/29/12 06:29 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: VarmintsBeware]
willy1947 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ohio, Ohio
Originally Posted By: VarmintsBeware
I used my Savage 17HMR with Hornaday 17gr VMAX ammo and shot about 300 hunred rounds last month PD hunting. Didnt seem to have any problems other then me not knowing how to shoot a 17HMR quite yet as accurate as I like to be.

I am glad you are OK and not injured, especially with your eyesight. Thats why I wear shooting glasses even while hunting, just in case.

DOCUMENT everything, pictures, on paper, date and time, weather conditions, ammo used (even if same or different brands)
Have the gunsmith do the same: take pictures,document thoroughly on paper what they discovered and did to the rifle.
Like a crime scene investigation, because it could lead to civil litigation of some sort ie: difference in way rifle is manufactured/ ammo is manufactured that will change.

Once again, glad you are OK

wayne

+1

#2209114 - 04/29/12 09:00 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: willy1947]
mrbgt Offline

Loc: ohio
Sounds like the ammo to me as well ,squib ! I would think the companies involved would step up and help you out , just contact them . Did you check to see if theres a recall on any hmr ammo ?

#2209123 - 04/29/12 09:28 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: mrbgt]
JimOliver Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Alabama
Due to the nature of rimfire cartridges, the priming compound sometimes does not completely fill the internal void of the rim. There can be gaps in the compound that cause misfires or weak combustion.

I have fired thousands of rimfire cartridges shooting .22 target pistols and there have been lots of misfires and a few weak loads; maybe not what I would call squib loads, but weak combustion.

If the ones that misfire are turned to present a new spot for the firing pin to hit, they usually fire. Sometimes, even that doesn't work---leading me to think that there was little or no priming compound in the rim.

FWIW, sounds like an ammo issue to me, with maybe a weak burn which left a bullet lodged, then another round afterwards.

Glad you survived with no injuries, a credit to the Savage.

Jim

Edited by JimOliver (04/29/12 01:32 PM)

#2209133 - 04/29/12 09:45 AM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: VarmintsBeware]
zilla Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: RS, Wyoming
I don't think the split case deal is exclusive to Savage. I had a NEF in 17 that would also split em once in a while.. I am thinking this is an ammunition problem..

FWIW i once had a 22 rimfire bullet lodge in the barrel, unknown to me. I fired another on top of it. Only thing that happened was a slightly bulged barrel which I caught while cleaning.

#2209473 - 04/29/12 08:46 PM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: zilla]
Dogwood Creek Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: w.central Pa.
I have 2 rimfire Savages. A .22 LR and a .22 mag. They are OK,but nothing special. Correct me if I'm wrong,but aren't they made in Canada?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

#2209478 - 04/29/12 08:52 PM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: Dogwood Creek]
pahntr760 Offline
PM senior

Loc: South Dakota
My mod93 says Canada on the bbl.

#2209525 - 04/29/12 09:52 PM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: VarmintsBeware]
6mm06 Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: USA

It's hard to say at this point if you had a squib load or not. To my understanding, a squib load puts a bullet into the barrel however so far, and when another round is fired, the pressure has to go somewhere. If the bullet was stuck in the barrel and another one landed on top of it, most likely the barrel would split. I didn't notice any damage to your barrel, or even to the forward chamber area.

However, you mentioned that something is there since you can't see through the barrel. Perhaps a bullet just stuck in the lans area and didn't go up into the barrel. I suppose that could account for the stiff bolt closing and damage to the action only. Would be nice to know if a bullet is stuck in the lans.

Several years ago when my son was in high school, he was shooting a little Winchester model 67-A youth single shot .22 rifle. He shot several rounds and all was well. Then he fired one that he said didn't sound right. Not realizing the potential for danger, he then shot another.

Well, the previous bullet lodged in the barrel. Below are photos that illustrate what can happen with a squib load. My son is now 30 years old and still has a tingling sensation in his hand. He is blessed that the good Lord was watching over him that day. He still talks about it. It was a real "earth-shattering" experience for him.

Here's what's left of my son's nice little youth model Winchester. If you notice, the damage was done about where your hand would be on the forearm. Scary stuff.

Perhaps a bullet was stuck in the lans, thus not allowing the last round to chamber properly. The pressure would then be rearward. I'm definitely no expert, I'm just thinking out loud here in trying to reason it all out. Once you find out what is blocking your view through the barrel, then you will know. If it's not a bullet, then there was another issue. For now it's anybody's guess.

All of us will be interested in knowing what really happened. Please keep us informed once you determine the cause.

#2209531 - 04/29/12 10:01 PM Re: My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!! [Re: 6mm06]
Ricky Bobby Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: southern illinois
Unreal!

Those photos are a good example of how fast things happen. I hope I never experience anything like that. I think it would take me a good while to pick up another gun & pull that trigger. Wow!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
48846 Members
83 Forums
290278 Topics
2744245 Posts

Max Online: 3862 @ 12/14/14 10:24 PM
Today's Birthdays
122Coues, 243Ackley, Broiler, emtpredator, hntnnut, INVADER, MTgunner, reallyclosecall, slhanks4, Spinnerbait, spy231, Trapper Trent

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.