My Savage 17hmr blew up today!!!!

WeaselCircus

So I'm out doing some sage rat shooting this morning with my 1 year old Savage 93R17 with the black composite stock and stainless steel varmit barrel. I'd managed to burn through a hundred or so rounds, then I notice that as I'm cycling in a bullet (happened to be the last one in the clip) the bolt seems to feel a bit sticky as it closes. Didn't think too much of it, just assumed I'd gotten a touch of dust into the action. I draw down on a rat, pull the trigger, and feel a massive blast blow out the bottom of the gun. Took me a second to realize what just happened... gun blew up! It blasted the clip out, bent the metal piece that surrounds the clip on the bottom of the gun, and completely fractured the stock. Not sure what kind of internal damage there is, but let's just say this gun has seen it's last shot.

So now I gotta figure out what to do about it. I'm not sure how it exactly happened, and I don't know if this is something Savage will warranty, or if they'll say it was user error and won't take care of it. Also, even if they did offer to replace it, now I'm not sure I want another Savage. It was a fine gun to this point, but I'm a little nervous (understandably). What's another good option for an accurate 17hmr? CZ, Ruger, any others?

savage1.jpg

savage2.jpg

What ammo were you using?

I would not blame Savage just yet, but then again, I would have never bought one in the first place.

I had a 17 HMR in a Savage for a short while. I got large splits in the shoulder and body on about 10% of the fired cases.

I called Savage and they said, "Don't worry, it's normal".

So I didn't worry...

... I sold it!

I'm ok. Shook me up a bit and I had to do a quick check to make sure all my fingers and eyeballs were there and working, and thankfully they were.

Ammo was Hornady Vmax 17gr, which is the only round I've ever used in that rifle. There was a bit of smashed cartridge against the bolt, but I lost that in the walk back to the truck. I think part of it may also now be lodged in the barrel since I can't see any light down it.

Is there any chance the previous load stuck in the barrel? Did it sound funny or weaker than the privious shots did you hit what you aimed at with the previous shot. Do you own a .22 mag where you could have crammed the .22 round back into the case ( if that would even be possible) and touched it off?

When you call Savage and CCI, point out this thread and let them know we are all waiting to see how they handle the situation.

Glad you are okay!! I would be very interested to know what caused it, if you are able to figure it out.

The fact that you had to force it in a little makes me think it was the ammo and not the weapon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: viperIs there any chance the previous load stuck in the barrel? Did it sound funny or weaker than the privious shots did you hit what you aimed at with the previous shot. Do you own a .22 mag where you could have crammed the .22 round back into the case ( if that would even be possible) and touched it off?

Thats what I thaught too..

Originally Posted By: Smokeless

I would not blame Savage just yet, but then again, I would have never bought one in the first place.

Same here.
As much as I dislike Savage rifles, it almost sounds like you had a Squib Load (I think that's the right terminology).
Betcha there's two bullets stuck in that barrel.
If that's the case, it actually says something for the strength of the action.

Originally Posted By: cyoteklerOriginally Posted By: viperIs there any chance the previous load stuck in the barrel? Did it sound funny or weaker than the previous shots did you hit what you aimed at with the previous shot. Do you own a .22 mag where you could have crammed the .22 round back into the case ( if that would even be possible) and touched it off?

That's what I thought too..

No way a 22WMR would ever chamber in a HMR no matter how hard you pushed. (Ignore my sig line
grin.gif
)

Curious to know if you hit what you aimed at on the previous shot though.
Betcha didn't.

Originally Posted By: RePeteCurious to know if you hit what you aimed at on the previous shot though.
Betcha didn't.

Probably not even a poof of dust or anything. That'd be my guess.

Yeah, I think it must have something to do with the previous shot. I don't recall it being a hit. Definitely not the wrong ammo, since I don't even own a 22mag. Had to have been a squib like you guys said, or some kind of split case issue on the previous shot that got jammed up somehow.

I just got back from the gun shop where I bought the rifle and they are sending it back to Savage for me. I also plan to call Savage and maybe CCI on Monday and see what they have to say. I'll let you guys know any updates if you are interested.

Oh, and I am curious about the one other issue I have had with that gun - fairly regular misfires. About one shot out of every 30-50 rounds would misfire, just not go off at all. I could usually cycle the action and try that round again and most of the time it would then fire, but it did seem odd that it would happen so regularly. I haven't had any other gun do that, and I've only ever had the one 17hmr rifle, so I didn't know if it was the gun's fault or just a quirk of 17hmr ammo.

Wonder why the bolt was sticky?Sounds like an ammo issue.Did it chamber smoothly?Mine would occasionaly not feed and push the bullet into the case.I lost trust in mine when I started looking at the case necks and had splits also.
Yes,mine would misfire occasionally,must be a savage thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

Same here.
As much as I dislike Savage rifles, it almost sounds like you had a Squib Load (I think that's the right terminology).
Betcha there's two bullets stuck in that barrel.
If that's the case, it actually says something for the strength of the action.

this is true... im sure that either savage or CCI will replace it for you. would be a media [beeep] storm if it got out to the public that they were not going to warranty it.

you are very lucky to have all both your eyeballs and all your face intact.

Im very glad you were not hurt and its good thing it wasnt handloads you were shooting, you'd be SOL for sure

I have had 0 problems with my Savage .17 HMR with feeding issues miss-fires etc, and it has been through a couple thousand rounds. While it is the heavy barrel version with the laminate stock, I believe they are identical actions.

I am starting to wonder about the .17HMR round itself. With all the issues with semi-autos and now a number of failure reports in other forums as well I'm thinking CCI may have some QC issues with the round. I believe CCI makes virtually everyone's .17 load, just different bullets - does anybody know for sure?

I used my Savage 17HMR with Hornaday 17gr VMAX ammo and shot about 300 hunred rounds last month PD hunting. Didnt seem to have any problems other then me not knowing how to shoot a 17HMR quite yet as accurate as I like to be.

I am glad you are OK and not injured, especially with your eyesight. Thats why I wear shooting glasses even while hunting, just in case.

DOCUMENT everything, pictures, on paper, date and time, weather conditions, ammo used (even if same or different brands)
Have the gunsmith do the same: take pictures,document thoroughly on paper what they discovered and did to the rifle.
Like a crime scene investigation, because it could lead to civil litigation of some sort ie: difference in way rifle is manufactured/ ammo is manufactured that will change.

Once again, glad you are OK

wayne

Back