charging handle not coming back

Get a suppressor! It will increase the back pressure and lock that bolt back. Of course it probably will like a different load though.

Yes "get a suppressor" is my answer to everything.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellwe already did that and the ones i'm now shooting grouped the best-5 shots covered with a nickel. there was one other that did fairly well so we're gonna try that. if that don't work, back to square one. i had no trouble until halfway through a box of around 40 he reloaded in one sitting. that has us confused now because they are the same loads. shooting 32 gr. hornady v-max with 22.7 gr. of imr 4198. i misspoke when i said all chambering issues. there was some gunk in the gas port on barrel which was causing rounds not to chamber, now only problem is bolt not locking back after last shot. isn't exactly a big deal unless it could be dangerous.

I'm shooting a 35gr Berger with 26 grains of Benchmark in my 204.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: jrcampbell there was some gunk in the gas port on barrel which was causing rounds not to chamber,

Junk? What kinda junk? Must of been some pretty good junk to stay in the gas post. Got some major pressure there.

And why would that cause rounds not to chamber?
junk as in fouling, gunsmith thinks that it was blocking gas from letting bolt go back far enough to chamber another round. as soon as he cleaned it rounds chambered again.

he is full length resizing, we're gonna start over with testing loads agin and see if we can find a combo that shoots well and locks bolt back. thanks jspencer, i think the highest grains of powder we tried was 24 gr. still can't figure out why i had no problems until now, even checked some loads i didn't shoot and they were right on with what i was shooting.

sendit, i'd love to get a suppressor, can they be put on a bull barrel?

You can get any suppressor you want on a bull barrel. I got my AR, bull threaded, and my QD mount mounted already, I have a YHM Phantom, waiting for the stamp to come in. With the QD mount it looks pretty flush with my bull.

Once you get a suppressor you will understand how obnoxiously loud ARs really are. Cans make them even more fun (if you can imagine that).

Sendit

Back