Foxpro FX5

Out of date, possibly, but no longer useful...far from it. It's still one of the best caller's FP ever made. I killed countless coyotes over mine, and if I still owned it I'm sure I would still be killing coyotes with it. It is a great e-caller!

I have the new Firestorm and I like all the features except....I can't read the remote screen w/o a flashlight.. I contacted FP and they said it there was no other bigger remotes with larger screens that'll work w/ the FS.... The 4 presets of the FX5 would be kool..

StanwoodSpartan,

The FX5 was discontinued around 2009 and they came with a 5 year warranty. If the unit was bought brand new in that year there will still be about 2 years left on the warranty. You would have to figure out when it was originally purchased to see how much was left on the warranty itself.

If you are referring to the Firestorm for @ $400....you can purchase a brand new one for a couple of dollars more and select your own sounds. That's what I did. I love it except for the fact I am unable to read the screen on the remote....but heck...I'm pushing 50 and eyesights gotta give out sometime I guess...lol....I'll figure something out

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I really liked the FX5. The remote worked far better IMO than the one on My Fury does.

Then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your Fury.

The very first season that I used a Foxpro e-caller it was a FX5. We had tons of coyotes that year and we got 97 coyotes using the FX5 that season.

I couldn't believe how great the mute button and the four preset sounds worked. Being able to stop the sound completely and switch sounds instantly really helped us take more coyotes.

StanwoodSpartan, what sounds and volumes are you going to use on your four presets?

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobStanwoodSpartan, what sounds and volumes are you going to use on your four presets?

No clue yet. You have any tips? I know ditressed cottontail and pup distress will be 2 of them. I'm thinking a locator call and maybe the female challenge....

I know you will have a lot of success with the FX5. I have always felt that the configuration on the remote, with the 4 dedicated presets, the button to toggle between two sounds, and the mute button give you a lot of control. I always kept the Coyote Death Cry on P4, making it easy to engage that preset after a shot.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357I really liked the FX5. The remote worked far better IMO than the one on My Fury does.

Then something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your Fury.

From My feeble reccolection, the antenna was a tad taller on the FX5? Maybe not, But a small ammount of Grass and weeds, or if the unit tips to the side I notice a big difference in the performance. However If I am above the caller and have clear sight to the caller it works well at the 80-100 yd range. I should prolly send it in for a checkup, But I hate sending it out. Maybe later this summer I will.

Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartanOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobStanwoodSpartan, what sounds and volumes are you going to use on your four presets?

No clue yet. You have any tips? I know ditressed cottontail and pup distress will be 2 of them. I'm thinking a locator call and maybe the female challenge....

I am now using a Fury and a CS-24, they both have 10 presets sounds on them.

My number 1 preset is "Coyote Pup Screams" at volume 40. I use this sound to stop coyotes after we shoot. It will call in coyotes too. Coyote Pup Screams seems to be louder and higher pitched than the other Foxpro sounds so that is why I use it for stopping coyotes after the shot.

Another preset sound that I use quite a bit is "Vole Squeaks" at volume 20. Vole Squeaks is a great coaxing sound at lower volumes. If a coyote stops, I switch to Vole Squeaks and most of the time the coyotes can't stand it and they come on in to the high pitched squeaks.

"Coyote Pup Distress 3" is another great Foxpro sound that calls in coyotes very often for me. I use this sound on volume 40 at the end of most of my stands or after using other coyote vocal sounds.

"Male Coyote Challenge 4" on volume 40 has worked great for me around here. When I hear coyotes around here while I am calling, most of the time it is this same sound they are making. The male coyotes don't like to be challenged back and most of the time you can hear them getting more pi$$ed off in their challenges back at you.

If you get a coyote or coyotes challenging back at you for a few minutes switching to "Coyote Pup Distress 3" on volume 40 for a while and then to "Coyote Growls" on volume 40 has worked great for me the last two seasons.

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and got the FX5 and it works awesome, but upon hard times I am forced to resell it. Hopefully down the road I will be able to get one and be able to keep it then
laugh.gif

Back