Colt SP1 "Load Data Needed"

Will Lee

Ok Guys, here is one from the past. Bought her new in 1982, serial # 128XXX. If you know your guns you know what this is and what it is capable of doing.

Colt-SP1---1.jpg

Colt-SP1---2.jpg

Here the situation, it's been a closet queen for more than 25 years while I was chancing the almighty dollar all over the world. Only had maybe 1200 rounds through her and a few times really fast cycled.

Took her out to the lease this year and a dear friend shot her and wants to buy her. I'm thinking of selling it to him but the problem I am having is getting it to shoot groups smaller than 2 MOA a 100 yards. She's got a lot of free bore and loading several different types of bullets and having a OAL of 2.250 so that there is no problems with the mag feed I still can't get her to do better than 2 MOA.

When she was put up I sprayed "something" down the barrel and coated the action and the other day I bore scoped the barrel and it looks bright & shinny.

So sorry for so much detail but if anyone has one of these and getting 1 MOA @ 100 yards out of it WHAT ARE YOU USING.

Thanks
Will

PS: Maybe this needs to be over in the reloading section, I never know exactly where to post these kind of things,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SullyBR549With that light weight barrel I think you are doing really good in getting 2 MOA.

You may be correct but I am going to keep trying to find a load that will group better. I don't believe you can't get better groups out of a light barrel. It's just a matter of continued experimentation and finding a bullet, powder & neck tension that will work with the amount of jump built into these older weapons.
I carried one of these (had a different name but the same weapon) in SE Asia in 68 & 69 and it shoot better than 1 MOA.

The Input is Appreciated,
Will

Originally Posted By: kwg02050 grain V-Max and 24 grains of RL 10X or 25 grains of AA2230. I'm betting it's a 1/10 twist or maybe slower. kwg

1 in 12 Twist.

Need ball powder for my use in my Hornady LNL AP. :-(

Will

I think, if you shot it the way it's set up in the photo with the scope mounted on the carry handle, you may be losing some stability with the scope mount...

I used to have a SP1 with basically the same set up, only I had the Colt 4x scope and with the scope mounted, could never get decent accuracy when compared to shooting with out it..the iron sights at 100 yards were actually a little better than with the scope at the same distance..I figured the problem had to be in the carry handle insert working loose during firing..

The cheap Federal 50gr HPs shot much better than the military hardball (I wasn't reloading then)..Fortunately,, shortly after that, the AWB went into effect and a buyer paid me almost three times what I had in it and I let it go...I've owned eight since and they have all shot better than that one...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI think, if you shot it the way it's set up in the photo with the scope mounted on the carry handle, you may be losing some stability with the scope mount...

I used to have a SP1 with basically the same set up, only I had the Colt 4x scope and with the scope mounted, could never get decent accuracy when compared to shooting with out it..the iron sights at 100 yards were actually a little better than with the scope at the same distance..I figured the problem had to be in the carry handle insert working loose during firing..

The cheap Federal 50gr HPs shot much better than the military hardball (I wasn't reloading then)..Fortunately,, shortly after that, the AWB went into effect and a buyer paid me almost three times what I had in it and I let it go...I've owned eight since and they have all shot better than that one...

I bought a really nice (expensive) carry handle mount for it and it is rock solid. Yea, these guns are really valuable now because of what they are and what they can do. I may not sell it, don't know yet. But I know I can make it group better.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleThe cheap Federal 50gr HPs shot much better than the military hardball (I wasn't reloading then)..Fortunately,, shortly after that, the AWB went into effect and a buyer paid me almost three times what I had in it and I let it go...I've owned eight since and they have all shot better than that one...

That's what I would try. I've had some great groups come from those Federal 50gr hp rounds. Also branded American Eagle and usually sold in bulk 200 round boxes. I've had three SP1 rifles and lighter bullets worked best in mine.

New I could get a little better performance out of her.

Colt-SP1-HDY-55-SP-%26-H-335.jpg

24.7 is 1 MOA or better & 25.3 would have been great had I not jerked that one stray.
smile.gif

I would like to see what a hot loaded 45gr would do for you. I have a bolt/223 with a 1-12 barrel that loves 45gr @ 3600fps. Getting a good trigger in it, will help close the gap.

Back