Wolf howler????

soundogshooter

Is there anyone out there making a wolf howler? Myself and my coyote hunting partner are making plans for an Idaho wolf hunt this year and I wold love to take one with me. Also would be fun to freak out the neighbors. They are used to me stiring up the local coyote pack of an evening. It would be fun to mix it up a little
Thanks, Robert

I've made quite a few, the past few years. Especially when Idaho opened up a season. They are tough to design to get a slow, consistent, long, deep howl that doesn't require an air tank, but it can be done. Alot of time getting one right.

Tony

what part of idaho are you hunting? I live about 45min. from west yellowstone and what i have found is a wolf will come in if your doing an aggressive coyote howl, usually the coyoties will start singing, and one wolf howl and everything goes quiet, but if you throw out a few more yotie howls that gets a wolf awfully mad and they will come in to check it out

We haven't figured that part out yet. We don't want to use a guide so we are looking for large plots of public land. Do you have any suggestions on good places to hunt?

Rich Cronk is still making them, and from what I hear doing pretty good in Alaska.

Brad Holzer made a fine one too, if ya could get lucky enough to talking him to making one.
blush.gif

I hunt the upper snake region and have seen quit afew of them, my buddys use to go to the clearwater, and salmon region elk hunting but say there is nothing but wolves now, all three spots have alot of public ground and every rancher ive talked to has let me on their ground if you ask to hunt wolves, if you come over to my neck of the woods id be more than happy to give you any info i could

The quick and easy solution is to get a plastic funnel with about an 8" opening. Cut off the other end where it will create about an 2" opening (comfortable to your mouth size). Poke a hole on each end and add a string for a shoulder sling. Practise a low deep siren type howl from deep in your diaphragm and you are in business! I have been making these for several years now (about a $1.50 each), I have howled up literally a hundred wolves with this technique as a locater. Occassionally they will come on in to investigate but they may also bug out if you keep howling. My recommendation is to howl only enough to get a response and locate them, then SHUT UP! Move in closer and start fawn distress calls. This works very reliably. P.S. My latest howl is made using those big fat plastic kids wiffle ball bats. Cut off the handle end to suit but only cut a 2-3" hole in the end leaving some of the curved end of the bat to create something of a baffle. I am getting some good resonance and deeper tones. Good Luck!

I have one of Rich's original horn call that he made me that I use for both coyote & wolf. He tuned it so that I could make the lower sund of a wolf but still reach out to coyotes.It is a great piece of art too!

I also do about the same as jcs271 does. I have found that using my own voice works best and I can amplify it using a modified funnel or moose call( basically a funnel). This is useful especially in cold weather so that I don't have to force the sounds which at 20 below can start me coughing.

Back